Need Help!!!

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
While applying for a job they have asked me to ok them looking at my social network, like Facebook, twitter, etc

has anyone encountered this? and what do you think about it and should I ok it or not?

I've never seen this before and I've applied for a lot of jobs over the Internet. It's how I got my job at the schools.

thanks all answers will be appreciated

seems to be the general trend now to check social media for comments and pictures....that is why i advise young people not to have a facebook page under their names

I hear this procedure is becoming popular. When Obama/Democrats can use the NSA, FBI and such to investigate private citizens for political reasons or whatever and privacy is considered a thing of the past, this sorta oppression should be expected.

I would tell them, No, You consider it an invasion of your privacy and if you could prove you didn't get the job because of it, I'd talk to a lawyer.

Give yourself this ONE experience of KNOWINGLY violating your own principles just to observe what it does to you. It can be a useful exercise on occasion.

But once you get used to bending you will always find it easier to do.

So, to thine own self be true.

Maybe document the experience and write a book or shoot a video about it.

Come to a conclusion and give your advice to others?

While applying for a job they have asked me to ok them looking at my social network, like Facebook, twitter, etc

has anyone encountered this? and what do you think about it and should I ok it or not?

I've never seen this before and I've applied for a lot of jobs over the Internet. It's how I got my job at the schools.

ALL HR's these days look at Facebook, Linkedin, Google your name, etc. We even have a "Social Media Policy" in my company. Even if your privacy settings are to your liking - I wouldn't have anything more than a "G" rating on a Facebook page - or elsewhere on the web - if job searching.

I've heard this is becoming more common.

I guess the answer depends on what sort of social media information you have out there. I know there are pictures of me on facebook that I'd rather not have a prospective employer see, but if your social media presence is harmless, I'd say let them check. Otherwise, you're not going to get the job.

Find somebody else to work for. That employer wantsa you soul.

Thanks all...

Very good and helpful...

Especially the one about them wanting my soul...:lol:

Stephanie, (1) how much do you want the job? (2) Go through your social media and limit what prospective employers may find objectionable. (3) Unfortunately, I don't know if lawsuits are going to be able to limit potential employer snooping.

I don't think you or anyone should have to go through this, but . . .

OK it after you clean it up :)

That is one of the reasons I do not participate in the social networks.

Plus, I am too lazy

Find somebody else to work for. That employer wantsa you soul.

they all do. Employers started to snoop in the social networks from the moment they came along. So do the colleges and universities.

This one asked permission, which does not mean that they did not do it BEFORE the permission was received - to compare.

It's a buyers market. They can do whatever they want to you.

Don't like it? Go work somewhere else.

I think it's beyond creepy...and a good reason not to have a facebook or twitter account.

The only account I have under my real name is linkedin - that is my CV and perfectly fine to give to professional contacts.

Hell no. Your personal life and privacy is yours. What you say or do on your own time should have nothing to do with your job.

This is a common practice so just be careful what you have on FB or any other social site or limit which ones you participate in. But they do go and look.

I would say no because your facebook page has nothing to do with your employment application. If they think otherwise find a different job to apply for, Stephanie.

I don't think you should.

Did they ask what church you go to? what bars you might hang out at ? what political group you belong to?

It's invasive and none of their business imo.

Last edited:
Stephanie, (1) how much do you want the job? (2) Go through your social media and limit what prospective employers may find objectionable. (3) Unfortunately, I don't know if lawsuits are going to be able to limit potential employer snooping.

I don't think you or anyone should have to go through this, but . . .

thank you jake, I only have a face book account and I have been looking at it to see if anything is objectionable...I don't think so, but who knows..

Hell no. Your personal life and privacy is yours. What you say or do on your own time should have nothing to do with your job.

that I agree with...I can refuse them if I can figure out how to do it...

Forum List

Back