Need Help!!!

While applying for a job they have asked me to ok them looking at my social network, like Facebook, twitter, etc

has anyone encountered this? and what do you think about it and should I ok it or not?

I've never seen this before and I've applied for a lot of jobs over the Internet. It's how I got my job at the schools.

thanks all answers will be appreciated

depends on the job you are applying for

if it matters or not

Ok, I googled myself and there are 100's of me...I mean there are a lot of people with the same name, I'm shocked..I thought they broke the mold when they made me...lol
I have had a background check and a Security clearance when I worked construction at a Nuclear power plant..So I guess I shouldn't be too worried..I still don't like they want to snoop on my personal life...The job is at Sears Department store...

Ok, I googled myself and there are 100's of me...I mean there are a lot of people with the same name, I'm shocked..I thought they broke the mold when they made me...lol
I have had a background check and a Security clearance when I worked construction at a Nuclear power plant..So I guess I shouldn't be too worried..I still don't like they want to snoop on my personal life...The job is at Sears Department store...

for that job i would tell them to (f) off

in a nice way of course

It all comes down to what's more important:

Standing up for your principles and telling them to shove their crappy job

or

Getting a paycheck.

While applying for a job they have asked me to ok them looking at my social network, like Facebook, twitter, etc

has anyone encountered this? and what do you think about it and should I ok it or not?

I've never seen this before and I've applied for a lot of jobs over the Internet. It's how I got my job at the schools.

its pretty common practice. a lot of companies check your social media without even asking. some have even requested your passwords as terms of employment. that I believe is in court right now in one state

its pretty common practice. a lot of companies check your social media without even asking. some have even requested your passwords as terms of employment. that I believe is in court right now in one state

I guess so..I've just never run across them asking for this before...spooked me a little.
like I said, I only have a face book account and hardly use it...But I do have those pesky pictures of Obama on it from my photobucket..LOL
I'm trying to delete it off face book but am having problems doing it...my luck

I guess so..I've just never run across them asking for this before...spooked me a little.
like I said, I only have a face book account and hardly use it...But I do have those pesky pictures of Obama on it from my photobucket..LOL
I'm trying to delete it off face book but am having problems doing it...my luck

I have pretty tight privacy settings on to who can see what. but if you have even one friend from work on your facebook they can probably see whats going on as a friend of a friend. but my facebook isn't all that political. a little with some of the likes. they might see a lot of pictures of me with guns, but I'm pretty open about my guns anyway, even at work.

they all do. Employers started to snoop in the social networks from the moment they came along. So do the colleges and universities.

This one asked permission, which does not mean that they did not do it BEFORE the permission was received - to compare.
True. Problem is there is not much they can see if the privacy settings allow only friends to see what's there.

I'm not much of a joiner. I actually tried Facebook out a few years ago, and encouraged others to do so. Then I heard that identities were being stolen, and since I'd already been there, done that, with people who tried to use our life savings for retirement to buy their house in California with, I decided the information people glean from Facebook seldom works in your favor, so I cancelled my account and have never regretted it. Our good fortune was we had a long-time bank that sent us a notification of our home "purchase," and held back the funds until we immediately responded that we had purchased no home there and were not moving there. We have our suspicions who did it, too. Some people in a restaurant were looking over my husband's shoulder at his social security number, and the rest of the information they needed was on our check. The next time we went to the restaurant the two who were looking weren't there any more. Not certain, but that's the only time I noticed people looking for more information than was due them for simply paying with a check. They weren't counting on us having a good bank that notices odd purchases that didn't fit our profile as everyday citizens.

It's a good thing, too. Just a few years into our retirement, we've needed those savings just to live off of, and with dementia in our household, other funds are not known to us anymore. We've had 3 incidents of severe overcharges and equipment thefts from people doing small repairs around our property. They get around the senior abuse bit by asking to borrow equipment, then not returning it. The sheriff found one of the borrowed items at a pawn shop. It's a cold, cruel world for people who worked a lifetime to have comfort in their old age, who gave all to their communities, and then are taken advantage of by sheisters who game the system and ensure a huge loss to their victims, while they're pretending to be a family friend with one hand and robbing you blind with the other.

Facebook gets hacked. I left.
I fully agree and sympathize with you. I had a similar problem with my Facebook account a few years ago. My privacy settings were somehow reset so everyone was able to see my personal information. At first I was only able to deactivate my account. After several inquiries, I was finally able to permanently delete my account after a one month delay.

I have no Facebook account. No social media account of any kind. If you Googled my real name, you would find nothing except my name as President of a non-profit. You would not find my job, my marital status, my reproduction status, or anything else about me.

My private life is just that. Private.

Conversing online is not private. Never ever assume it is. Ever. Once it is online, it is out there forever. And it will be found at the most inopportune moment.

Last edited:
Make a fake Facebook account. Build yourself up as a person who builds schools in Africa, helps crippled dogs cross the street, and as a personal friend of the Dalai Lama.

"Went with the Lama to the mall. His views on Snuggies are very enlightened! LOL"

Provide the name on this account to prospective employers when they ask.

You want my Facebook account? Sure! Let's go there right now! This second! I have nothing to hide.

Last edited:
Make a fake Facebook account. Build yourself up as a person who builds schools in Africa, helps crippled dogs cross the street, and as a personal friend of the Dalai Lama.

"Went with the Lama to the mall. His views on Snuggies are very enlightened! LOL"

Provide the name on this account to prospective employers when they ask.

You want my Facebook account? Sure! Let's go there right now! This second! I have nothing to hide.

I like that idea...
thank you dear

Forum List

Back