What's new
US Message Board 🦅 Political Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

National Filet Mignon Day

lg325

Diamond Member
Reaction score

Toro

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Press big chunks of sea salt and let sit for at least three hours. Heat your oven to 250. Put it in for 20-30 minutes. Put a cast iron pan on the stove at high heat for five minutes or more. Bring the steak out of the oven and seer on each side for one minute. Put a slab of butter on the top. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes. Then serve. Enjoy

Disir

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Don't look at me. I have cooked steak twice in my life. I cooked them perfectly this last time. I'm pretty sure that was on accident.

Salad and baked potato are the perfect sides.

BothWings

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Industry creates this shit to take advantage of this government sponsored inflation.

Now a "plastic shortage" is blamed for the lack of spring water on store shelves. But no explanation for the plastic shortage is given. It's all bullshit, springboarded by the pandemic by democrats helping Big Business in return for Big Business helping them.

HereWeGoAgain

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Press big chunks of sea salt and let sit for at least three hours. Heat your oven to 250. Put it in for 20-30 minutes. Put a cast iron pan on the stove at high heat for five minutes or more. Bring the steak out of the oven and seer on each side for one minute. Put a slab of butter on the top. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes. Then serve. Enjoy

And be sure to put a temp probe in the steak.
A 20 to 30 minute window isnt going to cut it,it can go from perfect to welldone in that amount of time.
It needs to be pulled at 105 for rare. And then seared.

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Reaction score

Perfect! The only thing I do differently is to cover the steak with a layer of fresh ground black pepper before it goes in the oven. If it is thick, like filet mignons usually are, 30 mins will give you a perfect medium rare. Then let the steak sit for 15 minutes after it comes out of the oven. Then sear it for a minute on each side in a HOT cast iron skillet.

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Since I am now retired and have a few bucks set back I will treat myself to a filet mignon. Any suggestions for prep and cooking and what sides?
The only way I can get Filet Mignon cooked through the way I like is with a butterfly cut that reduces the thickness. I know that horrifies filet mignon purists but I don't a bloody center.

OhPleaseJustQuit

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Since I am now retired and have a few bucks set back I will treat myself to a filet mignon. Any suggestions for prep and cooking and what sides?
There was once a restaurant in Seattle, Charlie's on Broadway. They had a dish called Three Steak Charlie. It was three small tenderloin medallions -- a similar cut from the same part of the animal as the filet -- each with its own sauce/topping combo. One was shrimp and Bearnaise sauce, one was crab and Hollandaise, and one was mushrooms and Bordelaise. It was my favorite dish of all time and I still enjoy making a tenderloin with one of those combos.

HereWeGoAgain

Diamond Member
Reaction score
There was once a restaurant in Seattle, Charlie's on Broadway. They had a dish called Three Steak Charlie. It was three small tenderloin medallions -- a similar cut from the same part of the animal as the filet -- each with its own sauce/topping combo. One was shrimp and Bearnaise sauce, one was crab and Hollandaise, and one was mushrooms and Bordelaise. It was my favorite dish of all time and I still enjoy making a tenderloin with one of those combos.

So a flight of steak...
Sounds damn good!

Concerned American

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I really enjoy the flavor of that cut of meat so I don't put anything on it other than a bit of pepper. I reserve sauces for lesser cuts of meat.

OhPleaseJustQuit

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I really enjoy the flavor of that cut of meat so I don't put anything on it other than a bit of pepper. I reserve sauces for lesser cuts of meat.
Yep. I swing between wanting something sauced or, with the really good cuts, just a little salt.

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Reaction score

Speaking of flavor, while I love the tenderness of the filet, it is a bit expensive for regular meals. Most of the time when we have steak, it is a thick cut ribeye. I think the flavor of the ribeye is the best.

westwall

WHEN GUNS ARE BANNED ONLY THE RICH WILL HAVE GUNS
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of flavor, while I love the tenderness of the filet, it is a bit expensive for regular meals. Most of the time when we have steak, it is a thick cut ribeye. I think the flavor of the ribeye is the best.

Ribeye can be VERY good. But if you have a great chef, they just seem to be able to elevate the filet to a height unobtainable by a ribeye.

SweetSue92

Diamond Member
Reaction score

Concerned American

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Beef prices are certainly getting out of hand. I have been going to rib eyes the last couple of years too. I have noticed recently that Costco has been carrying a lot of USDA Prime beef. I picked up a couple of prime rib eyes on our last trip--I hope they live up to the hype.

HereWeGoAgain

Diamond Member
Reaction score

You need to try a cap steak if you like the Ribeye.
It's made from the outer edge of the ribeye and rolled in to a steak.

USMB Server Goals

Total amount
$55.00
Goal
$350.00

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List