My peonies won’t open.

I have found that if they aren't at least half way open when you cut them, they won't open the rest of the way in a vase.

• Banned
I visited a peony farm/plantation in New Jersey once. The owner had fallen in love with them during a visit to England. And indulged her passion for them by growing them and starting a resale business.

I’ve never seen such a beautiful selection of this flower, different colours, species etc.

Peonies don’t like to be moved. It can take years for a peony to recover from the shock of being moved. If your peony was planted or re-planted in the past four years, it just may be feeling sullen. Their buds will turn into flowers eventually.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Why Your Peony Buds But Never Flowers StackPath

Why Your Peony Buds But Never Flowers StackPath
If you live in a warmer climate, your peony may not get enough cold in the cold months. Peonies need a certain amount of cold weather in order to set buds and to flower. Your peony may be getting just enough cold weather to produce the buds but not enough to make it the last bit to flower. If you suspect that this is your problem, make sure to create an environment that might add a little bit more cold. In cold months, do not mulch or protect the area your peony is growing. Try to remove any barriers that may be blocking the wind from your peony bed in the winter. While this may seem counterintuitive, if you live on the edge of how much cold a peony needs to fully flower, this may be the little extra your peony needs to make that flower.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Why Your Peony Buds But Never Flowers StackPath
My neighbor has grown an acre or two of them for decades in the middle of an open field of grass. Not sure what he does now, but he used to just have mow them off with my brush hog once per year. Apparently they're tough as nails once well established.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210706-124913_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210706-124913_Chrome.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 54
IDK. I have about a dozen of them but I have never tried cutting them for a vase when they weren't already open. Even when they are, I don't usually cut them. They are any magnets in this area once they start to open so I don't want to bring any critters in.

Forum List

Back