Mormons?

Baptism for the dead is a baptism done by proxy where another person is baptized in behalf of a person who is dead. However, if that dead person does not accept the proxy baptism performed in their behalf, then the proxy baptism is of not effect. So when you say that we are putting words in the mouth of the dead person, you are making a false claim. The dead person is only dead as to their body. They are not dead as to the spirit. They still live and are able to decide whether or not they accept the baptism or not. So to say that we are putting words in their mouth is absolutely FALSE!
Read your own rite. I've also found it interesting the LDS apparently think so little of their own rite they do not consider it holy or sacred, but merely something they are willing to see thrown away or tossed aside?

You can pretend to know how we feel about our ordinances but unless you are one of us, you don't really know. The ordinances we have for the dead are performed in our most sacred and holy temples. They are very sacred. We do not toss them aside. We perform them and hope and pray that they are received by the dead. We believe that they have the same freedom to choose that we here on earth do. The difference is that we believe that all people have until the time they are resurrected and stand before the Lord. The only one who can toss it aside is the person on whom the ordinance is performed or the Lord himself.

We believe that they have the same freedom to choose that we here on earth do.
Would you baptize anyone into the LDS church, when there is a better than even chance that after the ceremony they would look you in the face and say, "I reject this baptism." All of this is beside the point. The point is that the LDS Church "baptizes" people of other faiths without his/her express desire to be baptized. Tell me. What is the present policy about baptizing those who lived the Jewish faith?

Actually....and I might get in trouble for saying this...but every religion peoples I have run into that were NOT kind or nice are....christians.:(
Very judgemental, ready to argue their faith, use scare tactics to persuade you to be Christian or else yougo to hell and burn forever if you don't do this or that. Which is why I consider myself pagan-christian. A bit of both but with the same God/Jesus. Not goddesses.
Jesus said hell is real with eternal punishment.

Actually....and I might get in trouble for saying this...but every religion peoples I have run into that were NOT kind or nice are....christians.:(
Very judgemental, ready to argue their faith, use scare tactics to persuade you to be Christian or else yougo to hell and burn forever if you don't do this or that. Which is why I consider myself pagan-christian. A bit of both but with the same God/Jesus. Not goddesses.
Where? Link, or passage from the bible, please.
Eternal punishment is absence from God. Not burning, pain, suffering. Just...dead.

If we had open communication between the world of spirits and our mortal world, we would be able to converse with them and ask them directly if they accept the baptism. However that is not the case at the present time. Members of the church do their own genealogy and take it back as far as they can. We take the names of people we are related to and do the work of performing saving ordinances in the temple for our dead. What has been found is that if taken back far enough and then coming back down other lines of families, is that we are really all related as one human family. Yes, we have relations with those of others faiths. When the Jewish community complained about holocaust victims being baptized into the church, our leaders agreed with them to remove the names of those victims from off the church records and now has a policy that dead relatives or others found through genealogy are not to receive temple ordinances unless the permission of the closest living relatives give their permission, going back 95 years.

In my mind, the work of the Lord is somewhat hindered by those who wish to make all the decisions for their dead relatives but it is what it is. When the Lord makes his second appearance and establishes his kingdom again upon the earth, He will do away with such obstructions and open up communications with the world of spirits and those who wish to receive baptism who are disembodied will be able to choose to have their work done.

Last edited:
“What do people mean by being baptized on behalf of the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized on their behalf” (1 Cor. 15:29)?

The verse could also be translated: “Why do those who are baptized for the dead do it? That is, if the dead are not raised at all, why are certain Corinthians baptized for the dead?”

It is interesting to note that nowhere else in the Bible is there any mention of baptism for the dead. And it appears that only some (NOT ALL) were doing it. And also the only place this seems to have been happening was in Corinth.

And, if I were to make a guess, based on your behavior here...you ain't much of a Mormon even if you can spell it correctly...or as you put it "corrector". Hmmm...you can't spell correctly...correctly...must mean you aren't correct or know anything about being correct. Face it - you are a fake correction expert.

I certainly do not claim to be perfect, and I know that I have many flaws.

However, you would do well to pay attention to that huge beam in your own eye, before you fuss about the mote in mine.
Dude...speaking of motes...heed your own cause you started this attack.

“What do people mean by being baptized on behalf of the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized on their behalf” (1 Cor. 15:29)?

The verse could also be translated: “Why do those who are baptized for the dead do it? That is, if the dead are not raised at all, why are certain Corinthians baptized for the dead?”

It is interesting to note that nowhere else in the Bible is there any mention of baptism for the dead. And it appears that only some (NOT ALL) were doing it. And also the only place this seems to have been happening was in Corinth.

1 Corinthians 15 has the Apostle Paul arguing that the resurrection is real to some among the Corinthian saints who did not believe in the resurrection. Obviously baptism for the dead was being practiced in the church and Paul used the teaching (being in agreement with it) to teach that the practice would not be observed if there was not a resurrection. That is the context of what Paul is saying. Read the entire chapter for context. Paul would not have used a false practice to bolster his argument for the resurrection.

In my mind, the work of the Lord is somewhat hindered
Who decided this was the "work of the Lord"?

If a Satanist group decided to set up a ritual to, by proxy, dedicate you and your loved ones to Satan after your death, how would you feel? Would you react in behalf of your deceased loved ones, knowing this is what they would want and expect of you.

Eternal punishment is absence from God. Not burning, pain, suffering. Just...dead.
Matthew 25:46

Many MANY interpretations. You believe in a God that will cause suffering eternally. The God I believe in is love...and would do no such thing.

Many MANY interpretations. You believe in a God that will cause suffering eternally. The God I believe in is love...and would do no such thing.
That isn't an "interpretation". Those are the plain direct words of Jesus. Believers enter into eternal life and nonbelievers enter into eternal punishment. God IS eternal life. If anyone rejects Life they did it to themselves, God didn't.

If a Satanist group decided to set up a ritual to, by proxy, dedicate you and your loved ones to Satan after your death, how would you feel? Would you react in behalf of your deceased loved ones, knowing this is what they would want and expect of you.

It was decided and revealed by the Lord Jesus Christ through the Prophet Joseph Smith:

Doctrine and Covenants 124:28-30
28 For there is not a place found on earth that he may come to and restore again that which was lost unto you, or which he hath taken away, even the fulness of the priesthood.
29 For a baptismal font there is not upon the earth, that they, my saints, may be baptized for those who are dead—
30 For this ordinance belongeth to my house, and cannot be acceptable to me, only in the days of your poverty, wherein ye are not able to build a house unto me.

It was decided and revealed by the Lord Jesus Christ through the Prophet Joseph Smith:

Doctrine and Covenants 124:28-30
28 For there is not a place found on earth that he may come to and restore again that which was lost unto you, or which he hath taken away, even the fulness of the priesthood.
29 For a baptismal font there is not upon the earth, that they, my saints, may be baptized for those who are dead—
30 For this ordinance belongeth to my house, and cannot be acceptable to me, only in the days of your poverty, wherein ye are not able to build a house unto me.
Do you believe Smith was a Prophet of God?

1 Corinthians 15 has the Apostle Paul arguing that the resurrection is real to some among the Corinthian saints who did not believe in the resurrection. Obviously baptism for the dead was being practiced in the church and Paul used the teaching (being in agreement with it) to teach that the practice would not be observed if there was not a resurrection. That is the context of what Paul is saying. Read the entire chapter for context. Paul would not have used a false practice to bolster his argument for the resurrection.
The emphasis here (in I Corinthians 15 --- and I will agree) is entirely on the RESURRECTION OF THE DEAD. The baptism of the dead, performed by some was being applied by Paul to demonstrate the shortcoming of anyone who might not be fully convinced of a RESURRECTION, and yet be committed to engaging in baptism of any sort ---- even for some believer who had died without the open testimonial of a water baptism.

I'm also going to add that it is most likely plausible that some congregants back then, may have been getting baptized for ANYONE (meaning a relative, friend, and acquaintances presumed believers) --- which hadn't had the opportunity but were being so honored by the ritual sometime shortly after their death. This would be in total contrast to Mormonism, where the individual is being baptized for only those he or she is related to, likely never knew, without any indication of salvation on their part, in many cases generations after death of such relations, and the baptism being performed out of the public eye where no one would benefit from the testimonial.

We believe that baptism is a required ordinance that one must receive in order to be saved into the kingdom of heaven.
Your beliefs are your own but they are not the beliefs of devoted Catholics or people of other faiths. You are welcome to your beliefs. The beliefs of others should be welcome and respected as well.
Catholics have the same book as the Protestants..

Acts 2:38: Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins.: Cristian Bible Study Journal for studying the Scripture.

We believe that baptism is a required ordinance that one must receive in order to be saved into the kingdom of heaven.
Your beliefs are your own but they are not the beliefs of devoted Catholics or people of other faiths. You are welcome to your beliefs. The beliefs of others should be welcome and respected as well.
Catholics have the same book as the Protestants..

Acts 2:38: Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins.: Cristian Bible Study Journal for studying the Scripture.
I was baptized but I doubt it counts. I was about 10 or 12 years old and it was done out of fear. Hell and damnation, being stung over and over by scorpions, pain so bad my earaches paled in comparison. Threats of hellfire, torture, etc. So did I feel any different after being dunked? No. Just relief I would not be tormented with pain.

Again, the God I believe in loves His children..of which I am one. I accept Jesus as my savior, and know He died for my sins..whatever sins those were for a kid my age. I never backed away from Him, and never will. A god that causes suffering to the end of time for whatever reason is not God.

Just my opinion.

Forum List

Back