Minimum wage order sends veterans packing from nursing homes

The VA contracted payments might have to rise accordingly.

Until any of us see the REAL NUMBERS this is nothing more than propaganda.

Naturally many here leap to accept the story without evidence to support it.

After all, if one hates blindly, evidence and logical thinking are not only unneeded, they are not welcomed.

Maybe they should up their skills instead of changing bed sheets.. a job that 99.9999% of others can do..

This is not about the workers salary levels, or the corporation not just taking care of vets for free...

jeez.. idiot troll

Bullshit - Only about half the population has what it takes to show up to work every day. And less than half of them have no will or clue how to care for someone. Even fewer yet aren't ex-convicts. Plus it takes a lot more skill than picking produce.

There are likely only 12% who can do that job.

Uhh.. the 'care' positions, such as nurse, doctor, therapist, etc are not the ones making minimum wage.. it is the support staff of the lowest level.. the toilet cleaners, the bed makers, the floor sweepers, the food workers, etc... nice try though

And it is not only 1/2 of the adult populace that can work

Now you go changing your lie that it's a job that 99.9999% of others can do, to more than half of the adult populace because you were busted. And you are still lying. Only 63% of the population is of working age between 15-64 years old. The highest percent of those working age that ever held a job in history was 74% during the Clinton Administration & many of those employees were worthless.

So now were down to 45% of the population can actually work. 10% of adults have been convicted of felonies. Now were down to 40%.

Nice try liar, but nurses, doctors, & therapists are not the ones doing the daily care to maintain control of dementia zombies, bathe, carry, dress, change bandages, insert catheters, change diapers, insert suppositories, wash privates, give daily pills, spoon feed, observe & report patient conditions, pick boogers, clip toenails, cut hair, groom, track personal effects, track & keep inventory, etc with a cheerful bedside manor. These are things that much less than half of the qualified available workforce will do. Yet you feel they should not make enough to get off food stamps. :cuckoo:

Last edited:
I can see it now in the nursing home that cares for veterans.

Caregiver; ah shucks honey vet, you done shit yourself a while ago. Someone will come and help you get cleaned up in a little while. Diamond Dave said my skill level which is represented by my 8 dollar an hour pay, is not up to the demands of changing your diaper Mr. Vet.

Caregiver; ah shucks Mr. Vet, you haven't had those sheets changed in a month. Look at those bed sores. Let me get you one of those high paid people to deal with your mess. My 8 bucks an hours just isn't enough pay for me to deal with those sores.

Caregiver; Ah shucks Mr Vet, don't sass me that way. When no ones looking, I'll smack you up side the head. You don't mess with me, I make 8 dollars an hour and won't take no shit from a crippled up vet.

Caregiver; Ah shucks Mr. Vet. Sorry I forgot about feeding you. Again. But what you expect for 8 bucks an hour?

Hey DD, want some more examples of what level of care you get for sick and elderly people when you only pay them MW? Because some CEO of a health care company wants his millions off those Vets. So sure as hell can't pay for quality care.

is there ANYTHING you cant make a fool of your self about?

You've never had a relative or visited someone in a low wage nursing home, have you?
You ever hear about some of the patient abuses that occur in nursing homes?

Or are you too fucking stupid to understand that low wage workers are not highly motivated workers? Are you at least smart enough to understand that? And that low motivation leads to poor quality care.

Is there any subject that you are not so stupid about? Maybe you should try commenting on that subject. If there is one.

"Uhh.. the 'care' positions, such as nurse, doctor, therapist, etc are not the ones making minimum wage.. it is the support staff of the lowest level.. the toilet cleaners, the bed makers, the floor sweepers, the food workers, etc... nice try though"

Low wage = low production. Higher wage = better quality care. Making 7.25 an hour taking care of our vets who have sacrificed bravely? Scary sad. 7.25 an hour to take care of food and the cleanliness of the facility? That in an of itself is a complete joke. Says something bout this country.

What is the company in question? What are their annual losses/profits? Does the company profit, and if so, how much? The raise in workers' salaries can come out of corporate profits. Wal-Mart profits billions. Wal-Mart can raise workers' wages and simply profit less. Wal-Mart will still profit billions every year, just not so many billions, and their workers might actually be able to get off of food stamps.

And Wal-mart can also choose NOT to build another new store and employ hundreds more people because they don't have as much profit.

Some military veterans are being forced to leave their nursing home. It's an unintended consequence of President Obama's executive order in February to raise the minimum wage for new federal contract workers from $7.25 to $10.10 an hour.

So the deal is that if they don't raise the worker's wages to at least $10.10, they lose their federal contract. Check. Got it.

"I think it's very wrong. I think it's very distasteful," Washington goes on to say about Shreveport Manor's decision. "I mean some of these people here work their backsides off to keep this place going," he said, pointing to a woman changing his bed.

Apparently Shreveport Manor feels those hard working backsides aren't worth $10.10, eh?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back