Megachurches Still Packing Them In!

I really don't care if you feel my First Amendment Rights are selfish. For now, they are still my rights. I know you probably care little for them.

I care more about the people who are going to die because you dumb-ass bible thumpers are more interested in praising your Sky Fairy than actually protecting lives.
Protect yourself and the stupid people can't hurt you

For what, protect yourself for what? A few more spins on this floating rock in space?

This is what I mean here...doomed to destruction

Damn right. I want to stay on this ride as long as possible.

And that right there, exactly, is the problem in 21st century America. Because we have become a post-Christian society, we have forgotten what freedom means to us. So we will ALL lose our freedom, we have lost "herd immunity freedom". Sure, we will be clinging to life after this. But what life?

We have forgotten that sometimes, life is not worth living. But whatever. Life can also be a very, very hard teacher.

Live free or die!

Yes indeed. Or the cry of my patriot forefathers: "Give me liberty or give me death!"

But not now. The cry of the 21st century American: "Big Daddy Govco, keep me safe! There's a virus out there and it's scaaaaarrrrry and I don't know what to do if you don't protect meeeeee"

Really shameful when you think about it
I don't expect the government to ever keep me safe.

I protect myself if you don't want to do that that's your problem

Sure you expect the government to keep you safe, don't you? We have protected religious freedom in the Constitution but you have a problem with it. What do you propose to do about it?

I don't care what your religion is but don't assume that other people don't think their life is worth living just because you think yours isn't

If you care so little for your own health and the people of your church care so little for theirs that's your problem so go to church and get everyone there sick IDGAF because I have never stepped foot in a church and don't plan to any time in my life

But don't tell me you can't practice your religion from home or in small groups because that is simply untrue

But you just said above if you're fastidious your chance of infection is very low. And really this is the outlook everyone should have. Stop meddling in what everyone else is doing. You wash YOUR hands, you monitor where YOU are going, you keep YOURSELF healthy and stop busybodying everyone else's life.

Still have to go to out to the store for supplies, and all it takes is one idiot. Still required to go into the office once a week. One person at the place I consult for has already tested positive.

You cannot be forced to go to work and consulting can be done via the internet or telephone. And if you are fastidious in your own self protection the likelihood of getting infected is pretty low

Oh. Then what's the problem if people go to church?

Huh
Where did I say it was a problem?

I said it was stupid because no one has to go to a church to practice their religion

That is your opinion, and in fact by the Scriptures I proved you wrong, and that was just one verse. You are allowed to have your life priorities and I am allowed to have mine. In fact. That's freedom for you.

Apparently, SOME people aren't concerned about covid-19 because they have GOD on their side. Let's check back with them in a month or so, shall we? We'll see how that worked out by then. But if some of them die, they're all Christians so they'll be up in heaven, right? I guess.
The Mormon church has basically shut down all its operations
Temples
and we haven't gone to church in a couple of Weeks now
The head of the Mormon church was a very successful heart surgeon in his younger days
I don't expect any church services for at least another month at the minimum

Apparently, SOME people aren't concerned about covid-19 because they have GOD on their side. Let's check back with them in a month or so, shall we? We'll see how that worked out by then. But if some of them die, they're all Christians so they'll be up in heaven, right? I guess.
pretty sure GOD was on the side of the crusaders.

lots of them died too.

I really don't care if you feel my First Amendment Rights are selfish. For now, they are still my rights. I know you probably care little for them.

I care more about the people who are going to die because you dumb-ass bible thumpers are more interested in praising your Sky Fairy than actually protecting lives.

For what, protect yourself for what? A few more spins on this floating rock in space?

And that right there, exactly, is the problem in 21st century America. Because we have become a post-Christian society, we have forgotten what freedom means to us. So we will ALL lose our freedom, we have lost "herd immunity freedom". Sure, we will be clinging to life after this. But what life?

We have forgotten that sometimes, life is not worth living. But whatever. Life can also be a very, very hard teacher.

Live free or die!

Yes indeed. Or the cry of my patriot forefathers: "Give me liberty or give me death!"

But not now. The cry of the 21st century American: "Big Daddy Govco, keep me safe! There's a virus out there and it's scaaaaarrrrry and I don't know what to do if you don't protect meeeeee"

Sure you expect the government to keep you safe, don't you? We have protected religious freedom in the Constitution but you have a problem with it. What do you propose to do about it?

I don't care what your religion is but don't assume that other people don't think their life is worth living just because you think yours isn't

If you care so little for your own health and the people of your church care so little for theirs that's your problem so go to church and get everyone there sick IDGAF because I have never stepped foot in a church and don't plan to any time in my life

But don't tell me you can't practice your religion from home or in small groups because that is simply untrue

But you just said above if you're fastidious your chance of infection is very low. And really this is the outlook everyone should have. Stop meddling in what everyone else is doing. You wash YOUR hands, you monitor where YOU are going, you keep YOURSELF healthy and stop busybodying everyone else's life.
Yes and that means not getting too close to other people who may be infected and not know it.

But hey go swap spit with a stranger or let a priest put his hands all over your communion candy if you're stupid enough to do so.

And I do keep to myself which is why I never get sick. The thing is you don't know who in your church is spewing the virus everywhere do you? Or do you just assume you are immune?

Still have to go to out to the store for supplies, and all it takes is one idiot. Still required to go into the office once a week. One person at the place I consult for has already tested positive.

You cannot be forced to go to work and consulting can be done via the internet or telephone. And if you are fastidious in your own self protection the likelihood of getting infected is pretty low

Oh. Then what's the problem if people go to church?

Huh
Where did I say it was a problem?

I said it was stupid because no one has to go to a church to practice their religion

That is your opinion, and in fact by the Scriptures I proved you wrong, and that was just one verse. You are allowed to have your life priorities and I am allowed to have mine. In fact. That's freedom for you.
where did it say to gather in a church and in large crowds ?

And you do realize that technology allows people to "come together" while they are different places don't you?

Just now: La-Z-Boy furniture putting 70% of their employees on furlough and giving the others a 50% pay cut

We won't make it through April 30th at this rate; there's no way. There will be abject panic

Yes, people might start questioning why we have a Game Show Host running the country instead of a real leader.

I have him on ignore. He has very serious issues

That I keep making you look like a fool. I am still making you look like a fool.

How does Sleepy Fucking Joe qualify as a "real leader"? He's the very best the D's have, and doesn't know what state he is in or what office he is running for. Does it really show "leadership" to challenge voters to pushup contests?

Seems pretty damn stupid for ANY church to be open right now.
Having said that I fail to see the link to POLITICS??

I can see both sides of the issue. Providing comfort and hope to the survivors of this pestilence can be pretty important too. Its a call each theologian has to make for themselves, Freedom of Religion is sancrosanct in this land.

On one hand, people are still exercising their right to assemble. That's a good sign.

Just out of courtesy, though, people who choose to assemble ought to keep their distance from those who wish not to assemble.

I don't belong to a megachurch but it is a fairly large congregation.

We are doing streaming of services.

I can see both sides of the issue. Providing comfort and hope to the survivors of this pestilence can be pretty important too. Its a call each theologian has to make for themselves, Freedom of Religion is sancrosanct in this land.
Maximizing profit has nothing to do with providing comfort. Intentionally risking exposure to large crowds of people to a virus is inexcusable

These people who go to these mega-churches are being incredibly selfish. Whatever they contract while there they will carry with them to infect others.
Of course. But they believe it's not that dangerous.

So what are we supposed to say to someone like that?

I do not know. I've said, years before the coronavirus showed up, that these guys have to have their stage so that they can be videoed waving their arms in the air for "God" and can't just pray. I don't know what to think. In my own life, I've been to Ephesus, the Great Mosque of Istanbul, St. Peter's, the catacombs, Canterbury, Westminster, the National Cathedral, but these people's antics have caused me to rethink what faith is all about. Is it a farce? I am in the midst of serious questioning.

You don't know. You should have just left it at that.

Honestly you probably don't even believe in God. Certainly not in Jesus Christ. So just leave it at "I don't know"

You do not know me. You do not know what thoughts occur to me. Judging from your comments on USMB, you do not believe in Jesus Christ. Go read the Sermon on the Mount.

This is very simple: I am a Christian. I believe before the universe began, there was the Trinity, the God, Three in One, Father, Son, Holy Ghost.

If you believe that and a few other things, you too are a Christian. If you don't, you aren't. If you hedge, you're not a Christian but don't want to admit it, so you can argue and accuse me.

Sorry kid. This does not include a belief in somebody like frankie graham or falwell, neither of whom represent the Christian faith. Again. Read the Sermon on the Mount.

So as suspected you are not a Christian.
Suspect what you wish. Your suspicions have nothing whatsoever to do with me. My relationship with my Creator is private. My thoughts and my actions are only known between the two of us. What you think does not matter.

I don't belong to a megachurch but it is a fairly large congregation.

We are doing streaming of services.
I went to a drive-in church yesterday. A Disciples of Christ church.

It wasn't all that unusual, but instead of applauding we honked our horns.

Maximizing profit has nothing to do with providing comfort. Intentionally risking exposure to large crowds of people to a virus is inexcusable

That's a pretty cynical view of religion. Really, I don't think that most priests and nuns and reverends and rabbis choose their profession because of "profits". I don't think that Burt Lancaster's character is really as typical as you might think.

Live free or die!

These people do not understand how disease is spread. They also do not understand that they can pray anywhere, even in their homes. The Creator/Supreme Being can hear you in your living room, your bedroom, your bathroom 24/7.

The money is more important.

If someone gets sick it is God’s will

Live free or die!

These people do not understand how disease is spread. They also do not understand that they can pray anywhere, even in their homes. The Creator/Supreme Being can hear you in your living room, your bedroom, your bathroom 24/7.
It takes a crowd to induce religious ecstasy. A neurological state indistinguishable from orgasm. Getting "the spirit" releases a powerful endorphin rush that can be terribly addictive. They have a deep physical need to get their spiritual rocks off.

Forum List

Back