Megachurches Still Packing Them In!

I really don't care if you feel my First Amendment Rights are selfish. For now, they are still my rights. I know you probably care little for them.

I care more about the people who are going to die because you dumb-ass bible thumpers are more interested in praising your Sky Fairy than actually protecting lives.
Protect yourself and the stupid people can't hurt you

For what, protect yourself for what? A few more spins on this floating rock in space?

This is what I mean here...doomed to destruction

Damn right. I want to stay on this ride as long as possible.

And that right there, exactly, is the problem in 21st century America. Because we have become a post-Christian society, we have forgotten what freedom means to us. So we will ALL lose our freedom, we have lost "herd immunity freedom". Sure, we will be clinging to life after this. But what life?

We have forgotten that sometimes, life is not worth living. But whatever. Life can also be a very, very hard teacher.

Live free or die!

Yes indeed. Or the cry of my patriot forefathers: "Give me liberty or give me death!"

But not now. The cry of the 21st century American: "Big Daddy Govco, keep me safe! There's a virus out there and it's scaaaaarrrrry and I don't know what to do if you don't protect meeeeee"

Really shameful when you think about it
I don't expect the government to ever keep me safe.

I protect myself if you don't want to do that that's your problem

Sure you expect the government to keep you safe, don't you? We have protected religious freedom in the Constitution but you have a problem with it. What do you propose to do about it?

I don't care what your religion is but don't assume that other people don't think their life is worth living just because you think yours isn't

If you care so little for your own health and the people of your church care so little for theirs that's your problem so go to church and get everyone there sick IDGAF because I have never stepped foot in a church and don't plan to any time in my life

But don't tell me you can't practice your religion from home or in small groups because that is simply untrue

These people do not understand how disease is spread. They also do not understand that they can pray anywhere, even in their homes. The Creator/Supreme Being can hear you in your living room, your bedroom, your bathroom 24/7.
It takes a crowd to induce religious ecstasy. A neurological state indistinguishable from orgasm. Getting "the spirit" releases a powerful endorphin rush that can be terribly addictive. They have a deep physical need to get their spiritual rocks off.

You must have gone to the Roly-Poly church where they "Get the Spirit" and start speaking gibberish.
I went when I was around 12 with my friend, we ran home as fast as we could when they started trying to drown a kid.
We went around to all the churches when I was a kid.
Yes, that's the kind of churches that refuse to close. I have actually witnessed snake handling and speaking in tongues during my childhood.

Oooo, I'm sorry. Totally serious btw, not sarcastic at all. Speaking in tongues is okay but can be way easily abused. I....snakes....I don't know what to say

There are only125 snake handling churches out there, and mostly in rural cities in Appalachia. Its sort of unusual that "occupied" would have seen it, as most folks from Appalachia aren't extremist ultraliberals.

Good to see we still have freedom of religion in America.
And the freedom to infect everyone around you! Yes!

It seems you have very little imagination for this sort of thing but let me clue you in: this is exactly how your freedom is taken, and mine. I mean not that anyone cares about that anymore, right? But still. YOU can't congregate in groups ever anymore, because my neighbor's sister's niece is immuno-compromised, and viruses get around, and it's DANGEROUS

Congrats for being part of the big problem: whipping us into a nation of window-peeping Gestapos. Hope you're proud
Actually, YOU are the Gestapo, inciting people to ignore the warnings of experts. But what do they know, right? They've only spent a lifetime studying something that you just heard of a month ago. So fuck you.

Sue I respectfully think you miss the point. Our church has many people 65+ and I would not want them exposed. Why would I clamor for that? Because of "freedom"? That's not a reason. From what we know the medical experts(a gift from God) know exposure of 15 minutes or more increases the spread. We do our worship via the Internet. Our pastor has closed our doors indefinitely. She is going along with common sense. My faith tells me that God wants us to use the brains he has given us. This over the top attitude of "no virus is going to affect us" mentality is irresponsible.

We are meeting virtually as well now. But I would not be upset at fellow Christians who prayerfully came to a different conclusion and decided to meet--I would only be upset if they were allowing people who were actually infected, or from infected homes, into the church, which for me crosses the line.

We are to adore worship, and God, yes above even our own lives. Absolutely. If you do not, you do not have the Kingdom in view. And if you do but no one in your congregation does--you are in the wrong congregation.

These people who go to these mega-churches are being incredibly selfish. Whatever they contract while there they will carry with them to infect others.

One thing that I will never understand about the "religious" yahoos is their insistence on making a big public show about what they are doing. Total theatrics.

They don't understand that you can pray anywhere and at any time. They confuse show-time with prayer-time. How many times have I heard somebody say that they "can't pray" because they are being stopped by someone else, when, whatever you perceive to be the Creator/Supreme Being, is open 24/7 to hear you wherever you are.

You don't understand the first thing about it.
So you can't pray wherever you are? I can. I've even done it on the metro. Prayer is not theater.

The virus is mainly being spread through long term exposure(15 to 30) minutes and making contact with infected persons. Sitting in a packed church just is not all that intelligent. God gave us a brain and he expects us to use it. This is nothing but COMMON SENSE. These over the top fools are being irresponsible. Do they value life?

I don't know. Maybe they value worship more than life. Plenty of Christians before them certainly have.
Well, then, why don't you all just kill yourselves and get to heaven that much sooner? (Yeah, I know, it's prohibited, blah, blah, blah...)

I really don't care if you feel my First Amendment Rights are selfish. For now, they are still my rights. I know you probably care little for them.

I care more about the people who are going to die because you dumb-ass bible thumpers are more interested in praising your Sky Fairy than actually protecting lives.

For what, protect yourself for what? A few more spins on this floating rock in space?

And that right there, exactly, is the problem in 21st century America. Because we have become a post-Christian society, we have forgotten what freedom means to us. So we will ALL lose our freedom, we have lost "herd immunity freedom". Sure, we will be clinging to life after this. But what life?

We have forgotten that sometimes, life is not worth living. But whatever. Life can also be a very, very hard teacher.

Live free or die!

Yes indeed. Or the cry of my patriot forefathers: "Give me liberty or give me death!"

But not now. The cry of the 21st century American: "Big Daddy Govco, keep me safe! There's a virus out there and it's scaaaaarrrrry and I don't know what to do if you don't protect meeeeee"

Sure you expect the government to keep you safe, don't you? We have protected religious freedom in the Constitution but you have a problem with it. What do you propose to do about it?

I don't care what your religion is but don't assume that other people don't think their life is worth living just because you think yours isn't

If you care so little for your own health and the people of your church care so little for theirs that's your problem so go to church and get everyone there sick IDGAF because I have never stepped foot in a church and don't plan to any time in my life

But don't tell me you can't practice your religion from home or in small groups because that is simply untrue

These people do not understand how disease is spread. They also do not understand that they can pray anywhere, even in their homes. The Creator/Supreme Being can hear you in your living room, your bedroom, your bathroom 24/7.
It takes a crowd to induce religious ecstasy. A neurological state indistinguishable from orgasm. Getting "the spirit" releases a powerful endorphin rush that can be terribly addictive. They have a deep physical need to get their spiritual rocks off.

You must have gone to the Roly-Poly church where they "Get the Spirit" and start speaking gibberish.
I went when I was around 12 with my friend, we ran home as fast as we could when they started trying to drown a kid.
Yes, that's the kind of churches that refuse to close. I have actually witnessed snake handling and speaking in tongues during my childhood.

Oooo, I'm sorry. Totally serious btw, not sarcastic at all. Speaking in tongues is okay but can be way easily abused. I....snakes....I don't know what to say

There are only125 snake handling churches out there, and mostly in rural cities in Appalachia. Its sort of unusual that "occupied" would have seen it, as most folks from Appalachia aren't extremist ultraliberals.

I liked this because I always appreciate learning new things and I did not know this existed nor its history. I am not a theologian or a Biblical scholar but...I would say..."You shall not put the Lord your God to the test" would pretty much cover why you probably should not put on a snake handling show every Sunday. But, that's of course just me.

Apparently, SOME people aren't concerned about covid-19 because they have GOD on their side. Let's check back with them in a month or so, shall we? We'll see how that worked out by then. But if some of them die, they're all Christians so they'll be up in heaven, right? I guess.

Probably my least favorite part of this entire mess is Virus-Shaming

Shut up and let people live their lives, and you live yours

C Clayton dislikes this because it wants to shame you and tell you how to live your life

But then we all know this. It's what Leftists love best. Honest to goodness, this is the truth: part of what I love best about my evangelical Christian church life is ESCAPING the judgment and shaming.

I am being absolutely 100% honest. Evangelicals are nothing compared to the 21st century Leftist. Nothing
Cfmke mggwe pelsduy. Is that what you mean?

These people who go to these mega-churches are being incredibly selfish. Whatever they contract while there they will carry with them to infect others.

One thing that I will never understand about the "religious" yahoos is their insistence on making a big public show about what they are doing. Total theatrics.

They don't understand that you can pray anywhere and at any time. They confuse show-time with prayer-time. How many times have I heard somebody say that they "can't pray" because they are being stopped by someone else, when, whatever you perceive to be the Creator/Supreme Being, is open 24/7 to hear you wherever you are.

You don't understand the first thing about it.
So you can't pray wherever you are? I can. I've even done it on the metro. Prayer is not theater.

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, 25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.--Hebrews 10:24-25

Not giving up meeting together. One of many verses.

The virus is mainly being spread through long term exposure(15 to 30) minutes and making contact with infected persons. Sitting in a packed church just is not all that intelligent. God gave us a brain and he expects us to use it. This is nothing but COMMON SENSE. These over the top fools are being irresponsible. Do they value life?

I don't know. Maybe they value worship more than life. Plenty of Christians before them certainly have.
Yes, you should believe EVERYTHING that you read on social media, because you can't trust that lame-stream media. Where did you get the long-term (15 to 30 minutes) exposure nugget?

It seems you have very little imagination for this sort of thing but let me clue you in: this is exactly how your freedom is taken, and mine. I mean not that anyone cares about that anymore, right? But still. YOU can't congregate in groups ever anymore, because my neighbor's sister's niece is immuno-compromised, and viruses get around, and it's DANGEROUS

Congrats for being part of the big problem: whipping us into a nation of window-peeping Gestapos. Hope you're proud
Actually, YOU are the Gestapo, inciting people to ignore the warnings of experts. But what do they know, right? They've only spent a lifetime studying something that you just heard of a month ago. So fuck you.

Not an American, eh?

Live free or die!

See I don't know about that. My church "meets" only virtually now. But if churches wanted to meet, I would understand it. Throughout the history of Christendom, churches have met underground for all sorts of reasons even under horrible circumstances, even upon pain of death.

I draw the line of course if someone has an active infection or even if someone in their house does.
And if someone is infected, but has mild symptoms or NO symptoms, what then?

From a medical expert from Cornell. Now I agree people are free to go if they want to. I just don't understand why churches can't go to virtual for awhile. It only makes sense. Our POTUS has extended the guidelines. He knows it's the best thing to do for our people. Again I say this respectfully and pray you stay safe.

Live free or die!

See I don't know about that. My church "meets" only virtually now. But if churches wanted to meet, I would understand it. Throughout the history of Christendom, churches have met underground for all sorts of reasons even under horrible circumstances, even upon pain of death.

I draw the line of course if someone has an active infection or even if someone in their house does.
It seems the people insisting that they have to go to church care more about their own salvation than the health of their fellow parishioners

I'm not religious but I would think God would frown on that

Yes! Please, Big Brother, let me have the freedom to get sick and die! Why has this choice been taken away from me? It's un-American!

So sorry for you that you live in a nation where people have freedoms. Or wait, maybe you're not actually American. If you are--that must be hard for you.
Yes, thank God that I live in a country where people have the right to be just as stupid and irresponsible as they want.

If Masses were being held I would go. I would do the social distancing thing - remaining separated from other congregants, but I would not consider myself being "reckless" for attending.

As for these churches congregating "normally," with every seat filled (if there are any), that is statistically foolish, and the pastors could end up ruining themselves and causing many serious sicknesses and deaths. Because it appears that many people are carriers without knowing it.

I don't think it's a money thing. Most attendees will see to their contributions one way or another. I do.

Sue I respectfully think you miss the point. Our church has many people 65+ and I would not want them exposed. Why would I clamor for that? Because of "freedom"? That's not a reason. From what we know the medical experts(a gift from God) know exposure of 15 minutes or more increases the spread. We do our worship via the Internet. Our pastor has closed our doors indefinitely. She is going along with common sense. My faith tells me that God wants us to use the brains he has given us. This over the top attitude of "no virus is going to affect us" mentality is irresponsible.

We are meeting virtually as well now. But I would not be upset at fellow Christians who prayerfully came to a different conclusion and decided to meet--I would only be upset if they were allowing people who were actually infected, or from infected homes, into the church, which for me crosses the line.

We are to adore worship, and God, yes above even our own lives. Absolutely. If you do not, you do not have the Kingdom in view. And if you do but no one in your congregation does--you are in the wrong congregation.
AGAIN, people can be infected but not have any symptoms! So how can you know?

I do not have the Kingdom in view.

Live free or die!

Well now, if someone is infected but has no symptoms how would they even know? But then how does the guy in the hardware store or the liquor store know either?

Apparently, SOME people aren't concerned about covid-19 because they have GOD on their side. Let's check back with them in a month or so, shall we? We'll see how that worked out by then. But if some of them die, they're all Christians so they'll be up in heaven, right? I guess.

Most churches are shut down. This virus hoax is all about getting to do what global warming couldn't:
Shut down the economy and crash it.
Cloward-Piven strategy. Keep people from assembling/going to work for 2 mos.
Economy crashes, wage-earners and small businesses worst hit.
Tons of new people needing goveernment assistance, overburdening the system.

You're nuts. Why would ANYONE want to do that?

Probably my least favorite part of this entire mess is Virus-Shaming

Shut up and let people live their lives, and you live yours

C Clayton dislikes this because it wants to shame you and tell you how to live your life

But then we all know this. It's what Leftists love best. Honest to goodness, this is the truth: part of what I love best about my evangelical Christian church life is ESCAPING the judgment and shaming.

I am being absolutely 100% honest. Evangelicals are nothing compared to the 21st century Leftist. Nothing

How you know you have made a great point: Leftists make the laughing emoji at you but cannot counter what you say.
I hate emojis and almost never use them.

Forum List

Back