Megachurches Still Packing Them In!

Just now: La-Z-Boy furniture putting 70% of their employees on furlough and giving the others a 50% pay cut

We won't make it through April 30th at this rate; there's no way. There will be abject panic

Yes, people might start questioning why we have a Game Show Host running the country instead of a real leader.

I have him on ignore. He has very serious issues

That I keep making you look like a fool. I am still making you look like a fool.

I really don't care if you feel my First Amendment Rights are selfish. For now, they are still my rights. I know you probably care little for them.

I care more about the people who are going to die because you dumb-ass bible thumpers are more interested in praising your Sky Fairy than actually protecting lives.
Protect yourself and the stupid people can't hurt you

For what, protect yourself for what? A few more spins on this floating rock in space?

This is what I mean here...doomed to destruction

Damn right. I want to stay on this ride as long as possible.

And that right there, exactly, is the problem in 21st century America. Because we have become a post-Christian society, we have forgotten what freedom means to us. So we will ALL lose our freedom, we have lost "herd immunity freedom". Sure, we will be clinging to life after this. But what life?

We have forgotten that sometimes, life is not worth living. But whatever. Life can also be a very, very hard teacher.

Live free or die!

Still have to go to out to the store for supplies, and all it takes is one idiot. Still required to go into the office once a week. One person at the place I consult for has already tested positive.

You cannot be forced to go to work and consulting can be done via the internet or telephone. And if you are fastidious in your own self protection the likelihood of getting infected is pretty low

Apparently, SOME people aren't concerned about covid-19 because they have GOD on their side. Let's check back with them in a month or so, shall we? We'll see how that worked out by then. But if some of them die, they're all Christians so they'll be up in heaven, right? I guess.

Actually, during the Previous Pandemic in 1350, the churches remained open and were a great comfort to the people in a time of devastation and pestilence. To ignore Almighty God would seem to be short-sighted.

BTW, it all turned out fine in the 14th Century pandemic, it ended and failed to wipe out the entire population.

These people who go to these mega-churches are being incredibly selfish. Whatever they contract while there they will carry with them to infect others.
Of course. But they believe it's not that dangerous.

So what are we supposed to say to someone like that?

I do not know. I've said, years before the coronavirus showed up, that these guys have to have their stage so that they can be videoed waving their arms in the air for "God" and can't just pray. I don't know what to think. In my own life, I've been to Ephesus, the Great Mosque of Istanbul, St. Peter's, the catacombs, Canterbury, Westminster, the National Cathedral, but these people's antics have caused me to rethink what faith is all about. Is it a farce? I am in the midst of serious questioning.

You don't know. You should have just left it at that.

Honestly you probably don't even believe in God. Certainly not in Jesus Christ. So just leave it at "I don't know"

You do not know me. You do not know what thoughts occur to me. Judging from your comments on USMB, you do not believe in Jesus Christ. Go read the Sermon on the Mount.

This is very simple: I am a Christian. I believe before the universe began, there was the Trinity, the God, Three in One, Father, Son, Holy Ghost.

If you believe that and a few other things, you too are a Christian. If you don't, you aren't. If you hedge, you're not a Christian but don't want to admit it, so you can argue and accuse me.

Sorry kid. This does not include a belief in somebody like frankie graham or falwell, neither of whom represent the Christian faith. Again. Read the Sermon on the Mount.

I really don't care if you feel my First Amendment Rights are selfish. For now, they are still my rights. I know you probably care little for them.

I care more about the people who are going to die because you dumb-ass bible thumpers are more interested in praising your Sky Fairy than actually protecting lives.

For what, protect yourself for what? A few more spins on this floating rock in space?

And that right there, exactly, is the problem in 21st century America. Because we have become a post-Christian society, we have forgotten what freedom means to us. So we will ALL lose our freedom, we have lost "herd immunity freedom". Sure, we will be clinging to life after this. But what life?

We have forgotten that sometimes, life is not worth living. But whatever. Life can also be a very, very hard teacher.
If you think life isn't worth living then buy a bullet and rent a gun.

My life and the life of my wife are precious to me and I will do everything in my power to protect them

Apparently, SOME people aren't concerned about covid-19 because they have GOD on their side. Let's check back with them in a month or so, shall we? We'll see how that worked out by then. But if some of them die, they're all Christians so they'll be up in heaven, right? I guess.
I thought religious people were supposed to care for and protect their fellow man.

Seems to me they are not doing that

Jesus two major commands:

"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul and strength

And you shall love your neighbor as yourself"

Do not get those mixed up in order. That said, we should not be reckless...that is, we should not show up at church with active infection, of course.
You do know that many people have active infections and show no symptoms at all don't you?

And where does it say in the bible that one must attend church service ? Can't you love and worship your god from home?

You can but it's very important throughout the Bible to set aside a Sabbath Day as well. Note that my church is meeting virtually now. But I do not deny any church the right to meet in person now. If you are a person of true faith it's the most important part of your life.

And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. --Hebrews 10:24-25

What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up. If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn, and let someone interpret. But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silent in church and speak to himself and to God.
1 Corinthians 14:26-28
Religion and faith are two different things. When we treat every person as a brother or sister we practice true religion, everything else is mystical mumbo-jumbo. The rituals of religion serve an important social purpose but it is still a merely earthly purpose.

Live free or die!

Yes indeed. Or the cry of my patriot forefathers: "Give me liberty or give me death!"

But not now. The cry of the 21st century American: "Big Daddy Govco, keep me safe! There's a virus out there and it's scaaaaarrrrry and I don't know what to do if you don't protect meeeeee"

Really shameful when you think about it

My life and the life of my wife are precious to me and I will do everything in my power to protect them

Come off it.

The phrase "quality of life" must mean something to you

Live free or die!

Yes indeed. Or the cry of my patriot forefathers: "Give me liberty or give me death!"

But not now. The cry of the 21st century American: "Big Daddy Govco, keep me safe! There's a virus out there and it's scaaaaarrrrry and I don't know what to do if you don't protect meeeeee"

I don't expect the government to ever keep me safe.

I protect myself if you don't want to do that that's your problem

I thought religious people were supposed to care for and protect their fellow man.

Seems to me they are not doing that

Jesus two major commands:

"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul and strength

And you shall love your neighbor as yourself"

Do not get those mixed up in order. That said, we should not be reckless...that is, we should not show up at church with active infection, of course.
You do know that many people have active infections and show no symptoms at all don't you?

And where does it say in the bible that one must attend church service ? Can't you love and worship your god from home?

You can but it's very important throughout the Bible to set aside a Sabbath Day as well. Note that my church is meeting virtually now. But I do not deny any church the right to meet in person now. If you are a person of true faith it's the most important part of your life.

And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. --Hebrews 10:24-25

What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up. If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn, and let someone interpret. But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silent in church and speak to himself and to God.
1 Corinthians 14:26-28
Religion and faith are two different things. When we treat every person as a brother or sister we practice true religion, everything else is mystical mumbo-jumbo. The rituals of religion serve an important social purpose but it is still a merely earthly purpose.

I reject your faith

Live free or die!

Sure you expect the government to keep you safe, don't you? We have protected religious freedom in the Constitution but you have a problem with it. What do you propose to do about it?

Come off it.

My life is very high quality even now.

I still have my wife, my dogs, my music I need nothing else

These people who go to these mega-churches are being incredibly selfish. Whatever they contract while there they will carry with them to infect others.
Of course. But they believe it's not that dangerous.

So what are we supposed to say to someone like that?

I do not know. I've said, years before the coronavirus showed up, that these guys have to have their stage so that they can be videoed waving their arms in the air for "God" and can't just pray. I don't know what to think. In my own life, I've been to Ephesus, the Great Mosque of Istanbul, St. Peter's, the catacombs, Canterbury, Westminster, the National Cathedral, but these people's antics have caused me to rethink what faith is all about. Is it a farce? I am in the midst of serious questioning.

You don't know. You should have just left it at that.

Honestly you probably don't even believe in God. Certainly not in Jesus Christ. So just leave it at "I don't know"

You do not know me. You do not know what thoughts occur to me. Judging from your comments on USMB, you do not believe in Jesus Christ. Go read the Sermon on the Mount.

This is very simple: I am a Christian. I believe before the universe began, there was the Trinity, the God, Three in One, Father, Son, Holy Ghost.

If you believe that and a few other things, you too are a Christian. If you don't, you aren't. If you hedge, you're not a Christian but don't want to admit it, so you can argue and accuse me.

Sorry kid. This does not include a belief in somebody like frankie graham or falwell, neither of whom represent the Christian faith. Again. Read the Sermon on the Mount.

So as suspected you are not a Christian.

Come off it.

I didn't ask you about your quality of life at this moment.

Still have to go to out to the store for supplies, and all it takes is one idiot. Still required to go into the office once a week. One person at the place I consult for has already tested positive.

You cannot be forced to go to work and consulting can be done via the internet or telephone. And if you are fastidious in your own self protection the likelihood of getting infected is pretty low

Oh. Then what's the problem if people go to church?

Huh

Live free or die!

Sure you expect the government to keep you safe, don't you? We have protected religious freedom in the Constitution but you have a problem with it. What do you propose to do about it?

I don't care what your religion is but don't assume that other people don't think their life is worth living just because you think yours isn't

If you care so little for your own health and the people of your church care so little for theirs that's your problem so go to church and get everyone there sick IDGAF because I have never stepped foot in a church and don't plan to any time in my life

But don't tell me you can't practice your religion from home or in small groups because that is simply untrue

Did you ever notice that GERMS aren't mentioned in the Bible? Why is that?
No, but I'm curious to know your theory on that.
My theory is simple: ancient people had no idea that germs exist. They had no microscopes, and they had no concept of a germ-caused disease. They thought that diseases were caused by the wrath of the gods, or bad humors, or evil spirits, or some other malevolent agency. So they had to come up with some other explanation, but it was wrong.
The whole idea of the law of Moses was basic sanitation
But I don't knowif they recognized it as such

Come off it.

I didn't ask you about your quality of life at this moment.

No you implied that quality of life is important to the choice to live or die.

You don't think life is worth living because you feel you have no quality of life because you say you are being prevented from practicing your religion so do us all a favor and get it over with already

Oh. Then what's the problem if people go to church?

Huh
Where did I say it was a problem?

I said it was stupid because no one has to go to a church to practice their religion

Forum List

Back