McCain dead

He did it as a gesture to both the conservatives and Hillary supporters that were supporting him. It worked too. Palin helped him get the votes of people who hated him.

Too bad he was both a crappy candidate and campaigner.

actually, he was just fine as a candidate...

The problem was, there was no way in 2008, anyone could sell the notion that the Republicans deserved another 4 years. A wrecked and burning economy, two wars that were going nowhere... what was his argument?

How do you figure that McCain was "fine" as a candidate at all? He allowed the Democrat Party enemy to crap all over him, without response.

B. Hussein O's surrogate ripped him a new one daily for alleged racism, fascism, nazism, and being another Hitler. McCain was attacked for his dozen homes, abandoning his first Old Lady for the blonde beer heiress he ended up shacking up with.

I think Democrats like him as a candidate because he was such a pushover.
McCain's job was to lose. He fulfilled it.

McCain saved Obamacare along with Collins and Murkowski

He had previously voted in favor of Republican plans to replace Obamacare. But when faced with a vote to repeal it and replace it with nothing, he knew it would hurt Americans and gave the thumbs down

An example of where McCain would support his party, but only so far

McCain saved Obamacare along with Collins and Murkowski

He had previously voted in favor of Republican plans to replace Obamacare. But when faced with a vote to repeal it and replace it with nothing, he knew it would hurt Americans and gave the thumbs down

An example of where McCain would support his party, but only so far
Principles has become a four letter word for Republicans these days

Please allow me to repost my comment from another thread that underlines why McCain is not a role model:

"I don't buy the story " he was an honor student and no one knows why he turned to a life of crime" in order to forgive the guilty.

Even if McCain was tortured, his past is not an excuse for how he lived his life.

McCain was corrupt. Thousands lost life savings in what was a huge savings and loan scandal and the taxpayers had to foot the bill.

Keating 5. Read the details of his very close relationship to Charles Keating and how he acted on Keating's behalf. McCain spent time at Keating's home in the Bahamas, flew on Keating's private jet, received campaign donations, had McCain's wife buy into a Keating shopping center.......

McCain may have suffered but he was not a good man."

Sigh... not this again.

Okay, one more time. The problem with the Keating Five is that it was really the Keating Three.

Keating Five - Wikipedia

After a lengthy investigation, the Senate Ethics Committeedetermined in 1991 that Cranston, DeConcini, and Riegle had substantially and improperly interfered with the FHLBB's investigation of Lincoln Savings, with Cranston receiving a formal reprimand. Senators Glenn and McCain were cleared of having acted improperly but were criticized for having exercised "poor judgment".

All five senators served out their terms. Only Glenn and McCain ran for re-election, and they both retained their seats. McCain would go on to run for President of the United States twice, and was the Republican Party nominee in 2008.

The Ethics Committee ruled that the involvement of McCain in the scheme was also minimal, and he too was cleared of all charges against him.[55][56] McCain was criticized by the Committee for exercising "poor judgment" when he met with the federal regulators on Keating's behalf.[7] The report also said that McCain's "actions were not improper nor attended with gross negligence and did not reach the level of requiring institutional action against him....Senator McCain has violated no law of the United States or specific Rule of the United States Senate."[59] On his Keating Five experience, McCain has said: "The appearance of it was wrong. It's a wrong appearance when a group of senators appear in a meeting with a group of regulators, because it conveys the impression of undue and improper influence. And it was the wrong thing to do."[7]

Let's be clear, the Ethics Committee is worthless. In fact, some have considered doing away with it because it is so worthless.

After all, how can you have someone like Charley Rangel who has clearly broken laws that was detailed by the Ethics Committee and, not only remain in office, but be reelected after 20 some ethics violations?

The system is a joke and everyone now knows it.

This idiot didn’t know shit about an economy. All he knew was the military (half-assed most of the time) and that was it. Lost an election to Barack Obama? How? Thumbs down on repeal of the worst program ever. No use for this guy. Lefty will politicize his death. Obama will speak. In the end...McCain was not a hero...he was just a lying assed politician.
Republicans eating their own.

The governor may well appoint Cindy McCain who serve until at least the 2020 election.

Why not, we do live in a virtual Monarchy.

The guv should name Joseph Arpaio who was recently exonerated by his President on false charges, or perhaps another prominent Arizonian like Ralph Barger who has led one of America's most prominent motorcycle clubs for half a century.

This idiot didn’t know shit about an economy. All he knew was the military (half-assed most of the time) and that was it. Lost an election to Barack Obama? How? Thumbs down on repeal of the worst program ever. No use for this guy. Lefty will politicize his death. Obama will speak. In the end...McCain was not a hero...he was just a lying assed politician.

Just goes to show you that the “military loving conservatives “ are a bunch of phonies .

Get in their way and they will cut you down.

Actually the voter turn out was only 2% higher than 2004. With Conservative turn out being a little over 1% less than 2004. Black voter turn out being extremely high.

Had nothing to do with the " issues" and everything to do with McCain being hated by conservatives and Obama being black.

No, it had to do with every demographic rejecting the GOP message.

In 2004, Bush got 55% of the male vote and 58% of the white vote, the two mainstays of the GOP electoral base. .

McCain got 48% of the male vote and 55% of the white vote.

(By comparison, Trumpenfuhrer 52% of the male vote and 57% of the white vote.)

When it came to groups that skew to the Democrats, he did worse. He got 4% of the black vote compared to 11% that Bush got. And because he backed away from his own immigration reform proposals to appeal to the knuckle-draggers in the GOP base, he only got 31% of the Hispanic vote compared to 44% that Bush got.

It really, really had to do with the fact that Bush had messed up everything so badly that

Best thing McCain/Soros ever did was put Sarah Palin on the national stage giving Progressives all the up to Brock "born in Kenya" Obama a chance to show what a real War on Women looks like

Just goes to show you that the “military loving conservatives “ are a bunch of phonies .

Get in their way and they will cut you down.

They attack McCain, Kerry, Carter while defending Trump and Cheney

An unfortunate OP. Since entering the Senate, McCain voted with Republicans 87% of the time. The American Conservative Union gave McCain a rating of 81% through 2015. McCain voted for every Supreme Court nominee nominated by Republican presidents, including Alito, Roberts, and Gorsuch. Just before he died, he announced he would vote for Kavanaugh and called him "mainstream." Beyond his mostly conservative record, there is also the fact that he served in the U.S. Navy, turned down the North Vietnamese offer to be released early because of who he was, and endured torture at their hands.

So I am willing to overlook the handful of areas and actions of McCain's that I don't like and am willing to honor his memory in the aftermath of his passing.

Although I did not always agree with him, I am sorry for John McCain's loss, and my thoughts go out to his family and friends. I think that he always tried to do what he thought was right for the country within the parameters of what he thought this was.

To the politics types here on USMB, Sometimes he made the wrong choices. I will have to say that his selection of Sarah Palin, an entirely useless individual, as his running mate cost him dearly. I just don't know what got into him at the time. Her selection was a major blunder.
Riiight...because if he just hadn't picked Sarah Palin the left wouldn't have trashed him but instead voted for him.

We had our moments on other issues, but in most times McCain retained his dignity .Why did he pick Palin to run with him? She was/is just white-trash garbage. Major blunder.
He did it as a gesture to both the conservatives and Hillary supporters that were supporting him. It worked too. Palin helped him get the votes of people who hated him.

Too bad he was running against Obama

He never had a chance

Actually the voter turn out was only 2% higher than 2004. With Conservative turn out being a little over 1% less than 2004. Black voter turn out being extremely high.

Had nothing to do with the " issues" and everything to do with McCain being hated by conservatives and Obama being black.

No, it had to do with every demographic rejecting the GOP message.

In 2004, Bush got 55% of the male vote and 58% of the white vote, the two mainstays of the GOP electoral base. .

McCain got 48% of the male vote and 55% of the white vote.

(By comparison, Trumpenfuhrer 52% of the male vote and 57% of the white vote.)

When it came to groups that skew to the Democrats, he did worse. He got 4% of the black vote compared to 11% that Bush got. And because he backed away from his own immigration reform proposals to appeal to the knuckle-draggers in the GOP base, he only got 31% of the Hispanic vote compared to 44% that Bush got.

It really, really had to do with the fact that Bush had messed up everything so badly that
Yes dipshit W really sucked and then Big Ears did too. Two great warmongers and Johnny was even worse.

Although I did not always agree with him, I am sorry for John McCain's loss, and my thoughts go out to his family and friends. I think that he always tried to do what he thought was right for the country within the parameters of what he thought this was.

To the politics types here on USMB, Sometimes he made the wrong choices. I will have to say that his selection of Sarah Palin, an entirely useless individual, as his running mate cost him dearly. I just don't know what got into him at the time. Her selection was a major blunder.
Riiight...because if he just hadn't picked Sarah Palin the left wouldn't have trashed him but instead voted for him.

We had our moments on other issues, but in most times McCain retained his dignity .Why did he pick Palin to run with him? She was/is just white-trash garbage. Major blunder.

Too bad he was running against Obama

He never had a chance

Forum List

Back