Man Cannot Be Suitably Moral or Good without God. Here's why:

Pretty much, exactly. You’re an ardent Christian because you were born and raised in the west.
Then everyone born and raised in the West is an ardent Christian? Doesn't work that way, and you are one of many who can testify being born into a Christian family doesn't make one a Christian.

Then everyone born and raised in the West is an ardent Christian? Doesn't work that way, and you are one of many who can testify being born into a Christian family doesn't make one a Christian.
I never wrote “everyone born and raised in the West is an ardent Christian?” Overwhelming, religious belief is inherited based upon familial and geographic location. I can testify to that with supported data.

Overwhelming, religious belief is inherited based upon familial and geographic location. I can testify to that with supported data.
No need to. It's pretty much common knowledge that about forty percent of children leave the faith into which they were born. I am betting the study you are referencing are about those who remain. "After studying those sixty percent who stay remain in the faith in which they were raised, nearly a hundred percent were raised in that faith." Great way to gloss over the forty percent who left, isn't it? Are you good with the reality: "Over a third of those who are raised in a religion, have left it at some point during adulthood.

Belief is not "inherited" from my parents any more than I inherited teaching math from my father.

Did you inherit your non-belief?

No need to. It's pretty much common knowledge that about forty percent of children leave the faith into which they were born. I am betting the study you are referencing are about those who remain. "After studying those sixty percent who stay remain in the faith in which they were raised, nearly a hundred percent were raised in that faith." Great way to gloss over the forty percent who left, isn't it? Are you good with the reality: "Over a third of those who are raised in a religion, have left it at some point during adulthood.

Belief is not "inherited" from my parents any more than I inherited teaching math from my father.

Did you inherit your non-belief?
Yes. Quite curious that belief is, far more often than not, simply a matter of geographic location and family heritage.

The most devout Christian born in the US would most likely be the most devout Moslem if born in the KSA, for example.

Why do you find that curious?
For all the unquestioning, absolute belief held by religionists that their religion is the “true” religion, those beliefs are arbitrary and capricious when viewed in the context of geography being the deciding factor of what that “true” religion is.

I would have rejected the predominate faith of my place of birth elsewhere as here after investigating the faith.
See, we are alike. I did a like investigation of the faith into which I was born...and there was God. I do not walk by faith, but by knowledge. I am a staunch believer in "Blessed are those who do not see, but believe." Living with knowledge is much more difficult than to simply walk by faith.

See, we are alike. I did a like investigation of the faith into which I was born...and there was God. I do not walk by faith, but by knowledge. I am a staunch believer in "Blessed are those who do not see, but believe." Living with knowledge is much more difficult than to simply walk by faith.
There is quite a roll call of gods as countless believers have claimed to investigate their faith and found the unique gods of their respective religions.

With so many “true” gods and “true” religions, maybe the gods can unionize.

There is quite a roll call of gods as countless believers have claimed to investigate their faith and found the unique gods of their respective religions.

With so many “true” gods and “true” religions, maybe the gods can unionize.
This is why I love the story of Abraham's youth. Tradition says that Abraham came from a family that sold totems--i.e. carving of images that were believed to contain the power of the image. Abraham was given the job, day after day, hour after hour, minute after minute, wiping the dust off the totems and polishing them to a high sheen. All his friends were outside doing something more exciting!

One day Abraham was feeling particularly frustrated. At one point his Father left the tent with the usual instructions for dusting and polishing. When Dad returned, all the totems (gods) but one were smashed to pieces and kicked around. Abraham's alarmed father asked what had happened. He became less alarmed but more angry, when Abraham told him, "While you were gone, the gods had a huge fight. Only one survived."

I still haven't had my questions answered:
1) If atheist is the correct belief, why do atheists lead all belief groups in alcoholism, drug abuse, broken relationships, and suicides?
and
2) Why are the five current officially atheist regimes oppressive depraved violent murderous hellholes nobody wants to live in?

Isn't there ANY atheist out there who can answer?

This is why I love the story of Abraham's youth. Tradition says that Abraham came from a family that sold totems--i.e. carving of images that were believed to contain the power of the image. Abraham was given the job, day after day, hour after hour, minute after minute, wiping the dust off the totems and polishing them to a high sheen. All his friends were outside doing something more exciting!

One day Abraham was feeling particularly frustrated. At one point his Father left the tent with the usual instructions for dusting and polishing. When Dad returned, all the totems (gods) but one were smashed to pieces and kicked around. Abraham's alarmed father asked what had happened. He became less alarmed but more angry, when Abraham told him, "While you were gone, the gods had a huge fight. Only one survived."
That’s a lovely story.

Is any of it true?

1) If atheist is the correct belief, why do atheists lead all belief groups in alcoholism, drug abuse, broken relationships, and suicides?
and
2) Why are the five current officially atheist regimes oppressive depraved violent murderous hellholes nobody wants to live in?

You had your questioned answered. You didn’t like the answer so you retreated to your safe space of self-delusion.

There are atheists in my family. I am married to an atheist. No atheist that I know has ever led anyone into alcoholism, drug abuse, broken relationships, and suicides.

I consider your question as unfair as someone asking, "If Catholicism is the correct belief, why were even a small percentage of priests guilty of pedophilia?"

and

Nobody has to account for the embarrassing lies you made up to beg strangers for attention on the internet. What an embarrassing freak you are...

That’s a lovely story.

Is any of it true?
My understanding is that it is Jewish folklore, a story that was passed down word-of-mouth in the Jewish community. Impossible to know if it is true, or a made-up story about Abraham. Remember, Abraham was the first we know of that insisted there was only One God, the God of all--not just the God of a single nation, so while the narrative fits, the story did not make it into the Bible.

Forum List

Back