Love and Marriage...Do You Get It?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I am old and have been married forever. Throughout the generations of my life I have been disturbed about the general ignorance (sorry to use that term) that people have about love and marriage, and how they go together (and it's not "like a horse and carriage"). In large part the reason why people don't get it is because the culture promotes a false view, possibly because it makes for better story lines, and possibly because those who write the scripts don't get it either. (Witness how successful Show Biz marriages are).

Regardless, here's the deal: "Love" means two different things. One is an emotional attachment, and the other is an act of volition - a commitment. You cannot get them confused.

When you say, "I love you," you are saying, in effect, that "I feel an emotional attachment to you that is as overwhelming as I am capable of feeling, right now." That's it. It is a wonderful feeling. And it is a transitory feeling. The fact that you feel that way TODAY is no guarantee that you will feel that way tomorrow, or next week, let alone for a lifetime. I personally cannot even imagine having that feeling for a lifetime. Emotions don't work that way, at least for me. I can't even stay angry for more than a couple days.

When you get married, you say, in effect, "I PROMISE TO LOVE YOU until we are separated by death." This is an act of volition, not a statement of emotion. Nowhere in the traditional marriage ceremony does either person say, "I love you." And there is a reason for that. As we all have observed from time to time (and possibly felt ourselves), the EMOTIONAL LOVE that accompanied getting engaged is just a memory by the time you get married many months later. (In the Cajuna Virus days, it can be YEARS later).

When you PROMISE to love that person, you are promising to treat them in a certain way (in a "loving" way, if you will), regardless of how you feel at any given time, because that commitment is a necessary ingredient to a successful marriage. And when you treat each other in a loving way, pretty much all the time, the emotional love will return from time to time as long as you are married. That's how it works. That is a successful marriage.

That's why, in cultures where they have arranged marriages, those marriages tend to last a lifetime. Because the "lovers" who enter into those marriages understand how it works. THEY believe that by making the commitment and treating each other lovingly, you nurture the emotional attachment, which then follows.

If you get engaged because you believe that the emotional attachment that you feel at the time will remain, and remain as strong, for a lifetime, then you are child who has no business getting engaged, let alone bringing more children into the world.

At least that's what I think.

Disagree?

I am old and have been married forever. Throughout the generations of my life I have been disturbed about the general ignorance (sorry to use that term) that people have about love and marriage, and how they go together (and it's not "like a horse and carriage"). In large part the reason why people don't get it is because the culture promotes a false view, possibly because it makes for better story lines, and possibly because those who write the scripts don't get it either. (Witness how successful Show Biz marriages are).

Regardless, here's the deal: "Love" means two different things. One is an emotional attachment, and the other is an act of volition - a commitment. You cannot get them confused.

When you say, "I love you," you are saying, in effect, that "I feel an emotional attachment to you that is as overwhelming as I am capable of feeling, right now." That's it. It is a wonderful feeling. And it is a transitory feeling. The fact that you feel that way TODAY is no guarantee that you will feel that way tomorrow, or next week, let alone for a lifetime. I personally cannot even imagine having that feeling for a lifetime. Emotions don't work that way, at least for me. I can't even stay angry for more than a couple days.

When you get married, you say, in effect, "I PROMISE TO LOVE YOU until we are separated by death." This is an act of volition, not a statement of emotion. Nowhere in the traditional marriage ceremony does either person say, "I love you." And there is a reason for that. As we all have observed from time to time (and possibly felt ourselves), the EMOTIONAL LOVE that accompanied getting engaged is just a memory by the time you get married many months later. (In the Cajuna Virus days, it can be YEARS later).

When you PROMISE to love that person, you are promising to treat them in a certain way (in a "loving" way, if you will), regardless of how you feel at any given time, because that commitment is a necessary ingredient to a successful marriage. And when you treat each other in a loving way, pretty much all the time, the emotional love will return from time to time as long as you are married. That's how it works. That is a successful marriage.

That's why, in cultures where they have arranged marriages, those marriages tend to last a lifetime. Because the "lovers" who enter into those marriages understand how it works. THEY believe that by making the commitment and treating each other lovingly, you nurture the emotional attachment, which then follows.

If you get engaged because you believe that the emotional attachment that you feel at the time will remain, and remain as strong, for a lifetime, then you are child who has no business getting engaged, let alone bringing more children into the world.

Disagree?

Well stated.

Marriage is a commitment. Our society has destroyed the concept of honor that binds good people to commitments.

Disagree?
To love someone “till death” doesn’t mean stay married “till death.” My second wife and I got divorced but we never stopped loving each other.

To love someone “till death” doesn’t mean stay married “till death.” My second wife and I got divorced but we never stopped loving each other.

The Marxist left waged war on our culture starting the 1950's. Many of us still take vows to love, honor, and cherish each other until death do we part. We do not part from each other until death, as a matter of honor.

But the democrats, the Marxists, have attacked the very concept of honor. A vow is meaningless to the left.

Disagree?
You are missing the third element of love and marriage, the word love as an unconditional situation where love is emanated without strings..It is love you give freely. Unconditional love means that you love someone regardless of circumstance, but not regardless of how they treat you.

Disagree?
In July it will be 50 years

The Marxist left waged war on our culture starting the 1950's. Many of us still take vows to love, honor, and cherish each other until death do we part. We do not part from each other until death, as a matter of honor.

But the democrats, the Marxists, have attacked the very concept of honor. A vow is meaningless to the left.
You are so full of it. When God granted Moses the law of divorce it didn't come with a blessing but a rebuke of hard hearts. Was God or Moses or the Hebrews Marxist or Democrats?

It's worse than that. It is a central tenant of Marxism that the family must be destroyed in order to usher in communism. And just look at what the left has been systematically been engaged in for the past 75 years. Coincidence?

It's worse than that. It is a central tenant of Marxism that the family must be destroyed in order to usher in communism. And just look at what the left has been systematically been engaged in for the past 75 years. Coincidence?
Who is a tenant of Marxism? Do they build special abodes for that?

I am old and have been married forever. Throughout the generations of my life I have been disturbed about the general ignorance (sorry to use that term) that people have about love and marriage, and how they go together (and it's not "like a horse and carriage").

No? Then how come people get "hitched"?

Gotcha :rock:

WTF is going on with this thread? I did not make the above post four minutes ago, I don't think it was even four months ago. I vaguely remember this tread, it's not new but the time stamps are off. :dunno:

WTF is going on with this thread? I did not make the above post four minutes ago, I don't think it was even four months ago. I vaguely remember this tread, it's not new but the time stamps are off. :dunno:
It was doing the same yesterday.

Ya know this ‘everything on the right is good and everything on the left is evil’ is getting really boring.

Marxism has no tenet about destroying the family, if it does why are you not linking to it's publication?

I always wondered how an ardent Marxist like you could be so incredibly ignorant of Marxism.

{
Abolition of the family! ... The bourgeois family will disappear, in the course [of history] as its supplement [private property] disappears, and both will vanish with the destruction of capital.
- The Communist Manifesto, Chapter 2, Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels. }

Robert Owens, an early Communist wrote;

{ I now declare, to you and to the world, that Man, up to this hour, has been, in all parts of the earth, a slave to a Trinity of the most monstrous evils that could be combined to inflict mental and physical evil upon his whole race. I refer to private, or individual property — absurd and irrational systems of religion — and marriage, founded on individual property combined with some one of these irrational systems of religion. [6] }

Under Lenin the Communist Party wrote;

{ “The current morality of our youth is summarized as follows,” the well-known communist Madame Smidovich wrote in the Communist Party newspaper Pravda in March 1925. “Every member, even a minor, of the Communist Youth League and every student of the Rabfak [Communist Party training school] has the right to satisfy his sexual desire. This concept has become an axiom, and abstinence is considered a bourgeois notion. If a man lusts after a young girl, whether she is a student, a worker, or even a school-age girl, then the girl must obey his lust; otherwise, she will be considered a bourgeois daughter, unworthy to be called a true communist.” }

Ya know this ‘everything on the right is good and everything on the left is evil’ is getting really boring.

I'm sorry facts bore you.

I'm sorry facts bore you.
Not facts...whining.

Forum List

Back