Lions bounce back, beat Atlanta

All I know is that I don't remember seeing so many bad injuries back in the 1970s-1980s. And back then, they weren't paid millions of dollars, played THROUGH injuries, didn't run out of bounds everytime someone got near and used to try to kill each other.

Yeah, too many business decisions these days.

Tua was relived in the fourth quarter by Mike White, with the game well in hand.
My DVR recorded the game so I got to watch it. Yes, they gave the backup some snaps. So FUCK Denver for crying that they ran up the score. The 4th quarter was their opportunity to give their backup so experience. Play all 4 quarters Denver. Or call No Mas.

How about my Lions?

Eagles, SF, Miami. I fear these teams. I think the Lion's can beat Dallas but that will be a good game.

My DVR recorded the game so I got to watch it. Yes, they gave the backup some snaps. So FUCK Denver for crying that they ran up the score. The 4th quarter was their opportunity to give their backup so experience. Play all 4 quarters Denver. Or call No Mas.

How about my Lions?

Eagles, SF, Miami. I fear these teams. I think the Lion's can beat Dallas but that will be a good game.
The Lions do look good but it’s hard to get on that bandwagon, after decades of losing under the Ford family.

The Lions do look good but it’s hard to get on that bandwagon, after decades of losing under the Ford family.
I was explaining this to a younger coworker. I told him that the Lion's always find new/interesting/different ways to let us down. Some years they suck right away and you know it. But some years they get better and ALMOST make the playoffs. Or they make the playoffs and lose right away. One year they had the division but then gave it away to Green Bay. Some years they start off good some years they end good. But it's always ALMOST. Oh I totally expect to be let down. And I will all the way to the Superbowl. Even at the Superbowl, I will not expect them to win it.

They were saying last night on a sports talk show how important that last game we played last year against Green Bay. We weren't going to make the playoffs but if Green Bay won, they would have made the playoffs. We beat them. And that might have changed the dynamic in our division. Had Aaron Rogers made the playoffs last year, maybe he doesn't go to the Jets.

He's old now but you know what I mean. The Lion's seem different. But even if they are great, so are SF, Miami and the Eagles.

How about my Lions?

Sports talk commute time on Sirius lit up with Lions talk. I don't have Amazon but evidently they destroyed Green Gay. As a sidenote now the talk is, Jordan Love is a complete bust? They are now saying he is worse than Fields .... down to a Zack Wilson level. No pocket awareness?

Sports talk commute time on Sirius lit up with Lions talk. I don't have Amazon but evidently they destroyed Green Gay. As a sidenote now the talk is, Jordan Love is a complete bust? They are now saying he is worse than Fields .... down to a Zack Wilson level. No pocket awareness?

I didn't watch it yet, I have NFL+ so I can watch the replay at my leisure, but Green Bay had 27 net rushing yards on 12 carries and that ain't going to cut it in the NFL. GB is a team that relies on it's running game to setup play action, so when you can't run it then you can't win. Plus, Love was sacked 5 times for 43 yards and hit and hurried more than that, so all in all he didn't have much of a chance to shine. I've noticed that some fans are really quick to declare somebody to be a bust, and Love might not make it as a starting NFL QB, but he oughta at least get to finish the year and see if he progressed before people start drawing any conclusions. The fact is that Green Bay as a team got their asses kicked big time; they did manage a comeback of sorts in the 3rd qtr and got within 10 I think, but then the Lions scored a TD on an 8-minute drive in the 4th and slammed the door shut. And that 1st half was embarassing, you don't often see that kind of dominance over a home team.

And saying he's worse than Fields? Now that's downright mean.

I didn't watch it yet, I have NFL+ so I can watch the replay at my leisure, but Green Bay had 27 net rushing yards on 12 carries and that ain't going to cut it in the NFL. GB is a team that relies on it's running game to setup play action, so when you can't run it then you can't win. Plus, Love was sacked 5 times for 43 yards and hit and hurried more than that, so all in all he didn't have much of a chance to shine. I've noticed that some fans are really quick to declare somebody to be a bust, and Love might not make it as a starting NFL QB, but he oughta at least get to finish the year and see if he progressed before people start drawing any conclusions. The fact is that Green Bay as a team got their asses kicked big time; they did manage a comeback of sorts in the 3rd qtr and got within 10 I think, but then the Lions scored a TD on an 8-minute drive in the 4th and slammed the door shut. And that 1st half was embarassing, you don't often see that kind of dominance over a home team.

I don't follow the Packers much, never really cared to even though they are in the North Division. But it does look like Green Bay and Chicago are dysfunctional right now; pardon me while I wipe away my crocodile tears. And the Vikings ain't doing so hot either and I feel so bad about all that.

A word about zone coverage though, and any comments will be appreciated. Essentially, in football you have zone pass coverage vs man-to-man. In man coverage basically you stick to your assigned man wherever he goes but you gotta be really fast and really aggressive to do that these days cuz some of those guys are pretty big and very fast. The zone alternative is as it sounds, each defensive player is responsible for a zone or area on the field of play. If run properly your pass defense can be pretty decent; it's designed to prevent long gainers, so the offense has to move the ball down the field in smaller chunks that often times are derailed by a penalty or a busted play.

But there's one other advantage to a zone defense, and that is that your defense has their eyes on the QB, reading him instead of your eyes on the receiver you're covering. And that means in todays NFL with so many nimble QBs that can run the ball effectively, you can make it harder for them to get big yardage cuz as soon as he takes off you got a bunch of guys coming at him like hellfire missiles. My Lions are a case in point, last year opposing QBs killed the Lions by escaping containment and running for 1st downs and TDs. And this was due in some part to their propensity to play man-to-man defense. But this year they've switched to using more zone coverages and thereby they ain't getting killed by the running QBs. Not yet anyway, interesting to see what happens going forward with Fields, Bryce Young, and others.

OR the Lion's D is that damn good. Or his line isn't protecting him. I about shit myself at the beginning of the game Goff threw an interception. Uh Oh! But the Packers went 3 and out had to kick a field goal. Okay so no big deal. Spotting them 3 points. Hopefully Goff doesn't panic. But it's in Lambo and you never know with a division rival right? Then we were up something like 21 to 3 at the half. But then I thought about how Green Bay came back last week and won so I was worried in the 4th when they were up 13. One quick TD and it's a ballgame. Lions hung in

The lions could win the rest of their games. I say at most they lose 4 games this year. Who are the three teams that will beat us? We don’t play San Francisco or Miami. Or Philly

I don't follow the Packers much, never really cared to even though they are in the North Division. But it does look like Green Bay and Chicago are dysfunctional right now; pardon me while I wipe away my crocodile tears. And the Vikings ain't doing so hot either and I feel so bad about all that.

A word about zone coverage though, and any comments will be appreciated. Essentially, in football you have zone pass coverage vs man-to-man. In man coverage basically you stick to your assigned man wherever he goes but you gotta be really fast and really aggressive to do that these days cuz some of those guys are pretty big and very fast. The zone alternative is as it sounds, each defensive player is responsible for a zone or area on the field of play. If run properly your pass defense can be pretty decent; it's designed to prevent long gainers, so the offense has to move the ball down the field in smaller chunks that often times are derailed by a penalty or a busted play.

But there's one other advantage to a zone defense, and that is that your defense has their eyes on the QB, reading him instead of your eyes on the receiver you're covering. And that means in todays NFL with so many nimble QBs that can run the ball effectively, you can make it harder for them to get big yardage cuz as soon as he takes off you got a bunch of guys coming at him like hellfire missiles. My Lions are a case in point, last year opposing QBs killed the Lions by escaping containment and running for 1st downs and TDs. And this was due in some part to their propensity to play man-to-man defense. But this year they've switched to using more zone coverages and thereby they ain't getting killed by the running QBs. Not yet anyway, interesting to see what happens going forward with Fields, Bryce Young, and others.

This year doesn't feel like any other year. I don't think we are going to blow it this year. We should at least win our division and win the first playoff game which would be a home game. I don't want to jinx it but

Lions 4 and 1
Packers 2-3 after losing last night
Chicago and Vikings both 1-4.

Atlanta was 2-0 going into Sunday's game, but they didn't look that good to me. But the Lions did, even though they were down to needing an OG to play at RT due to injuries. That might be the best I've seen the Lions defense play in quite awhile, 20-6 and they stymied the much-heralded Bijan Robinson to 10 carries for 33 yards. Now for the Green Bay Packers on Thursday night. I don't have Amazon Prime so I can't watch it, but for now it appears these 2 teams will battle it out for the division title. We'll see if the Vikings can overcome an 0-3 start and the Bears are, well the Bears.
We beat Tampa soundly. A 3 and 1 team. San Fran and Eagles lost. We’re looking really good. Seriously

Forum List

Back