Liberal think: New $444 million hockey arena is still a go in Detroit

New $444 million hockey arena is still a go in Detroit

Detroit's financial crisis hasn't derailed the city's plans to spend more than $400 million in Michigan taxpayer funds on a new hockey arena for the Red Wings.

New $444 million hockey arena is still a go in Detroit - Jul. 26, 2013

i need to switch from independent to democrat, i could use that kind of financial planning

:cuckoo:

This is another example of how the owners of these professional teams get the local taxpayers to fund their projects for them by buying off the local pols. From December 2012:

Red Wings Arena: Legislation To Help Fund New Detroit Stadium Passes In State House
""Legislation that will pave the way for Motor City billionaire Mike Ilitch to build a new Red Wings hockey arena in Detroit passed in the state House Thursday. The bill now heads to Gov. Rick Snyder, who has the power to sign the bill into law.

Ilitch, who owns the Red Wings and Tigers and founded the Little Caesars Pizza chain, has proposed a $650 million development with residential, retail and office space that would include a new arena for Detroit's hockey team to replace their current home at Joe Louis. """

Red Wings Arena: Legislation To Help Fund New Detroit Stadium Passes In State House

Detroit's financial crisis hasn't derailed the city's plans to spend more than $400 million in Michigan taxpayer funds on a new hockey arena for the Red Wings.

i need to switch from independent to democrat, i could use that kind of financial planning

"The arena will be paid for with a $450 million bond issue that will be repaid over the next 30 years. Taxpayers will be paying almost two-thirds of the cost of the arena -- $283 million -- and private developers will cover the rest. Including interest, it's projected that there will be a total of $444 million in taxpayer funds spent on the project."

From my experience a bond issue goes towards a specific item. It doesn't go into the General Fund which police, Fire etc, are paid out from.

hmm.....let's see.....

pay millions for some pesky old pensions.....?

OR

pay millions for a spanking new hockey arena with retail, office, residential and hotel space as part of the project not to mention about 8,000 construction jobs.....?

:thewave:

but what will bankruptcy court have to say about this.....?

oh wait....the tax money to pay for it is coming out of the Detroit schools which are under state control due to their 'dire finances' and money to replace that school money will be coming from the state.....:eusa_shhh:

Last edited:
Having the people pay for the rich owners stadiums is a joke. How the people can't figure out that they're being screwed I have no idea. I remember good old Don Perrata in Oakland being paid 12,600 bucks an hour when he was working for Al Davis to get the Raiders back to Oakland. A bigger example of political corruption played out in plain view would be hard to come up with but the feds and the CA DOJ ignored it 'cause he was a liberal Democrat.

What's liberal about it?

Not a thing.

Greenlighting a huge business deal while public worker pensions are in jeopardy is about as conservative as it gets.

I see Tea Party favorite GOP Governor Rick Snyder is part of this liberal conspiracy per the OP's link! :eek:

What's liberal about it?

Not a thing.

Greenlighting a huge business deal while public worker pensions are in jeopardy is about as conservative as it gets.

Well if you can figure out how to sell 30,000 plus tickets 41 times a year to watch a bunch of old folks play gin rummy, Detroit would like to hear from your expert bussiness/ salesmanship mind..

This is just one of several huge infrastructure jobs coming to Detroit in the next few years. M1 Rail is due to kick off next month, then there's the new trade crossing as well.

The issue is not so much how much it costs as how much of the money stays in the city. If the construction predominantly uses Detroit labor, then the city as a whole benefits. If contractor are predominantly out of state then the money leaves. The renovation of the downtown area is a good thing in principle, but if the economic impact is not felt across all the city's zip codes then it a huge missed opportunity.

The only way most Detroit residents are going to really benefit is from employment. Most of them live nowhere near 'The T' (the Woodward / Jefferson, Downtown/Midtown area that are seeing this massive surge of economic development activity).

Having the people pay for the rich owners stadiums is a joke. How the people can't figure out that they're being screwed I have no idea. I remember good old Don Perrata in Oakland being paid 12,600 bucks an hour when he was working for Al Davis to get the Raiders back to Oakland. A bigger example of political corruption played out in plain view would be hard to come up with but the feds and the CA DOJ ignored it 'cause he was a liberal Democrat.

Did you see this new stadium being built?

679091.jpg

Yes, it's a brand new stadium complete with a press box, patios that local businesses can rent-out for parties, it will have training facilities, state of the art playing surface, and of course it will be a single-use facility.

Is it professional? No.
Is it for a college? No.

It is a high school football stadium being built in suburban Dallas to the tune of $60,000,000. Not surprisingly, the total amount floated in the bond issue was a measly $119,000,000; over half went to building the stadium. Estimates are that it will go completely unused for 300 days a year.

In brick red conservative Dallas.

I see Tea Party favorite GOP Governor Rick Snyder is part of this liberal conspiracy per the OP's link! :eek:

Funny how he didn't mention that...why can't they be honest?

I can see the thinking behind this project, we'll have to wait and see if it pays off though, which it most likely will pay off in the long run.

679091.jpg

Yes, it's a brand new stadium complete with a press box, patios that local businesses can rent-out for parties, it will have training facilities, state of the art playing surface, and of course it will be a single-use facility.

Is it professional? No.
Is it for a college? No.

It is a high school football stadium being built in suburban Dallas to the tune of $60,000,000. Not surprisingly, the total amount floated in the bond issue was a measly $119,000,000; over half went to building the stadium. Estimates are that it will go completely unused for 300 days a year.

Not all that rare....
Katy ISD unveils designs for planned second football stadium - Houston Chronicle

And it's not like one team is using it. The whole district uses it.
In fact even with two stadiums they'll have trouble scheduling all the games here in Katy.
And remember.....football is King in Texas.

What's liberal about it?

Not a thing.

That's the liberal modus operandi. Just look at Obamacare. It's a huge new government entitlement Democrats voted for when Social Security and Medicare are already insolvent.

679091.jpg

Is it professional? No.
Is it for a college? No.

Dallas isn't broke. Detroit it.

679091.jpg

Is it professional? No.
Is it for a college? No.

Not all that rare....
Katy ISD unveils designs for planned second football stadium - Houston Chronicle

In fact even with two stadiums they'll have trouble scheduling all the games here in Katy.

Do you know how many high schools are in the Katy ISD? I'm asking because that was what I first thought about Allen. But upon checking, Allen High School is the only high school in the district. I assumed there was going to be mad need for it to support their fleet of shcools but, no, Allen was the only HS in it's district.

To your point though, while it is true that JV teams and other clubs I suppose are going to be using it, by and large after December and the end of football season, you won't see much going on at the stadium. The Allen stadium is unique, I think because not only did it suck up half of the "education" bonds that were issued, there isn't a track around the stadium. I guess that would have cost $65,000,000 and no cents. No sense was involved.

Last edited:

679091.jpg

Is it professional? No.
Is it for a college? No.

Not all that rare....

Do you know how many high schools are in the Katy ISD? I'm asking because that was what I first thought about Allen. But upon checking, Allen High School is the only high school in the district. I assumed there was going to be mad need for it to support their fleet of shcools but, no, Allen was the only HS in it's district.

To your point though, while it is true that JV teams and other clubs I suppose are going to be using it, by and large after December and the end of football season, you won't see much going on at the stadium. The Allen stadium is unique, I think because not only did it suck up half of the "education" bonds that were issued, there isn't a track around the stadium. I guess that would have cost $65,000,000 and no cents. No sense was involved.

You wouldn't get 100 people to show up for a track meet

Forum List

Back