'Let's Not Shoot These Kids': Florida Police Caught In Shootout With 12yo Boy, 14yo Girl

Weapons everywhere.
Yes, and they need to be secured.

Every gunowner must take steps to ensure his guns are secured; had that been the case in this situation, this shooting wouldn’t have happened.

Every gunowner must assume his home will be broken into at some point.

My guns are kept in a safe – as an added precaution, the AKs have padlocks through the receiver/mag well; the AR 15s have cable locks through the ejection port/mag well.

With rights come responsibilities.
They were inside a locked home so they were secured.

Why don't you blame the delinquents who broke into the house?

Until you need the gun
Wrong.

I keep a handgun unsecured when I’m home.

When I leave home it’s either secured or comes with me.

This isn’t difficult to understand – one can be both a responsible gunowner and maintain personal security.
You do realize that if you lock your doors and windows when you leave that the gun in your home is secured don't you

If the homeowner had simply locked his firearms up, none of this could have happened.
And if those kids hadn’t ILLEGALLY broken into that house this wouldn’t have happened. You can’t blame the homeowner for these kids breaking and entering.
The homeowner isn't at fault for his house being broken into. The "gun owner" had a responsibility to secure his weapons so that anybody in his house, whether a burglar or visiting neighbor, didn't have unfettered access to loaded firearms and ammunition.

You wouldn't leave your car unlocked when it's out of sight.

No...he didn't.....he kept them in his house....that is it.......if he had left them on his front lawn you have an argument, he left them locked up in his home.....

You are simply looking for a way to attack gun owners, and onerous mandates to lock up guns so that you can then punish people who fail to meet those arbitrary standards you set are what you want.

I don't lock up my car when it is in the garage, you idiot......so if it is stolen and used to run someone over, am I to blame?

Grab your loaded and unlocked gun and blow them away. Would you also crate your dog?
When I had a dog he was kept on a chain to keep him from leaving the back yard and going after the mail man.

Hey...dip shit....if you have a mean dog and he is locked in your house and a burglar breaks in, leaves your front door open and the dog gets out and bites someone.......are you responsible because you didn't keep the dog locked in a cage when you were gone on the off chance a criminal would let your dog get loose?

You have no argument other than wanting another way to punish people for the sin of owning a gun....

If the homeowner had simply locked his firearms up, none of this could have happened.
And if those kids hadn’t ILLEGALLY broken into that house this wouldn’t have happened. You can’t blame the homeowner for these kids breaking and entering.
The homeowner isn't at fault for his house being broken into. The "gun owner" had a responsibility to secure his weapons so that anybody in his house, whether a burglar or visiting neighbor, didn't have unfettered access to loaded firearms and ammunition.

You wouldn't leave your car unlocked when it's out of sight.

You have no argument....if he keeps them in his home they are secured...anything else is you wanting a way to punish them for the crime of owning a gun.

You know how you actually solve this issue?

Life in prison for stealing a gun from a home...

That is how you do it.........but you don't care about the criminal being stopped from committing crimes....you just want the opportunity to punish the gun owner.

This is just sad. In America in 2021 we now have children shooting at police with the police hoping that they don't have to shoot back.

I understand this. I wouldn't want to shoot a child.

This is America. Weapons everywhere.

Yet we are much less safe.

Where the fuck..........ARE THEIR PARENTS!????!!!?

We don't have a weapons problem. We have a parent problem.

One of their parents was interviewed.....he has some sort of learning disability or other issues...and you can obviously see why the kid was not living with him...and had her own issues.

Weapons everywhere.
Yes, and they need to be secured.

Every gunowner must take steps to ensure his guns are secured; had that been the case in this situation, this shooting wouldn’t have happened.

Every gunowner must assume his home will be broken into at some point.

My guns are kept in a safe – as an added precaution, the AKs have padlocks through the receiver/mag well; the AR 15s have cable locks through the ejection port/mag well.

With rights come responsibilities.

Then every homeowner must keep all prescription medications locked in a safe as well...since those are the target of burglars too, and kill hundreds of thousands of Americans each year....you dumb ass.......they steal opioids and sell them, and they kill people.....you idiot...

Until you need the gun
Wrong.

I keep a handgun unsecured when I’m home.

When I leave home it’s either secured or comes with me.

This isn’t difficult to understand – one can be both a responsible gunowner and maintain personal security.
You do realize that if you lock your doors and windows when you leave that the gun in your home is secured don't you

First comes the mandatory safe storage laws....then, the mandatory home inspections to make sure you are obeying those laws.......

Simple solution...if a criminal breaks in and steals your guns....they get an automatic life sentence no parole...

That is how you stop it....they don't care about the actual theft, they want a way to punish gun owners. And a way to make it even more expensive and problematic to own a gun........especially for poor and minorities.....racism is also at the core of these gun control measures.

These kids were raised in bad conditions......but you want to blame guns......600 million guns in private hands, over 19.4 million Americans can carry guns for self defense in public

1.1 million Americans use guns each year to save lives from rape, brutal beatings, robberies and murder...

But two kids raised in horrible situations, the girl apparently had issues and set fires and the boy was in foster care.........but you want to blame guns...

This is why we don't take you seriously.
Did you read the article? These kids weren't armed until they broke into a house that had dozens of unsecured firearms, and readily available ammunition.

The firearms were locked up. The home was locked. Are you suggesting there is an obligation to lock firearms away from burglars?
Well would you not care that the burglar's had your AK-47 along with your hand guns walking right out of the front door because you didn't have the sense to secure your weapons or house with minimum levels of security that would be appropriate to ensure that hopefully that wouldn't happen ???? Be truthful now.

These kids were raised in bad conditions......but you want to blame guns......600 million guns in private hands, over 19.4 million Americans can carry guns for self defense in public

1.1 million Americans use guns each year to save lives from rape, brutal beatings, robberies and murder...

But two kids raised in horrible situations, the girl apparently had issues and set fires and the boy was in foster care.........but you want to blame guns...

Did you read the article? These kids weren't armed until they broke into a house that had dozens of unsecured firearms, and readily available ammunition.

The firearms were locked up. The home was locked. Are you suggesting there is an obligation to lock firearms away from burglars?
If the premises aren't secure, I'd say definitely lock them up, and even if the premises are secure, then there's nothing wrong with extra levels of security, especially for weapons and ammo.
A loaded gun should always be kept on the nightstand by the bed.

As soon as we start making our homes safe for those who break in we deserve to be destroyed as a people.
Agree, but when you leave there, then it's best that your home and weapons are secured.

If the premises aren't secure, I'd say definitely lock them up, and even if the premises are secure, then there's nothing wrong with extra levels of security, especially for weapons and ammo.
A loaded gun should always be kept on the nightstand by the bed.

As soon as we start making our homes safe for those who break in we deserve to be destroyed as a people.
Your last statement makes no sense, because we should definitely make our homes more secure against break in's. If you are home, then you are that security, but if not then........... I actually can't believe we're having this conversation in some sort of disagreement on.

How did the 12 year old, and the 14 year old get their hands on the weapons and ammo if they were secure or locked up ??

How did the 12 year old, and the 14 year old get their hands on the weapons and ammo if they were secure or locked up ??

They broke into the home.......a home that was locked and secured.

Gun owners are amazingly responsible but when criminals break the law, break into homes, it isn't the fault of the home owner.......
This is why even the NRA agrees with guns having trigger locks, being kept in gun safes, and keeping the guns completely separate from the ammunition.

None of that was done.

Until you need the gun....you mean except for that...right? When the guy is in your home and you don't have 10 minutes to get to the safe, punch in the code, take out the gun, find the key to the trigger lock, unlock the lock, then go to where you keep the ammo, and, I imagine you want that in a separate safe too.........then load the gun....

The guy, or guys are in your home, likely armed.....but the 30 steps you need to deploy your weapon....I am sure they will wait till you get all the steps done...

Right?

These guns were in a locked house....they broke the law.....

If we let idiots like you set up mandatory storage rules then we will have to eventually store the keys to the gun locks at a police station or gun store and get written permission to access those keys before we can unlock the guns...

Sorry, no thanks.

They broke into a home......this is on them.
To start with, you are carrying your concealed weapon while you are away from the home, so if you return home and it's being robbed, then 1st you contact the law, and you get them on the way while you secure the perimeter. If you surprise the criminal's because you walked in on them, then hopefully you get the drop on them before they get you with your own guns left in an unsafe manor. But if you have your weapons secured, then you have the upper hand if they didn't bring the weapons with them. If you have your home secured, then you have the upper hand again, because hopefully their weaponry won't be as good as what you are carrying on your person. If they get the drop on you, then the the only hope is that the 9-11 call you might have made in the first senario (if you couldn't wait on them before going in) will have the police on the way in order to secure the location again, hopefully save you, and deal with the burglar's before they escape. The second situation is just going to be you and them if they get surprised.

I agree.....

But I will never support government mandates on storing your guns in your own home....that leads to draconian rules meant to entrap normal gun owners....not going to support it.

And I had a situation where we came home and the door was open.........we left the door open accidentally as it turned out....I didn't enter, I called the police....they searched the house...I didn't "secure the perimeter," I let them do it...that is how you do it...I also informed them that I had guns in the home........
Guns were secure, good work.

Gun owners are amazingly responsible but when criminals break the law, break into homes, it isn't the fault of the home owner.......
This is why even the NRA agrees with guns having trigger locks, being kept in gun safes, and keeping the guns completely separate from the ammunition.

None of that was done.

Until you need the gun....you mean except for that...right? When the guy is in your home and you don't have 10 minutes to get to the safe, punch in the code, take out the gun, find the key to the trigger lock, unlock the lock, then go to where you keep the ammo, and, I imagine you want that in a separate safe too.........then load the gun....

The guy, or guys are in your home, likely armed.....but the 30 steps you need to deploy your weapon....I am sure they will wait till you get all the steps done...

Right?

If we let idiots like you set up mandatory storage rules then we will have to eventually store the keys to the gun locks at a police station or gun store and get written permission to access those keys before we can unlock the guns...

Sorry, no thanks.

To start with, you are carrying your concealed weapon while you are away from the home, so if you return home and it's being robbed, then 1st you contact the law, and you get them on the way while you secure the perimeter. If you surprise the criminal's because you walked in on them, then hopefully you get the drop on them before they get you with your own guns left in an unsafe manor. But if you have your weapons secured, then you have the upper hand if they didn't bring the weapons with them. If you have your home secured, then you have the upper hand again, because hopefully their weaponry won't be as good as what you are carrying on your person. If they get the drop on you, then the the only hope is that the 9-11 call you might have made in the first senario (if you couldn't wait on them before going in) will have the police on the way in order to secure the location again, hopefully save you, and deal with the burglar's before they escape. The second situation is just going to be you and them if they get surprised.

I agree.....

But I will never support government mandates on storing your guns in your own home....that leads to draconian rules meant to entrap normal gun owners....not going to support it.

And I had a situation where we came home and the door was open.........we left the door open accidentally as it turned out....I didn't enter, I called the police....they searched the house...I didn't "secure the perimeter," I let them do it...that is how you do it...I also informed them that I had guns in the home........

Yep....then the criminals broke in and stole them.

What you don't understand is there is no security level that will be acceptable to the anti-gun extremists.......and they want all locks and safes to be mandatory.....barring a lot of people from owning or carrying guns.......and then will come the home inspections to make sure you are following every single "i" and "t" they want you to dot and cross......

Life sentence if you steal guns.....that is how you stop this........but you want to help them make it impossible for normal people to own and carry guns......you think this is a ratinal, legitimate demand....it is not......they want mandatory locks and safes not for safety, but as an impediment to own and carry guns especially for the poor and minorities....it is also racist at its core...

Happens all the time, but guns and ammo don't need to be part of the haul when they leave the place. Hopefully you will be back in time before they can drill, blast or attempt to enter the safe. If leaving for any length of time, always have a friend check on the place daily until you get back or talk with your local police about keeping a check on the place. Install camera's (they are cheap enough these days), and they will alert you if anyone comes on the property straight to your smart phone. It's a big responsibility owning weapons, and we must do all we can to be responsible owners of anything we have these days.

None of that was done.

Right?

Sorry, no thanks.

I agree.....

Yep....then the criminals broke in and stole them.

What you don't understand is there is no security level that will be acceptable to the anti-gun extremists.......and they want all locks and safes to be mandatory.....barring a lot of people from owning or carrying guns.......and then will come the home inspections to make sure you are following every single "i" and "t" they want you to dot and cross......

Life sentence if you steal guns.....that is how you stop this........but you want to help them make it impossible for normal people to own and carry guns......you think this is a ratinal, legitimate demand....it is not......they want mandatory locks and safes not for safety, but as an impediment to own and carry guns especially for the poor and minorities....it is also racist at its core...
I understand your fears of government, because I see it also big time these days, but if these things aren't addressed properly by we the citizen's, then the government that you fear will become a reality, because it's going to use or exploit everything to it's advantage, so if you leave the door open (metaphorically speaking), then the government is going to exploit that open doorway whether you and I like it or not. Most citizen's lock and secure their weapons, so I really don't think that we have an issue on our hands because of this case.

Happens all the time, but guns and ammo don't need to be part of the haul when they leave the place. Hopefully you will be back in time before they can drill, blast or attempt to enter the safe. If leaving for any length of time, always have a friend check on the place daily until you get back or talk with your local police about keeping a check on the place. Install camera's (they are cheap enough these days), and they will alert you if anyone comes on the property straight to your smart phone. It's a big responsibility owning weapons, and we must do all we can to be responsible owners of anything we have these days.

I agree......but mandatory storage laws are a non-starter..........in Britain, they have mandatory storage laws.....and mandatory home inspections.....

Forum List

Back