Lamb

Muhammed

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2010
North Coast, USA
I've never really cooked lamb. I'm more of a beef, chicken, and pork guy.

Has anyone here had any good recipes for lamb? Or tried and internet recipies? Or tips and tricks for cooking lamb?

Any personal experiences would be appreciated.

Has anyone here had any good recipes for lamb? Or tried and internet recipies? Or tips and tricks for cooking lamb?

It's actually very good. Cook it fast and under high heat and be sure and keep it rare.
It also goes good with a little fresh rosemary.

It's actually very good. Cook it fast and under high heat and be sure and keep it rare.
Do you mean putting rosemary in a rub?

Im not good at cooking Lamb but Ive had it quite a bit. The best Lamb I ever had was from Iceland. I had a friend come out to visit me from Reykjavik and she actually smuggled a leg of lamb on the plane and baked it here. She made it in some sort of mushroom gravy in the baking pan then topped it of with this sweet and sour type of rhubarb sauce when it was done. Out of this world. It didnt even taste like lamb, and you didnt even need a knife, it was tender enough to eat with a fork. She told me the real secret is the Lambs in Iceland roam free eating certain plants and seaweed along the beaches that make them taste very good, and i guess more tender. if you can ever get your mitts on Iceland lamb I would recommend it.

Do you mean putting rosemary in a rub?

My favorite way to do lamb is to sear a chop in clarified truffle butter with a sprig of rosemary while spooning it over the cut of lamb as it cooks.
But you have to be very aware of the temp or it will become an overcooked piece of leather.
I pull lamb at 115 to 120.

Here is one I found on the internet but modified a tad.

1 pound ground lamb

2 leeks (very light green part only) They must be cut in half lengthwise to make sure they are clean and and then thinly sliced

3 finely chopped cloves of garlic

1 can beef broth

3-4 medium russet potatoes sliced ¼ inch thick with skins on

½ green pepper, chopped

1/4 tsp black pepper.

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp dried dill weed or 1 tbls chopped fresh dill weed

1 bay leaf

2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped (should yield about a cupful) -------------------------------------------------------------------

Saute the ground lamb, leeks and garlic until lamb is browned, then drain off fat.

Add the beef broth, potatoes green pepper and spices (salt, black pepper, dill weed and bay leaf). Cook until the potatoes are tender. REMOVE BAY LEAF.

Add the tomatoes and cook for 1 more minute.

Done.

I like to serve this dish with roasted carrots on the side. My wife and I really like this one. I hope your family enjoys it as well.

Last edited:

I guess I should have asked....
Are you looking for the lamp steak experience or the casserole experience?

I guess I should have asked....
Are you looking for the lamp steak experience or the casserole experience?
I don't know yet. I'm just trying to expand my cooking horizons, so...both, I guess.

Kibbeh Nayyeh but if you don't know your meat and butcher some might prefer not to eat it raw

stuffed like a meatball with pine seeds inside is also great

I wish I liked lamb, but I just can't hack it. has a punky flavor to me.
I'd like to try it once where is tasted good to me.

It's the Icelandic Lamb, I'm telling ya. With mushroom sauce and rhubarb. problem is you have to travel there to get it.

It's the Icelandic Lamb, I'm telling ya. With mushroom sauce and rhubarb. problem is you have to travel there to get it.

When are we going??

When are we going??

When do you want to go ? I am going this year sometime however

How's the weather there?

Well, I have a friend there right now who is saying they are having the warmest winter ever. No frost and not much snow this year. Of course it could change any moment. their winters from what I understand are usually brutal

When are we going??

How's the weather there?

Well, I have a friend there right now who is saying they are having the warmest winter ever. No frost and not much snow this year. Of course it could change any moment. their winters from what I understand are usually brutal

I want warm. Does it get warm?

When are we going??

How's the weather there?

I want warm. Does it get warm?

From what I understand, it has never been 80 degrees there before. The locals consider 70 to be sun bathing weather.

LOL Wow that seems amazing. I know pics I have seen the place looks awesome.......but cold.

Forum List

Back