Should we take cell phones out of school? Is it even possible anymore?

This can't be right. I thought teachers were indoctrinating our children?

Can't they just utter a sleeper cell code and make them put the cell phones away?

It is a sign of the times with technology.
Even the apps that help the student to get information and even use the apps for cheating is all readily available.

At our local high school students have the option of all their books being digital and viewing them on their tablet/laptop. So both of those are now present in every classroom and there is no putting the toothpaste back in the tub
Right, and I encourage students to look things up instead of asking me. I had (and this was weird, but it happened more than once) a student who insisted that he writes essays on his phone -- not even a laptop. He took notes on his phone and like that. Convergence has made the phone and associated technology very helpful in class. So we take the good, we take the bad.

Cell phones are not "necessary" for safety. People existed long before that technological blight ever came upon us.
Right. A parent could still always call the school itself and ask to talk to their kid if it’s something sooooo important it can’t wait

Funny how in 12 years of schooling there was never once something so important that my mom had to call the school to speak to me….

So where does each poster stand on using 'laptops' in the classroom.
Forgetting 'cell phones' for a moment, just the use of laptops in the classroom.

Science
Math
Language Arts
SS

Forgetting 'cell phones' for a moment, just the use of laptops in the classroom.

Science
Math
Language Arts
SS
Isn’t that a thing already?

Haven’t been in a school in a long time, but I assumed most kids take notes and stuff on laptops already

Science
Math
Language Arts
SS
I let my students use whatever they want unless I have a specific reason to exclude.

Haven’t been in a school in a long time, but I assumed most kids take notes and stuff on laptops already
They, Laptops, are in the school.
Supplied by the school. The laptop stays in the classroom.

I just wanted to see if posters support or oppose the use of laptops in the classroom.

I oppose the "Use" of a cell phone in class, simply because they have a laptop.
A child might try to say or ask "Why can't I just do it on my phone"
Simple answer, "because you have a laptop",
and filters can control what they can and cannot do on the laptop.

Cell phones are allowed in my school, but they must remain in their backpack.
Sadly, we have to watch carefully for students trying to sneak use of their phone.
If they get caught, the phone gets sent to the office, and the student can get it at the end of the day (1st offense).

Pure speculation but those school in wealthy districts and even private schools that can afford to have advanced technology are going to have it in as many classrooms they can use.
Are the scores higher in testing for students that use technology than those than do not?
Another pertinent question would be what higher thinking or independent skills are they using?
Do the students rely on the technology to think for them?

Science
Math
Language Arts
SS

If a school district cannot afford computers or laptops is this fair?
They, Laptops, are in the school.
Supplied by the school. The laptop stays in the classroom.

I just wanted to see if posters support or oppose the use of laptops in the classroom.

I oppose the "Use" of a cell phone in class, simply because they have a laptop.
A child might try to say or ask "Why can't I just do it on my phone"
Simple answer, "because you have a laptop",
and filters can control what they can and cannot do on the laptop.

Cell phones are allowed in my school, but they must remain in their backpack.
Sadly, we have to watch carefully for students trying to sneak use of their phone.
If they get caught, the phone gets sent to the office, and the student can get it at the end of the day (1st offense).

Right, and I encourage students to look things up instead of asking me. I had (and this was weird, but it happened more than once) a student who insisted that he writes essays on his phone -- not even a laptop. He took notes on his phone and like that. Convergence has made the phone and associated technology very helpful in class. So we take the good, we take the bad.

Not "very helpful," very distracting, very disruptive, very negative.

Yes, laptops are a "thing," and have been for some time now.

If a school district cannot afford computers or laptops is this fair?

A lot of districts got grants for such things during COVID. For providing and extending internet access as well. Laptops can, if used correctly, be a useful tool in class and for submitting homework and projects, etc.

Do you want to come visit my classes? You can decide something is suspicious if you want, especially in the lack of any supporting detail. But the proof is in the pudding.
I would like to visit, because I have been in hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of classrooms and I have seen the effect of just having cell phones around and what you are saying sure sounds like a big fat load of bullshit to me.

I would like to visit, because I have been in hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of classrooms and I have seen the effect of just having cell phones around and what you are saying sure sounds like a big fat load of bullshit to me.
Great. I have almost 30 years in the classroom but feel free to have an opinion about what I live each day.

Forum List

Back