Leg of lamb

koshergrl

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2011
I love lamb but have never cooked it long and low before...this was amazing.
The lamb was on sale about a month ago for $0.99/lb. $55 was marked down to $5. Fresh, never frozen.
So I bought three. That's how frugal cooks do.
I brined it in pink salt and water for 24 hours. I can't find my kosher salt because my spice cabinets are a horror show and I become physically and mentally exhausted trying to find shit. Himalayan salt seemed the next best thing.
So that lamb went into a big roaster with salt and out into the garage because my fridge isn't big enough, and we are feral and don't have an industrial ice machine.
At 5:30 am on Christmas I dumped the water and rinsed out the pan with the roast in it..so the meat got a little rinsed too.
I made deep "x"es with a small steak knife all over, both sides. Stuffed the cuts with garlic and rosemary from my disreputable bush on the back porch. I cut onions into halves and put the meat, fat side down, on the halves which were positioned cut side down.

I dumped about 4-6 cups of water in, some peppercorns, a big bunch of rosemary, a tablespoon of chicken bouillon.
I should have put in peppercorns and allspice but again, couldn't find. A bay leaf would have been nice but no. Also couldn't find cinnamon sticks which I know I have...but have lots of ground cinnamon because I buy it in the industrial size and if it migrates out of sight I just buy more and put it in front. I added a plug of lemon and threw a lot of smoked paprika on top.
Anyway about 6 hours at 315, covered. Then I pulled it out, realized the top was a little dry and slathered most of a stick of butter over it and piled the onions on top, turned the heat down to 250 and left it another hour.
The pics don't do it justice. It literally fell off the bone. No evidence of fat on the meat, it's all in the broth. I carved it up and it literally eats like butter.
I strained the stock, it is amazing. I'm going to use it for French onion soup tonight. It's chilling, I will skim off the fat..which I will save and feed to my dogs. Or maybe use as a facial cream.
I cannot begin to describe how amazing my house smelled while this was cooking.
My pics are substandard but I took them on the go.
Amazing stuff. I have two more of these in the freezer!
The stock is crazy delish. I was going to reduce it and make a glaze but I didn't have time..so I am going to use it for FRENCH ONION soup. Yup.

Attachments

• 20231225_064739.jpg
    20231225_064739.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 3
  • 20231225_115915.jpg
    20231225_115915.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20231225_171452.jpg
    20231225_171452.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Yanno, my cousin TJ is an excellent cook. I think I'll show her this and see what she thinks, she might even cook it.

Pics are good by the way. Looks like you had an excellent meal.

See? We don't always have to fight KosherGirl.

I love lamb but have never cooked it long and low before...this was amazing.
The lamb was on sale about a month ago for $0.99/lb. $55 was marked down to $5. Fresh, never frozen.
So I bought three. That's how frugal cooks do.
I brined it in pink salt and water for 24 hours. I can't find my kosher salt because my spice cabinets are a horror show and I become physically and mentally exhausted trying to find shit. Himalayan salt seemed the next best thing.
So that lamb went into a big roaster with salt and out into the garage because my fridge isn't big enough, and we are feral and don't have an industrial ice machine.
At 5:30 am on Christmas I dumped the water and rinsed out the pan with the roast in it..so the meat got a little rinsed too.
I made deep "x"es with a small steak knife all over, both sides. Stuffed the cuts with garlic and rosemary from my disreputable bush on the back porch. I cut onions into halves and put the meat, fat side down, on the halves which were positioned cut side down.

I dumped about 4-6 cups of water in, some peppercorns, a big bunch of rosemary, a tablespoon of chicken bouillon.
I should have put in peppercorns and allspice but again, couldn't find. A bay leaf would have been nice but no. Also couldn't find cinnamon sticks which I know I have...but have lots of ground cinnamon because I buy it in the industrial size and if it migrates out of sight I just buy more and put it in front. I added a plug of lemon and threw a lot of smoked paprika on top.
Anyway about 6 hours at 315, covered. Then I pulled it out, realized the top was a little dry and slathered most of a stick of butter over it and piled the onions on top, turned the heat down to 250 and left it another hour.
The pics don't do it justice. It literally fell off the bone. No evidence of fat on the meat, it's all in the broth. I carved it up and it literally eats like butter.
I strained the stock, it is amazing. I'm going to use it for French onion soup tonight. It's chilling, I will skim off the fat..which I will save and feed to my dogs. Or maybe use as a facial cream.
I cannot begin to describe how amazing my house smelled while this was cooking.
My pics are substandard but I took them on the go.
Amazing stuff. I have two more of these in the freezer!
The stock is crazy delish. I was going to reduce it and make a glaze but I didn't have time..so I am going to use it for FRENCH ONION soup. Yup.

My recipe is similar, but from Charleston. I baste it low and slow in equal parts strong coffee, red wine and creme fraish. People who don't eat Lamb ask for more.

My mom always scored it then put garlic in the score marks, zillions of mint leaves all over then into the oven. It was always good.
I considered mint, I have a killer mint. Literally, I made tea out of it once and sustained like a 1st degree chemical burn to mouth and esophagus. I decided to forego the mint this time.
But I'm doing it next time. Also cilantro. But AFTER cooking. And when I do that I'm also going to serve naan or some form of flat bread with it.

My recipe is similar, but from Charleston. I baste it low and slow in equal parts strong coffee, red wine and creme fraish. People who don't eat Lamb ask for more.
I wanted to use red wine but alas, failed to purchase any. My non lamb son liked it this time.

I wanted to use red wine but alas, failed to purchase any. My non lamb son liked it this time.

My family eats lamb now with the red wine, coffee and creme fraish. Like you I plug it with garlic. I turn up the heat to 500 for 20 minutes before turning it down to 300. Puts a pretty sear on the outside.

My family eats lamb now with the red wine, coffee and creme fraish. Like you I plug it with garlic. I turn up the heat to 500 for 20 minutes before turning it down to 300. Puts a pretty sear on the outside.
I usually cook it pretty rare.. and I love it, but I've never really roasted lamb. I don't know why, I roast or braise every other red meat. It's like a spiritual awakening. I feel that lamb meat is in my blood.
It has to be genetic.

Forum List

Back