Cooking for a crowd

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
I need to make dinner for about 20 kids. It needs to be cheap, portable and make ahead. I have spent half of my afternoon looking at recipes. I found a couple but what do you folks do when cooking for a crowd?

Depends on the weather, but crowd I prepare BBQ thighs and wings. In winter I make empanadas and/or omelets.

How old?

Teens. I am not going to have time to set up a grill. I am going to have to run back to the house heat stuff and run to the place.

I need to make dinner for about 20 kids. It needs to be cheap, portable and make ahead. I have spent half of my afternoon looking at recipes. I found a couple but what do you folks do when cooking for a crowd?

Why not make pasta, Penne, Farfalle whatever with a tomato, onion, garlic etc sauce.

That fulfils your needs of cheap, portable and make ahead and it can be eaten hot or cold or heated up in a few minutes.

Teens. I am not going to have time to set up a grill. I am going to have to run back to the house heat stuff and run to the place.
Get a 6 foot hero and slice it up...good and easy.

Have Mexican food set up and let them make their own....good and messy.

My record is 150 guests.

Chili is easy. You may want to start by frying the ground steak. Ground steak always makes chili taste good. Then add the vegies and stir fry them. Then the beans and other spices.

Spaghetti and meatballs are easy too.

Sloppy Joe's are usually a super hit and easy to make. But have some potato salad too as a side dish with it, and coleslaw.

Pizza works great too and bakes fast at 550 degrees F. You can easily get these ready in advance and then just throw them into the oven. It is even easier to get catering for this -- 4 or 5 large pizza's will feed 20 kids.

Chili would be the easiest then. You can make it in advance and warm it up.

Watch out for the kiddie farts though, which will come about 1 hour later.

Beans, beans are good for the heart;
The more you eat, the more you fart;
The more you fart, the better you feel;
So lets have beans for every meal !!

Depends on the weather, but crowd I prepare BBQ thighs and wings. In winter I make empanadas and/or omelets.

How old?
Grilling meat is usually done in the summer not in the middle of winter.

Stuft potatoe skins w/ bacon makes a great appetizer

Make a salad with something crunchy in it. ( no frog legs)

You can make tacos also, but dont stuff them until they're ready to eat, so they dont get soggy.

How old?
the grill is never shut down for me....

I have a George Foreman grill. You plug it in. I could do something on the grill but it would take a bit and then I would have to break it down and bring it back. I can use it on the inside.

My record is 150 guests.

Chili is easy. You may want to start by frying the ground steak. Ground steak always makes chili taste good. Then add the vegies and stir fry them. Then the beans and other spices.

Spaghetti and meatballs are easy too.

Sloppy Joe's are usually a super hit and easy to make. But have some potato salad too as a side dish with it, and coleslaw.

Pizza works great too and bakes fast at 550 degrees F. You can easily get these ready in advance and then just throw them into the oven. It is even easier to get catering for this -- 4 or 5 large pizza's will feed 20 kids.

150? Not me. Nooo.

Make a salad with something crunchy in it. ( no frog legs)

That I think I am going to do. I have a 7 layer salad with a dressing that will solve the problem of having to buy five bottles of dressings.

How old?

I have a George Foreman grill. You plug it in. I could do something on the grill but it would take a bit and then I would have to break it down and bring it back. I can use it on the inside.
if there are more than 10 teens there I would just get a long sandwich and salads. save the work and grief

How old?

if there are more than 10 teens there I would just get a long sandwich and salads. save the work and grief

That may be the ticket. All of the parents had to sign up for the next several months. I took 3 evenings and I tried to pick days where I could make stuff the day before because of my hours.

How old?

That may be the ticket. All of the parents had to sign up for the next several months. I took 3 evenings and I tried to pick days where I could make stuff the day before because of my hours.
good idea...make nice memories instead of resentments. that can be a thankless task

Forum List

Back