Jimi Hendrix - perhaps the greatest tragedy of Rock n Roll

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
When I think of Hendrix, I always thing of what might have been.
Afterall he only recorded 38 songs in a studio on two albums and one double album.
His influence is far-far reaching and still inspires performers to this day.

I ran across this home video of him several years back, here he is at a small party just toying around with an acoustic guitar... and listen to what this man can do just playing around.

When I think of Hendrix, I always thing of what might have been.
Afterall he only recorded 38 songs in a studio on two albums and one double album.

True. One of the greatest. I have original pressings of Are You Experienced, Axis Bold As Love and three copies of Electric Ladyland including one copy still sealed. Cry of Love was a pretty good album as well. I actually thought Hendrix hit his peak with Band of Gypsies and that is a phenomenal album both music wise and Hendrix's best recorded album as well.

I had to laugh, a girlfriend of my mother bought me my first copy of Ladyland as a Christmas gift in the 1970s (she asked me what I wanted) and one day she was over visiting while I was in my room playing the album. When I came out, she said that was horrible music, what was it, and I told her: "That's the album you bought me!" to which she replied she was sorry she bought it for me, or had she known, she never would have bought it (she was an old woman). I guess she thought it corrupted me. :71:

Jimi will forever be known for his ability to play his guitar behind his head and with his teeth.

My absolute favorite Hendrix tune:

True. One of the greatest. I have original pressings of Are You Experienced, Axis Bold As Love and three copies of Electric Ladyland including one copy still sealed. Cry of Love was a pretty good album as well. I actually thought Hendrix hit his peak with Band of Gypsies and that is a phenomenal album both music wise and Hendrix's best recorded album as well.

I had to laugh, a girlfriend of my mother bought me my first copy of Ladyland as a Christmas gift in the 1970s (she asked me what I wanted) and one day she was over visiting while I was in my room playing the album. When I came out, she said that was horrible music, what was it, and I told her: "That's the album you bought me!" to which she replied she was sorry she bought it for me, or had she known, she never would have bought it (she was an old woman). I guess she thought it corrupted me. :71:

Jimi will forever be known for his ability to play his guitar behind his head and with his teeth.

My absolute favorite Hendrix tune:

The man was on a different level to most at the time.

When i was a teenager i got into American Blues, i heard a John Lee Hooker record and thought WOW! so i was into it other artists like Muddy Waters Robert Johnson etc, also i was into British rhythm and blues, many influenced by the American blues guys, some of my friends at the time were listening to bland pop music, they just didn't get it LOL!

1983…(A Merman I Should Turn To Be)

Hooray, I awake from yesterday
Alive but the war is here to stay
So my love, Katherina and me
Decide to take our last walk
Through the noise to the sea
Not to die but to be reborn
Away from a life so battered and torn

Forever, forever
Oh, say can you see, it's really such a mess
Every inch of earth is a fighting nest
Giant pencil and lipstick tube-shaped things
Continue to rain and cause screaming pain
And the Arctic stains
From silver blue to bloody red
As our feet find the sand and the sea

Is straight ahead, straight up ahead
Well, it's too bad, that our friends can't be with us today
Well, that's too bad
"The machine that we built would never save us"
That's what they say
(That's why they ain't coming with us today)
And they also said
"It's impossible for man to live and breathe underwater forever"
Was their main complaint
(Yeah)
And they also threw this in my face, they said:
"Anyway, you know good and well
It would be beyond the will of God
And the grace of the King"
Grace of the King, yeah, yeah

So my darling and I make love in the sand
To salute the last moment ever on dry land
Our machine has done its work, played its part well
Without a scratch on our bodies and we bid it farewell
Starfish and giant foams greet us with a smile
Before our heads go under, we take a last look
At the killing noise of the out of style
The out of style, out of style

So down and down and down and down
And down and down we go
Hurry, my darling, we mustn't be late for the show
Neptune champion games to an aqua world is so very dear
Right this way, smiles a mermaid
I can hear Atlantis full of cheer
Atlantis full of cheer
I can hear Atlantis full of cheer​

Last edited:
I love his Red House, instead of being the usual sappy "she don't love me anymore, my life is over"... Hendrix changed that to "if my baby don't love me anymore... I know her sister will".
Sooo much more accurate in young love.

Hendrix died of a drug overdose.

Hendrix checked out. He told everyone he would in the lyrics above. He laid it all out metaphorically. On the day he died, he checked into a hotel with his girl and they sat up all night talking, then around 7AM to took a massive dose of sleeping pills and left for the other world. When his girl woke up at 11AM, Jimi was gone. They took him to the hospital and tried to save him but Jimi checked out.

He says it all in the lyrics above if you read between the lines: he came into this world and could not deal with the stage man is in, animalistic, warring, savage; he saw what people and the world were like when he was drafted into combat. He did his thing, left his legacy and message in his music, then checked out to the next life. This world was not conducive to a sensitive soul as his. Jimi will be back maybe in a few centuries to give mankind a try again.

Hendrix died of a drug overdose.
Not true.
Although that is what is on his death certificate, investigations later revealed a shroud of mystery.
1) He did not die of an overdose, he died of asphyxiation on his own vomit, primarily red wine, although his blood alcohol was barely measurable.
2) His doctor prescribed him mild sleeping pills, after still unable to sleep for 3 days his doctor told him to triple the dose. (verified)
3) When he was at the hotel with Dannemann, Hendrix approached her at approximately 7:15am and said he had forgotten his sleeping pills, she told him she had some in a cabinet.
4) It is believed Jimi thought the pills were similar to his own, but they were not. It was Vesparax, a strong sedative that was much stronger than the pills he had. It is not known how many he took, but considering the levels of barbiturates he had in his blood stream (Vesparax IS a barbiturate) it is logical to assume he took at least 3 (remembering his doctor told him to triple his dosage)
5) - HERE IS THE MYSTERY..... his lungs were filled with red wind. Interviewed medical staff that arrived told police they were amazed as to the amount of wine in his lungs. Considering his blood alcohol levels were barely measurable - it is a logical conclusion that the wine was poured into his mouth posthumously, or immediately before death. Later changes to his death certificate list it today as asphyxiation.

There is a good chance he was murdered, or one of the people at the party for whatever reason decided to pour redwine into Hendrix mouth while he was passed out.

Forum List

Back