What Killed Rock-N-Roll?

I think there is a void waiting to be filled. We haven't had a great rock group with a killer lead vocalist for like what 30 years? There won't be until someone like an Elon Musk puts up the millions to back the next great rock group by himself.
Greta Van Fleet's vocalist is pretty damn good. Too bad he looks like Fredo Baggins.

Lovely Rita - not a fan, huh?

She's the one who put's those idiots "Heidi and Frank" on as well.
Poor Rita. She sure isn't a fan of me. My friend had his Sunday night "Blues Deluxe" show cancelled by Rita. He gave me her personal phone number and she went FN ballistic on me when I called her. "Who are YOU and how did YOU get this number?" LOL!

The "Impact" show with the blowhard Frank Sontag came on at midnight Sunday's after the Blues shows.
I called in more than once to his show. He used to talk smack about how people used to spend so much time playing sport and not realizing the issues surrounding everyday life.
About a year or so after all that nonsense, he talked incessantly about playing golf with his office boy and how he was some kind of spiritual Life Coach guru. Fn hypocrite.
He knew Rita was going to axe him also. She cut his airtime down to a few hours and I understand why. Now he's a full on grifting bible thumper in Ojai. So be it.

What killed Rock? Money was a big part of it. I saw Bachman Turner Overdrive in the 1970s for 8 dollars. Now you'll need at least 100 bucks to walk in the door unless you just want to see little dots from 400 to 500 feet away and have everyone with the light of their cell phones ruining the ambiance and talking over the performance.

The other issue is airplay on the radio, or reviews. Society has changed too, people want PC pablum unless it is rap, then it all has to meet the woke agenda. Rock was mostly done by White guys with a few very notable exceptions, and media and our culture is not interested in seeing white guys have success in anything today.
We won't see a resurgence in rock and roll music anytime soon, if ever again.

What killed Rock? Money was a big part of it. I saw Bachman Turner Overdrive in the 1970s for 8 dollars. Now you'll need at least 100 bucks to walk in the door unless you just want to see little dots from 400 to 500 feet away and have everyone with the light of their cell phones ruining the ambiance and talking over the performance.

The other issue is airplay on the radio, or reviews. Society has changed too, people want PC pablum unless it is rap, then it all has to meet the woke agenda. Rock was mostly done by White guys with a few very notable exceptions, and media and our culture is not interested in seeing white guys have success in anything today.
We won't see a resurgence in rock and roll music anytime soon, if ever again.

I saw Trans Siberian Orchestra a week ago. 15,000 people in a packed arena.

Rock is dead?

Could have fooled me...

I've been a fan of metal for a while now, but started with rock and roll. What "killed" it was rock and roll drifting into the metal scene and the pop scene. Today, modern "rock" artists like Machine Gun Kelly are pink haired faggotesque weirdos trying to be edgy. It doesn't work.
Gayist !

What killed R & R? People who have taste for shit, mainly Rap. Corporate FM radio is also partly to blame with rotating playlists of the same old same old repeated ad nauseum. When I replaced the battery in my truck I never even bothered to set the presets on FM. Why bother?

What Killed Rock-N-Roll?
This is a thread I have wanted to start for a long time. If your my age 58 and grew up listening to bands like Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, The Beatles, The Who etc... Than I know that the absence of Rock-N-Roll in your life today bothers you as much as it does me.

If you look this up online you will find a myriad of reasons as to what killed rock-n-roll, but I'm not going to go over all of these but will just touch on some of them.

Quoting Gene Simmons:
Simmons spoke about rock's supposed diminishing status during a new interview with Jonathan Clarke of New York's Q104.3 radio station. Asked if he meant his original "rock is dead" comment in terms of radio airplay or streaming numbers, Gene said: "In all ways. And the culprits are the young fans. You killed the thing that you love. Because as soon as streaming came in, you took away a chance for the new great bands who are there in the shadows, who can't quit their day job 'cause you can't make a dime putting your music out there, because when you download stuff, it's one-hundredth or one-thousandth of one penny. And so you've gotta have millions to millions, and even billions of downloads before you can make a few grand. And the fans have killed that thing. So the business is dead. And that means that the next BEATLES or the next whoever is never gonna get the chance that we did. We had record companies that gave us millions of dollars so we can make records and tour, and not worry about a nine-to-five [job]. Because when you're worried about nine-to-five, you don't have the time to sit there and devote to your art, whatever that is."

Quoting Bob Dylan:

From its fused inception, rock ‘n’ roll was already a racially integrated American invention being blasted in teenage bedrooms as early as 1955, but as the Civil Rights Movement was gaining momentum going into 1960, the genre was being commercially segregated, on the sly, into white (British Invasion) and black (soul) music by the (WASPy) establishment.

“Racial prejudice has been around awhile, so, yeah. And that was extremely threatening for the city fathers, I would think. When they finally recognized what it was, they had to dismantle it, which they did, starting with payola scandals. The black element was turned into soul music, and the white element was turned into English pop. They separated it […] Well, it was apart of my DNA, so it never disappeared from me. I just incorporated it into other aspects of what I was doing. I don’t know if this answers the question. [Laughs.] I can’t remember what the question was.”

The same article is also about payola paid to disc jockeys across the country to play certain songs from white artist.

From an article at spinditty.com

Why Isn't Rock Music Popular Anymore?​

These are samples of responses from a forum that asked the question of why rock music is in decline.

• "Music for youth is now about the packaging and the presentation—not the music."
  • "Today's 'stars' are nothing more than video-created characters that rely too much on flashing lights, backup dancers, video editing to make them look like they're actually singing, and much much more."
  • "It's all about making lots of money now."

The best reasons I have found for the demise of rock music can be found on this YouTube video from a guy name Rick Beato. Worth the watch.

So, what's your opinion on what killed rock-n-roll?

Nirvana and people rebelling against sophisticated things.

Teenage girls have always been the biggest buyers of music. It's why pop has always dominated and always sucked. That's the main thing but something else has happened. Young men seem to have just dropped out of having music preferences anymore. They seem satisfied with whatever crap is coming out of the radio.
Disagree!. It seems that young men like anything Screamo oriented. They even seem to like a lot of coverage of old Rockstar but done in that ridiculous screamo format. It's not just about screaming it's also this enunciation thing.... With extremely exaggerated accents under certain pronunciation for the syllables. It was something that a rose during the 90s and then they all started doing it.

Funny how you don't even see anyone playing instruments anymore. Sad!
Many singers didn't play instruments (offhand, Sinatra comes to mind, as does Elvis for the most part). It's not new.
The Beatles killed rock 'n roll.
Singing turned into screaming.
Sex and drugs replaced romance.
Music turned into noise.

Rock was only a part of the golden age of music for youth, which took place in the 1950's.
Pablum.

What Killed Rock-N-Roll?
This is a thread I have wanted to start for a long time. If your my age 58 and grew up listening to bands like Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, The Beatles, The Who etc... Than I know that the absence of Rock-N-Roll in your life today bothers you as much as it does me.

If you look this up online you will find a myriad of reasons as to what killed rock-n-roll, but I'm not going to go over all of these but will just touch on some of them.

Quoting Gene Simmons:
Simmons spoke about rock's supposed diminishing status during a new interview with Jonathan Clarke of New York's Q104.3 radio station. Asked if he meant his original "rock is dead" comment in terms of radio airplay or streaming numbers, Gene said: "In all ways. And the culprits are the young fans. You killed the thing that you love. Because as soon as streaming came in, you took away a chance for the new great bands who are there in the shadows, who can't quit their day job 'cause you can't make a dime putting your music out there, because when you download stuff, it's one-hundredth or one-thousandth of one penny. And so you've gotta have millions to millions, and even billions of downloads before you can make a few grand. And the fans have killed that thing. So the business is dead. And that means that the next BEATLES or the next whoever is never gonna get the chance that we did. We had record companies that gave us millions of dollars so we can make records and tour, and not worry about a nine-to-five [job]. Because when you're worried about nine-to-five, you don't have the time to sit there and devote to your art, whatever that is."

Quoting Bob Dylan:

From its fused inception, rock ‘n’ roll was already a racially integrated American invention being blasted in teenage bedrooms as early as 1955, but as the Civil Rights Movement was gaining momentum going into 1960, the genre was being commercially segregated, on the sly, into white (British Invasion) and black (soul) music by the (WASPy) establishment.

“Racial prejudice has been around awhile, so, yeah. And that was extremely threatening for the city fathers, I would think. When they finally recognized what it was, they had to dismantle it, which they did, starting with payola scandals. The black element was turned into soul music, and the white element was turned into English pop. They separated it […] Well, it was apart of my DNA, so it never disappeared from me. I just incorporated it into other aspects of what I was doing. I don’t know if this answers the question. [Laughs.] I can’t remember what the question was.”

The same article is also about payola paid to disc jockeys across the country to play certain songs from white artist.

These are samples of responses from a forum that asked the question of why rock music is in decline.

• "Music for youth is now about the packaging and the presentation—not the music."
  • "Today's 'stars' are nothing more than video-created characters that rely too much on flashing lights, backup dancers, video editing to make them look like they're actually singing, and much much more."

The best reasons I have found for the demise of rock music can be found on this YouTube video from a guy name Rick Beato. Worth the watch.

What killed Rock N Roll? Rock N Roll really killed itself. The Global music scene wanted music that was more reflective of people in the world. Dance music , Disco music is that more reflective music. Rock N Roll is about a lot of whites going to a rock concert standing up listening to a rock band.!? very non inclusive. With Disco everyone is a star on the dance floor. Very simple. This is what killed Rock music. Rock N Roll elitism killed it also.

What Killed Rock-N-Roll?

Quoting Gene Simmons:

Quoting Bob Dylan:

Haven't read the entire thread yet, but I believe that the music industry executives massacred the music industry. Most were never interested in true musicianship. They were interested in big money and lots of it. They ripped off many great bands and sold many-a lyricist's songs to other artists without any compensation going to the writer. They're greedy SOBs.

Forum List

Back