It’s Time to Unplug the Hype Over Electric Vehicles

There's no such thing as an electric vehicle.

There are coal powered vehicles, natural gas powered vehicles, and even some hydraulic turbine powered vehicles. Oil is a base commodity. One could argue that gasoline vehicles are oil powered or fossil fuel powered and I'd agree; it's the same thing. But electricity is never anything but a produced product from those other sources; it's not a source of its own.

The left is in love with coal powered cars.

A very big deal
Lead acid batteries were just not practical

Most owners will drive all day and recharge overnight. 250 miles is plenty. On a lengthy trip, you will have to find a fast recharge station and recharge while you are having lunch.
I can go 450 miles in my 1-ton truck and refill in 5 to 7 minutes.

If something went wrong and I ran out of gas because I went too far between fillups, I can carry gas back to my truck and be on the road in a few minutes. Try carrying a few hundred KW of electricity from a charging station to your coal-powered car.

As I said before. The grid won't have to change, as long as the load of charging EV's is mostly at night. If you've ever seen the graph of power usage throughout the day, and there's plenty of power available at night.

hourly_big.png

From 11 pm to 6 am there's plenty of excess capacity
The grid will have to change. Just because there's capacity now, after hours, doesn't mean that capacity can handle charging 300 million EV cars and trucks. And how many of those will be charged starting when drivers get home - you know, at 6:00 PM, coincident with the current peak?

Air conditioners don't all run at once. Many places don't use them. Weather differences across the nation cause variations in timing and loads. Dinner time, though, will be a universal charging time. Day shift ends for commercial vehicles - plug 'em in. Gathered for dinner at home - plug 'em in so they can be ready for night life or work tomorrow.

Yes, the grid will have to change. The grid needs very serious work to safely keep up what we use now.

Wrong. More EVs charging means more demand on circuits. This means circuits need to be beefed up to handle the increased demand. Unfortunately, funding from government grants for projects like this usually means updating only to barely getting by, which means it becomes obsolete as soon as a few more EVs are added.
What government grants for upgrading means is that upgrading costs 3 times what it might otherwise. Solar power in the US is an example. You can get a government subsidy so the price went up by the subsidy +. The consumer will never be the beneficiary of any such government handout. The service providers and industry groups will manipulate the prices to take it all and then some.

I don't imagine there are many people in 100 year old houses that haven't upgraded their electrical service. After all, in the 1920's there wasn't enough service to run an electric water heater, a toaster, and an electric hair dryer at the same time.

Anybody who still has a 100 year old service hasn't heard of air conditioning.
Most of those who have upgraded hadn't heard of EVs by the time they upgraded. Now they have to do it again or turn the AC off to charge their cars.

Why do electric vehicles trigger conservatives so much?

We just like to point out that EV's are still highly fringe. Only the rubes think they are poised to dominate the market....so it's largely related to injecting a measure of real into the discussion.

The media outlets try to paint this picture that an EV is like one out of every 3 cars on the road.....dOy.

So....particularly progressives are bamboozled about the reality ( as usual)

Lol....anybody viewing this thread can just go out and do the Skooks experiment on EV's....go out ANYWHERE in the US. Drive around for 20 minutes and count the # of EV's. Then count the # of conventional cars. It's the ultimate reality check for the EV unicorn chasers.

Only the nutters return from the Skooks experiment and say, "Holy shit....I saw hundreds of EV's!!"

No you didnt. You saw a handful!!!!!

:iyfyus.jpg:

I can go 450 miles in my 1-ton truck and refill in 5 to 7 minutes.

If something went wrong and I ran out of gas because I went too far between fillups, I can carry gas back to my truck and be on the road in a few minutes. Try carrying a few hundred KW of electricity from a charging station to your coal-powered car.

If you charge your EV overnight, most drivers will never have to stop for fuel
Your EV will warn you when your charge is low and provide directions to the nearest charging station
Drivers will adapt

The grid will have to change. Just because there's capacity now, after hours, doesn't mean that capacity can handle charging 300 million EV cars and trucks. And how many of those will be charged starting when drivers get home - you know, at 6:00 PM, coincident with the current peak?

Air conditioners don't all run at once. Many places don't use them. Weather differences across the nation cause variations in timing and loads. Dinner time, though, will be a universal charging time. Day shift ends for commercial vehicles - plug 'em in. Gathered for dinner at home - plug 'em in so they can be ready for night life or work tomorrow.

Yes, the grid will have to change. The grid needs very serious work to safely keep up what we use now.
You overestimate how much current an EV is drawing on slow charge.
Much less than your AC or electric dryer you are using during the day

If EVs were using that much current while charging, you would not have so many places offering free charging

:banghead:
Same difference
You are paying based on the miles you drive
No you are being taxed on the number of gallons of gasoline you buy.

I don't drive my lawn mower, my snow blower, my weed eaters, my chain saws, the outboards on my boat on public roads.

And tell me just how is the government going to tax an EV per mile driven?

And there's the heavier weight of EVs to consider as that extra weight will cause more wear and tear on roads and bridges so you'll probably be charged more per mile for an EV.

Its gonna happen but its still got a long road ahead.
Gas is still the most rational choice for everyone not living in a pavement jungle.

Every year when you register your EV, you will record your miles.
Easy Peasy
I only have to renew my registration every other year.

And how easy peasy will it be to have to write that mileage tax check every year?

What will the per mile charge be? If you drive 50K miles a year and that per mile tax is 10 cents per mile it will cost you 5 grand to renew your registration.

I only have to renew my registration every other year.

And how easy peasy will it be to have to write that mileage tax check every year?

What will the per mile charge be? If you drive 50K miles a year and that per mile tax is 10 cents per mile it will cost you 5 grand to renew your registration.
I imagine you could pay monthly or quarterly if you want.
Your car can tell you how much you owe
It will cost no more than you currently pay in gas taxes
If you are driving 50 thousand miles a year, you are already paying a lot in gas taxes

Forum List

Back