It’s Time to Unplug the Hype Over Electric Vehicles

So yeah, standard 240 outlets. Should someone with no idea how to install one have an electrician do it? Sure, but it's a pretty basic install.
Only if the home has enough supply. If it doesn't, it will require a new supply box, which will also likely require a new supply from the pole.
So yeah... a home with amps to spare - no issues. Easy peasy.
But a LOT of homes don't. You are looking at an easy $4000 - $6000 investment on top of the price of the car.

Standard power coming into the house is 2 wire 240 volts. They grab neutral from a waterpipe ground to get two 115 volt legs A and B.
240 just involves using both A and B 115v legs.

The argument was a simple one. Your electric car can plug into an outlet just the same as your electric dryer.

A Tesla charger will plug into a standard 240 outlet just like your dryer. Now that charger isn't going to charge your car 80% in 20 minutes like a fast charger but it most certainly will overnight in your garage.

Wait, garages aren't racist?
What about all the people who don't have a garage, how will they charge EV overnight?

Standard power coming into the house is 2 wire 240 volts. They grab neutral from a waterpipe ground to get two 115 volt legs A and B.
240 just involves using both A and B 115v legs.
I had a guy not familiar with Three phase 4 wire delta in industry wired up 110v outlets to the 240v , he blew up two computers , lol

3_phase_4_wire_delta_240.png

The argument was a simple one. Your electric car can plug into an outlet just the same as your electric dryer.
Yeah... no.
Pretty sure most people don't have one in a garage. If they even have a garage.
Not sure why you are intent on simplifying this.
For those who have money, yeah... no issues at all. Easy.
Many people don't. I would wager 80% of all EV charger installs require additional power supply installation.

Yeah... no.
Pretty sure most people don't have one in a garage. If they even have a garage.
Not sure why you are intent on simplifying this.
For those who have money, yeah... no issues at all. Easy.
Many people don't. I would wager 80% of all EV charger installs require additional power supply installation.

Which isn't even being argued. I can install one in my garage for less than $100. The argument is that it doesn't have to be some expensive undertaking.

If you live in a 100 year old home that has never been updated can it be? Sure but the argument is that charging an electric car isn't any different necessarily than running your dryer.

It's all hype....only the green fools are suckered.

Conventional vehicles going to dominate for a long, long time. Just in the past year, so many EV problems coming to light and hitting the public consciousness. People have enough stress in their lives to take a risk with an EV when they love their ICE vehicle....especially SUV and truck owners who have little to no interest in ghey little faggy electric cars :funnyface:

Furthermore, low- and middle-income Americans are facing significant electric rate increases for grid upgrades to accommodate EVs.
What's worse is that the grid changes to accommodate EVs usually involves installing circuits that are inadequate for any expansion or demand. The upgrades will end up getting ripped out and replaced in short order, so that more of the same can be installed.

Which isn't even being argued. I can install one in my garage for less than $100. The argument is that it doesn't have to be some expensive undertaking.

If you live in a 100 year old home that has never been updated can it be? Sure but the argument is that charging an electric car isn't any different necessarily than running your dryer.
The receptacle alone is $50 bucks not to mention the wire cost, who has 240 volts in their garage except for guys like me who used to have a Arc welder.

Not when you have 300 million EVs charging at night, like I said
No power grid has 300 million customers

What uses more power, air conditioning a house during the summer or charging your EV at night?

Wait, garages aren't racist?
What about all the people who don't have a garage, how will they charge EV overnight?

As I said, EV's aren't for everybody. Just like ICE vehicles aren't for everybody. If you have an apartment in Manhattan, where are you going to park your car.

An electric vehicle isn't for everybody. But even the gearheads will love EV's. I i'm still looking it up, but they may be the fastest street legal car for street racing (1/8th mile)

The Lamborghini Hurricane will take it in the 1/4 mile, but the 1/8th, the Tesla probably has them beat.
Right now, gearheads love the vroom, vroom
But they will come to love the silent acceleration of an EV

Reminds me of the late 70s when Japan started producing high end motorcycles. Traditionalists said Americans will never give up their Harleys
But they fell in love with the Crotch Rockets

What's worse is that the grid changes to accommodate EVs usually involves installing circuits that are inadequate for any expansion or demand. The upgrades will end up getting ripped out and replaced in short order, so that more of the same can be installed.
As I said before. The grid won't have to change, as long as the load of charging EV's is mostly at night. If you've ever seen the graph of power usage throughout the day, and there's plenty of power available at night.

hourly_big.png

From 11 pm to 6 am there's plenty of excess capacity

And there you go again.
100 year old home... that is absurd.
Many even 25 year old homes only have 100 amp service. Most 40 and 50 year old small homes only 50 amps.
You are over simplifying it.
Many-many people who have a modern, say less than 20 years old, with a garage and they can afford to have a good EV stations installed - will have no issues getting it done. Piece of cake. Hell a lot of homes with garages - just the garage will have it's own 100 amp service already.
But 37% of homes in the USA have no garage. And another 23% only one car, thus highly unlikely to have any power supply other than lighting and a few outlets. So that is 60% of homes definitely are not equipped. At minimum.
EV cars are inevitable. And should have actually been figured out a few decades ago. But it wasn't. And so homes continued to be built with 0% allocation for such a device.
Then you have millions of apartments with no garages. Who is going to pay to have millions of charging stations added for them?
EVs will happen. And should.
But it will be a major change for many people, and it will cost them a lot of money.

Reminds me of the late 70s when Japan started producing high end motorcycles. Traditionalists said Americans will never give up their Harleys
But they fell in love with the Crotch Rockets

Old joke: How can you tell what kind of motorcycle somebody rides.

Simple, if they're out riding it, it's an import. If they're on the side of the road fixing it, it's a Harley.

Forum List

Back