It’s Time to Unplug the Hype Over Electric Vehicles

I imagine you could pay monthly or quarterly if you want.
Your car can tell you how much you owe
It will cost no more than you currently pay in gas taxes
If you are driving 50 thousand miles a year, you are already paying a lot in gas taxes
So you'd have to report your mileage monthly or quarterly? Do you think the government is going to wait a full calendar year before getting mileage tax money?

And who is going to verify the miles you drive?

You just made registering your car more expensive on top of the tax because every car's odometer will have to be recorded by a DMV employee.

As usual people don;t like to think through all the consequences of stuff like this.

What's going to happen is that everyone's electric bill will go up because that's the easiest way for the government to get the revenue it will lose from the gas tax.

So you'd have to report your mileage monthly or quarterly? Do you think the government is going to wait a full calendar year before getting mileage tax money?

And who is going to verify the miles you drive?

You just made registering your car more expensive on top of the tax because every car's odometer will have to be recorded by a DMV employee.

As usual people don;t like to think through all the consequences of stuff like this.

What's going to happen is that everyone's electric bill will go up because that's the easiest way for the government to get the revenue it will lose from the gas tax.
You are making it more difficult than it is

Today, EV owners are using roads for free while a typical gas powered car pays around $1000 a year

Electric Cars can be programmed to tell you how much you owe. You could even have an app on your phone read the mileage and send in payment.

You are making it more difficult than it is

Today, EV owners are using roads for free while a typical gas powered car pays around $1000 a year

Electric Cars can be programmed to tell you how much you owe. You could even have an app on your phone read the mileage and send in payment.
The government won;t leave it up to the individual to pay his own mileage taxes because people will not pay them on time or at all.

The taxes will be collected by some business entity like all taxes are.

Employers have to withhold income and payroll taxes, stores collect sales taxes, etc.

The average state and federal gas taxes work out to about 53 cents a gallon. It's nearly impossible to figure out what that comes to per mile.

The average state and federal gas taxes work out to about 53 cents a gallon. It's nearly impossible to figure out what that comes to per mile.
Not too hard
If you drive 15,000 miles a year and get and average 20 mpg you are using about 750 gallons a year
At 53 cents a gallon tax you are paying around $400 a year in gas tax

Comes out to about 2.7 cents per mile

EVs can pay the same

Not too hard
If you drive 15,000 miles a year and get and average 20 mpg you are using about 750 gallons a year

The variability in gas mileage between vehicles and that are caused by different driving habits don't average out that well.

The variability in gas mileage between vehicles and that are caused by different driving habits don't average out that well.
You are making it much more difficult than it is

2.7 cents a mile
If you own an EV, pay it

The EV infrastructure will get there
I hardly give a second look when I see EV parking spaces now

Homes will be upgraded over time. Much like central air. In ten years, not having EV charging capabilities will make it harder to sell a home.
Incorrect, the battery is the Achilles heal. As technology keeps on advancing, the Lithium Ion battery will be replaced by future Graphene supercapacitors. At the moment, they can't replace the battery, but they will in the future.

Not too hard

Comes out to about 2.7 cents per mile

EVs can pay the same
The savings EV owners enjoy by lower refuelling costs, are wiped out due the cost difference in buying one. Then when all subsidies are phased out and tax per mile kicks in, their dreams will soon evaporate.

If you charge your EV overnight, most drivers will never have to stop for fuel
Your EV will warn you when your charge is low and provide directions to the nearest charging station
Drivers will adapt

Most drivers do not want to be forced to adapt to their transportation.

We need transportation that is adaptable to our needs, not the other way around.

Most drivers do not want to be forced to adapt to their transportation.

We need transportation that is adaptable to our needs, not the other way around.
They said the same thing about the Horseless Carriage

Your neighbor will buy one, the guy at work will brag about his, your wife will want one

People will adapt. They always have when it comes to cars

They said the same thing about the Horseless Carriage

Your neighbor will buy one, the guy at work will brag about his, your wife will want one

People will adapt. They always have when it comes to cars

That's not how it worked, then, and that's not how it works, now.

For a very long time after if first came out, the “horseless carriage” was a plaything for wealthy hobbyists.

Karl Benz invented what is widely-regarded as the first automobile to be of any practical use, in 1885. It wasn't until about 1908, with the Ford Model T, that the automobile really came to be practical for much of anyone, and even then, for many people, a horse-drawn carriage still was more practical for most needs. In Europe, automobiles remained toys for the wealthy until Hitler's “People's Car” project in the 1930s, which produced the car, designed by Ferdinand Porsche, that went on to become what we know as the original Volkswagen Beetle. It took almost half a century for the country in which the automobile was invented, to produce something that the common people could afford and use.

Here in America, depending on private industry rather than government, we had a practical automobile in about half that time, but even so, it was a good two or three decades after the invention of the Benz Motorwagen.

Automobiles did not take off as a result of one buying one, and his neighbors following suit out of envy. They took off when the technology and the infrastructure developed to make them practical.

When/if electric vehicles take off, it will be the same way. People will ditch the internal combustion engine, and buy electric cars, when electric cars become more practical for their needs than internal-combustion-engined cars. I have little doubt that it will eventually happen, but I have significant doubts that I will live to see it. We're just not nearly as close to it as everyone wants to believe. At this point, I see practical electric cars as being somewhere closer to “flying cars” than to practical realty. For longer than I've been alive, there have always been companies in business, claiming to be on the verge of producing a practical “flying car”. They haven't succeeded yet, and I am pretty sure that they will not succeed before I reach the end of my mortal existence.

Had I been alive, and at my current age, when Bertha Benz took her famous joyride, it is likely that I would not have lived to see the Model T, and I would almost certainly not have lived to see Hitler's “People's Car”.

Great article....

In 1901, the Los Angeles Times declared “The electric automobile will quickly and easily take precedence over all other” types of motor vehicles

In 1911, The New York Times declared that the EV “has long been recognized as the ideal solution” because it “is cleaner and quieter” and “much more economical.”

Furthermore, low- and middle-income Americans are facing significant electric rate increases for grid upgrades to accommodate EVs. Proof of that can be seen by looking, again, at California. Last month, the California Energy Commission estimated the state will need 1.3 million new public EV chargers by 2030. Likely cost to ratepayers: about $13 billion.

Meanwhile, blackouts are almost certain this summer and electricity prices in the state are, as energy analyst Mark Nelson recently put it, “absolutely exploding.” Last year, electricity prices soared by 7.5% and California regulators expect rates to surge another 40% or so by 2030. These cost increases are happening in a state with the highest poverty rate and largest Latino population in America.

Very good reasons to get an EV, put solar on the roof, and batteries in the garage. The give the local utility the finger. California went regressive and stupid with their new laws on residential solar. In other states, utilities are welcoming the VPP's as new generation they do not have to pay to have installed.

Whether electric cars become a viable and efficient and affordable mode of transportation is unimportant.

What it important is the control the state has over people to force them into various regulations and taxation regarding it as it will be lauded as "doing something" about global warming.
Oh, where is my little tin hat, little tin hat, little tin hat........................................................................

EVs are inevitable. But not yet.
My son is in the market for a car for his wife, she wanted an EV... but decided it is not feasible. There are simply not enough chargers around plus a good home charger cost up to $4000 installed by a reputable electrician who will encourage you to put in a separate power supply from the house. People installing EV stations through the home power supply can be a fire hazard.
Who the hell did you talk to?

The number of electric vehicles (EVs) is gradually growing across the globe, and the charging infrastructure for these vehicles continues to expand. By 2019, there were an estimated 7.3 million EV chargers worldwide, of which about 6.5 million units were private, installed by homeowners and those found in workplaces and apartment buildings.

With this new trend, and with electric cars becoming more affordable, it becomes prudent to consider installing a charging station on the premises of your business or at home. This will give you total control over when your car gets to charge. But how much does it cost to install an electric vehicle charger?

Electric Car Charging Station Costs

Several factors influence the cost of installing a charging station at home or in a specific location. The key factors include the output design and the charging type. Where you are looking to install the charging port as well as the person you hire to do the job and the cost of labor will also determine the overall cost.

There are three types of charging stations – Level 1, Level 2, and DC (direct current). The ratings for these three charging levels are as follows:

• Level 1: These are the standard electronic vehicle charging infrastructure with 120-volt single-phase AC of up to 16 amps. They are, however, limited to 12 amps and can deliver up to 1.9-kilowatt (kW) charge rate or about 5 miles of range per hour of charging. Level 1 units can be used with the standard household wall outlets since 120-volt outlets are readily available.
• Level 2: These types require a unit of 240 volts, and they allow for a wide range of charging speeds. With up to 80 amps power rating, they can deliver up to a 19.2-kilowatt charge rate or up to 60 miles of range per hour of charging time. This makes it one of the most suitable charging stations for most electronic vehicles. Level 2 EV chargers require exclusive charging equipment and a dedicated electrical circuit of 20 to 100 amps.
• DC Level 3: These charging stations use a 480-volt unit and can provide up to 80% charge in only 30 minutes. This is equivalent to 249 miles per hour of charging. They are, however, not compatible with all vehicles.

How much does it cost to install an EV charger?The costs of installation for these charging equipment also vary significantly. For example, the Level 1 charger costs between $300 to $600 before labor, which stands at about $1,000 to $1,700. The Level 2 charger goes a bit higher, with the cost increased to between $500 and $700 and labor costing about $1,200 to $2,000. For Level 3, you will need a whopping amount between $20,000 and $50,000 for parts, and labor could cost upwards of $50,000. It is worth remembering that if the installation process requires major electrical upgrades to your home, it could cost you more.

Forum List

Back