Is Trump even eligible to receive a presidential pardon?

Whether granted by himself (self pardon) or by Pence, or any future president, are such pardons prohibited by the Constitution?

US Constitution
Article 2 Section 2.
The President ,,, shall have power to grant reprieves and pardons for offenses against the United States, except in cases of impeachment.

Article 1 Section 3
Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

The constitution clearly believes those impeached should suffer the consequences of their actions through both a political and legal judgement. So does article 2 section 3 preclude the derailing of a legal judgement by precluding presidential pardons to those impeached?
From which university did you receive your Law Degree?

Democrats, like their CCP counterparts, are going after all their political opponents. After they get Trump, they plan to move on to his supporters. They plan to charge them with treason.
Not treason, sedition.

Whether granted by himself (self pardon) or by Pence, or any future president, are such pardons prohibited by the Constitution?

US Constitution
Article 2 Section 2.
The President ,,, shall have power to grant reprieves and pardons for offenses against the United States, except in cases of impeachment.

Article 1 Section 3
Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

The constitution clearly believes those impeached should suffer the consequences of their actions through both a political and legal judgement. So does article 2 section 3 preclude the derailing of a legal judgement by precluding presidential pardons to those impeached?

For what, Herr Himmler?

You vile traitors have tried to rape him for 5 years and failed.

Hey moron! He was acquitted, just like Bill Clinton and Andrew Johnson. None of your moronic reasoning is applicable!
There is no prohibition from impeaching Trump over his corrupt pardons. Which explains why he waited so long to pardon Manafort.

... He resigned to avoid impeachment. Ford threatened to pardon him if he was found guilty of anything so there was no point in pressing charges. Quid pro quo to the max.. On the other hand President Trump had the balls to face his accusers and be exonerated of any crime. Big difference.
Actually Ford said he was granting a pardon in advance of any charges in order to keep the country from being dragged into such a legal case.

And Nixon may have been clever enough to know that the impeachment restriction on presidential pardon power meant had he been impeached, that Ford wouldn't be able to pardon him.

At least that appears to be how Nixon interpreted the law.

You never pass up an opportunity to show yourself to be an idiot, do you?

Nothing would prevent Ford from pardoning Nixon of any criminal convictions in federal court. His impeachment would have nothing to do with anything.

US Constitution
Article 2 Section 2.

Article 1 Section 3

I was wondering can a new POTUS revoke the pardons of the previous POTUS
You're getting a little carried away there, dude. Maybe he should actually be judged guilty of a crime before the question of a pardons is considered.
Not really. The POTUS can give a blanket pardon for any future potential charges.. What I do like is that by accepting a pardon you give up your 5th Amendment rights and have to testfy as a witness against any co-conspirators you may have been invoved with in commiting a crime.
Disagree. I don't think that's true and even if that were true Ford was not POTUS until after Nixon was allowed to resign without charges.

I don't think Donnie's pardons to silence his complicit cronies will stand. Plus, they've all lost their 5th amendment rights and can be hauled in front of congress. As for a self-pardon, don't think it's constitutional. He could quit a few hours early and have president Pence pardon him I suppose, but it won't do a bit of good. Letitia James and Cy Vance Jr eagerly await his departure. :)

Maybe you can simply shoot all Trump supported, Frau Himmler.

Hey moron! He was acquitted, just like Bill Clinton and Andrew Johnson. None of your moronic reasoning is applicable!
There is no prohibition from impeaching Trump over his corrupt pardons. Which explains why he waited so long to pardon Manafort.

Yes, there is you incredible moron! The power to grant a Presidential Pardon is absolute. That is also not an impeachable offense because it is not a crime.

I'm not really as concerned that Donald will pay for his crimes as I am what stunts he will pull in his final 25 days. I just mainly want him OUT.

This is a case for the 25th amendment. But I doubt Pence will do his duty at this late date. We clearly have a situation similar to that depicted in the movie "Marie"

a 1985 American biographical film starring Sissy Spacek as Marie Ragghianti, former head of the Tennessee Board of Pardons and Paroles, who was removed from office in 1977 after refusing to release prisoners on whose behalf bribes had been paid to aides to Governor Ray Blanton.

Ray Blanton was governor from 1975 to 1979. He was forced from office days early by a “coup” led by his own party's leaders Speaker Ned McWherter and Lieutenant Governor John S. Wilder to inaugurate Lamar Alexander early and forestall additional potential pardons of a questionable nature

In brief, Blanton was selling pardons, and even after getting caught was going to continue issuing them until he left office. To stop him, they found a loophole in when the governors term ended, and inaugurated Lamar Alexander 3 days early, preventing Blanton from issuing any more pardons.

Although that can't happen with Trump except by the 25th amendment.
I believe Lamar Alexander replaced him, so be careful what you wish for. LOL

US Constitution
Article 2 Section 2.

Article 1 Section 3

Law degree? I doubt he has a GED.

Nothing would prevent Ford from pardoning Nixon of any criminal convictions in federal court. His impeachment would have nothing to do with anything.
You already quoted my citation of Article 2 section 3, limiting presidential pardon power in cases of impeachment.

So it appears Nixon knew if he was impeached, that Ford would be barred from pardoning him.

US Constitution
Article 2 Section 2.

Article 1 Section 3

Law degree? I doubt he has a GED.
Every Liberal is qualified to be on the USSC; just ask them.

I don't think Donnie's pardons to silence his complicit cronies will stand. Plus, they've all lost their 5th amendment rights and can be hauled in front of congress. As for a self-pardon, don't think it's constitutional. He could quit a few hours early and have president Pence pardon him I suppose, but it won't do a bit of good. Letitia James and Cy Vance Jr eagerly await his departure. :)

Maybe you can simply shoot all Trump supported, Frau Himmler.
They plan to. They will even bring in Chinese troops to help them

Not really. The POTUS can give a blanket pardon for any future potential charges.. What I do like is that by accepting a pardon you give up your 5th Amendment rights and have to testfy as a witness against any co-conspirators you may have been invoved with in commiting a crime.
Disagree. I don't think that's true and even if that were true Ford was not POTUS until after Nixon was allowed to resign without charges.
Ford granted Nixon a blanket pardon of any crimes he committed during his term(s) as president. A presidents pardon power can extend into the past, example Jake Johnson, or Robert E. Lee, into the present, but NOT into the future. A pardon covers when the crimes were committed, independent of when charged, convicted, or imprisoned.

Yes, there is you incredible moron! The power to grant a Presidential Pardon is absolute. That is also not an impeachable offense because it is not a crime.
The pardon itself can't be changed. But if done for a corrupt purpose, subjects the president to impeachment for that corrupt purpose, just like any other crime or misuse of office.

And Trump has been dangling pardons for years. Yet not issuing them until it was too late to impeach him again.

You already quoted my citation of Article 2 section 3, limiting presidential pardon power in cases of impeachment.

So it appears Nixon knew if he was impeached, that Ford would be barred from pardoning him.

You Communists tried to impeach the president and utterly failed.

You lied, cheated, obstructed justice, fabricated evidence,, had dozens of communist pigs perjure themselves, engaged in flat out treason and still failed.

US Constitution
Article 2 Section 2.

Article 1 Section 3

You’re the typical leftist sheeple !!
You’re so pathetic

And Trump has been dangling pardons for years. Yet not issuing them until it was too late to impeach him again.

Had Trump pardoned Manafort when he was convicted or sentenced, he would have faced impeachment even sooner than for the Ukraine phone call.

Mar 7, 2019 — President Trump's former campaign chairman Paul Manafort was sentenced to just under four years in prison on Thursday after being convicted ...

The impeachment of Donald Trump, the 45th president of the United States, was initiated on December 18, 2019,

Trump waited over a year to pardon Manafort for a reason.

Listen dumbass! He cannot pardon him from the impeachment! He CAN pardon him from any convictions for crimes AFTER he was removed from office. My God, you are as stupid as a brick!

Forum List

Back