Is Trump even eligible to receive a presidential pardon?

The constitution clearly believes those impeached should suffer the consequences of their actions through both a political and legal judgement. So does article 2 section 3 preclude the derailing of a legal judgement by precluding presidential pardons to those impeached?

I would say that they would unless someone tried to charge him for the crimes he committed in relation to the Ukraine, because that's what he was impeached for.

If they charged him with income tax evasion, collusion with the Russians, human right violations for throwing Mexican kids into cages, then, no, he could get a pardon to cover those things because he was never impeached for them.

The constitution clearly believes those impeached should suffer the consequences of their actions through both a political and legal judgement. So does article 2 section 3 preclude the derailing of a legal judgement by precluding presidential pardons to those impeached?

I would say that they would unless someone tried to charge him for the crimes he committed in relation to the Ukraine, because that's what he was impeached for.

If they charged him with income tax evasion, collusion with the Russians, human right violations for throwing Mexican kids into cages, then, no, he could get a pardon to cover those things because he was never impeached for them.
That brings up the question of double jeopardy.

You're getting a little carried away there, dude. Maybe he should actually be judged guilty of a crime before the question of a pardons is considered.

An adjudication is not required for a pardon, Nixon was never charged or convicted, but was pardoned by Ford.

Was he? Where can I find a copy of the pardon?

Search engines are really great things, try them sometime.

Good Lord, you people are stupid. Trump was not impeached, period end of story. Impeachment is a two part process, charging by the house and conviction by the senate. Trump was not convicted therefore he was NOT IMPEACHED, the charges were not sustained at trial.

You're getting a little carried away there, dude. Maybe he should actually be judged guilty of a crime before the question of a pardons is considered.

An adjudication is not required for a pardon, Nixon was never charged or convicted, but was pardoned by Ford.

Search engines can't help you if you're searching for something that doesn't exist and-like I said-I don't believe that exists. I take it you don't know of any proof.

Regardless, accepting a pardon is an admission of guilt in every offense that is pardoned

Which would mean that anyone who had the intel but lied about it during the Impeachment trial (every Republican senator besides Romney, and most Republican representatives as well) would then obviously be guilty of obstruction of justice.

Search engines can't help you if you're searching for something that doesn't exist and-like I said-I don't believe that exists. I take it you don't know of any proof.
nixon had committed crimes, which were revealed in the Watergate investigation and hearings....

doj says you can't charge a president while in office, so articles of impeachment were drawn up to remove Nixon first.

Nixon resigned to avoid being impeached.

Before legal charges were drawn by DOJ, Ford pardoned Nixon for any crimes commited by him while serving as President. It was a limited period of the presidency. It was not ever challenged in the supreme court as far as pardoning for crimes not found guilty for in a court of law, yet. But I suppose everyone just wanted to heal and move on from Tricky Dick?

Yeah, schizophrenics don't believe their lying eyes either. The link contains a presidential proclamation number that you could easily look up in the national archives. But hey, feel free to remain ignorant, it means nothing to me.

Regardless, accepting a pardon is an admission of guilt in every offense that is pardoned

Which would mean that anyone who had the intel but lied about it during the Impeachment trial (every Republican senator besides Romney, and most Republican representatives as well) would then obviously be guilty of obstruction of justice.

And what would you be admitting to if a general pardon is granted?

That brings up the question of double jeopardy.

Actually, it really doesn't. Impeachment is not a judgement on the guilt or innocent of an office holder, it's just a determination on whether or not that person is fit to continue to hold office.

For instance, Alcee Hastings was impeached from the Federal Bench in 1988 AFTER he had been put on trial and acquitted of bribery. Even though he was not found guilty in a court of law, he was removed from the bench. He eventually got elected to Congress, where he still is today.

Judge Walter Nixon was convicted of Perjury in 1986, and removed through impeachment in 1989.

Impeachment and criminal liability are two seperate issues.

On a similar note, Clinton admitted guilt to all things Lewinsky related in the last hours of his presidency to avoid criminal charges after he left office, even though he had been acquitted by the Senate. He paid a fine and surrendered his law license.

So, yes, Trump can be charged for crimes, even ones related to impeachment, after he leaves.

Political officials can be impeached for "high crimes and misdemeanors". Do you know of any other reasons they can be impeached? If so where is that information listed. There are civil courts criminal courts and I would submit that impeachment is yet another type of court and that having been found not guilty of any offense having to face charges again for the same alleged crimes would indeed be double jeopardy. Had he been found guilty of any offence however there is no reason a criminal court could not have tried and sentenced him in a criminal court.

Trump has asked his lawyers about whether he could do it. He's been thinking about it. He must anticipate charges or he wouldn't have asked.
You don't know what Trump has said to his lawyers. Stop spreading gossip.

Then why is Trump asking white house legal counsel if he can pardon himself?
Because he knows that Dims are lunatics who will try to indict him for one thing or another. They will harass him to the end of his days. That's how crazy and vindictive Dims are.

Forum List

Back