Is it God or Nature?

It is a fact that the universe is an intelligence creating machine. It is the nature of intelligence to create intelligence.

You were doing okay with your science and politics for a bit, but then the above and then you end up losing your audience. The universe is an intelligence creating machine? :laugh:

You get the same type of effect with me when you bring in the Bible. I would think you meant that complex life forms from a bacteria cell or single cell. That's what Darwin was able to explain as ToE. I assume you meant God created the single cell and then it becomes a complex one. It's almost like you're saying God is the universe seeing this is under R&E. Instead, why don't you post it under S&T and leave God out? Then I would treat it more seriously and not you trying to change God of the Bible.
Cool story, bro. I meant exactly what I have written. The universe is an intelligence creating machine. There is absolutely no doubt about it. Beings that know and create were predestined by God to exist before space and time began according to the laws of nature which were created by God who willed space and time into existence. We aren’t here by accident. We are literally the pinnacle of creation and the purpose for creation. Everything about creation glorifies God. God shares in our experiences.
I agree that religion is separate from one's belief in a God. Religions are cultural relics reflecting authoritarian leaders influencing their uneducated followers.

You seem somewhat educated, but lacking thoroughness in your logic.
Of course, our intelligence was created (by an evolutionary process, or DNA?) after individual cognitive development.
To say we "were predestined by God to exist before space and time" is not only presumptious, but lacks logical consistency. If your concept of God is separate from nature and it's laws, and "supernatural", how do you know ANYTHING specific about God's intentions?
Blind faith?
Actually it is entirely logical that intelligence begets intelligence. So rather than being a late outgrowth of the evolution of space and time mind has always existed as the source or matrix of the physical world such that everything is mind stuff such that beings that know and create eventually arose.
Again, VERY presumptuous. Where does the "intelligence begets intelligence" process begin? Simply "poof" because YOU understand the supernatural?
Again, it’s because I have studied what was created.

It is a fact that the universe is an intelligence creating machine. It is the nature of intelligence to create intelligence.

You were doing okay with your science and politics for a bit, but then the above and then you end up losing your audience. The universe is an intelligence creating machine? :laugh:

You get the same type of effect with me when you bring in the Bible. I would think you meant that complex life forms from a bacteria cell or single cell. That's what Darwin was able to explain as ToE. I assume you meant God created the single cell and then it becomes a complex one. It's almost like you're saying God is the universe seeing this is under R&E. Instead, why don't you post it under S&T and leave God out? Then I would treat it more seriously and not you trying to change God of the Bible.
Cool story, bro. I meant exactly what I have written. The universe is an intelligence creating machine. There is absolutely no doubt about it. Beings that know and create were predestined by God to exist before space and time began according to the laws of nature which were created by God who willed space and time into existence. We aren’t here by accident. We are literally the pinnacle of creation and the purpose for creation. Everything about creation glorifies God. God shares in our experiences.
I agree that religion is separate from one's belief in a God. Religions are cultural relics reflecting authoritarian leaders influencing their uneducated followers.

Of course, our intelligence was created (by an evolutionary process, or DNA?) after individual cognitive development.
To say we "were predestined by God to exist before space and time" is not only presumptious, but lacks logical consistency. If your concept of God is separate from nature and it's laws, and "supernatural", how do you know ANYTHING specific about God's intentions?
Blind faith?
Actually it is entirely logical that intelligence begets intelligence. So rather than being a late outgrowth of the evolution of space and time mind has always existed as the source or matrix of the physical world such that everything is mind stuff such that beings that know and create eventually arose.
Again, VERY presumptuous. Where does the "intelligence begets intelligence" process begin? Simply "poof" because YOU understand the supernatural?
With the source or matrix. The only solution to the first cause conundrum is something which has always existed and will always exist. In other words, eternal. For something to be eternal it must be unchanging. Therefore, it must be beyond energy and matter because energy and matter are not eternal because energy and matter are not unchanging.

In fact the only thing I can think of that fits this definition is truth. Truth is eternal. Truth is unchanging. And what is truth if it is not mind stuff?
There is no logic to your claim about "eternal", or your "truth" is illogical.
Seems to me you created a supernatural world where your "truth" feels comfortable to you. To each their own mind!

Blind faith?
With the source or matrix. The only solution to the first cause conundrum is something which has always existed and will always exist. In other words, eternal. For something to be eternal it must be unchanging. Therefore, it must be beyond energy and matter because energy and matter are not eternal because energy and matter are not unchanging.

In fact the only thing I can think of that fits this definition is truth. Truth is eternal. Truth is unchanging. And what is truth if it is not mind stuff?
Seems to me you created a supernatural world where your "truth" feels comfortable to you. To each their own mind!
But you are wrong. For any given thing there will be a final state of fact. When discovered it is realized that it was always that way and will always be that way. In other words truth is eternal and unchanging. Which are the exact attributes that the solution to the first cause conundrum must possess.

Final state of fact or objective truth is reality. Ergo God is reality. Ergo God is existence.

Blind faith?

To each their own mind is moral relativism and it is effectively the original sin.

What I find most interesting about our little exchange here is that you have absolutely no basis for any of your beliefs. Whereas I have gone into great detail explaining the logic behind my beliefs.

So really, which one of us is clinging to their belief without any rational basis for that belief. Because from my perspective you just accused me of what you are doing.

"...It is primarily physicists who in recent times have expressed most clearly and forthrightly this pervasive relationship between mind and matter, and indeed at times the primacy of mind. Arthur Eddington in 1928 wrote, “the stuff of the world is mind‑stuff ... The mind‑stuff is not spread in space and time.... Recognizing that the physical world is entirely abstract and without ‘actuality’ apart from its linkage to consciousness, we restore consciousness to the fundamental position . . .”

Von Weizsacker in 1971 states as “a new and, I feel, intelligible interpretation of quantum theory” what he calls his “Identity Hypothesis: Consciousness and matter are different aspects of the same reality.”

I like most of all Wolfgang Pauli’s formulation, from 1952: “To us . . . the only acceptable point of view appears to be the one that recognizes both sides of reality -- the quantitative and the qualitative, the physical and the psychical -- as compatible with each other, and can embrace them simultaneously . . . It would be most satisfactory of all if physis and psyche (i.e., matter and mind) could be seen as complementary aspects of the same reality.”

What this kind of thought means essentially is that one has no more basis for considering the existence of matter without its complementary aspect of mind, than for asking that elementary particles not also be waves.

As for this seeming a strange viewpoint for a scientist -- at least until one gets used to it -- as in so many other instances, what is wanted is not so much an acceptable concept as an acceptable rhetoric. If I say, with Eddington, “the stuff of the world is mind‑stuff,” that has a metaphysical ring. But if I say that ultimate reality is expressed in the solutions of the equations of quantum mechanics, quantum electrodynamics, and quantum field theory -- that sounds like good, modern physics. Yet what are those equations, indeed what is mathematics, but mind‑stuff? -- virtually the ultimate in mind‑stuff and for that reason deeply mysterious..."

Blind faith?
The physical world only becomes manifest through the mind. It might as well not exist unless there is someone who can manifest that reality through mind.
An agnostic scientist would say the opposite; The mind only becomes manifest through the biological development of the brain.
The physical world only becomes manifest through the mind. It might as well not exist unless there is someone who can manifest that reality through mind.
An agnostic scientist would say the opposite; The mind only becomes manifest through the biological development of the brain.
not all scientists -

Flora exists without a CNS - brain ...

1588728060791.png

it is an error to believe the physiology of Flora does not have the same spiritual content as Fauna ...

Blind faith?
not all scientists -

View attachment 332526

it is an error to believe the physiology of Flora does not have the same spiritual content as Fauna ...
Why not? You don’t have any.

Nature (biology & culture) explains this Covid-19 & other pandemics. The “God” belief/faith explains nothing logical.

The dense populations in urban areas around the world plus travel plus some political stupidity explains a lot of the ability for the virus to spread & kill susceptible/unhealthy people.
Maybe Nature is telling us something.

Blind faith?
not all scientists -

View attachment 332526

Hey Ding ... why does a benevolent God allow so much misery & deaths?
You appear confident in “knowing” your buddy, “God”.
:)

Blind faith?
not all scientists -

View attachment 332526

Maybe he's testing you?

Blind faith?
not all scientists -

View attachment 332526

Maybe he's testing you?
Maybe? Maybe not.
I am staying very healthy by applying common sense caution and some intelligence.
And i don’t mind pissing on YOUR “God”. :)
Hey God in Ding’s mind ...
“Get the fxck out of there, you dreadful piece of crap.”
I’m very confident that he will not punish me.
LOL

Blind faith?
not all scientists -

View attachment 332526

Maybe he's testing you?
Maybe? Maybe not.
I am staying very healthy by applying common sense caution and some intelligence.
And i don’t mind pissing on YOUR “God”. :)
Hey God in Ding’s mind ...
I’m very confident that he will not punish me.
LOL
I think your problem is that you give more thought to the destination than I do. I focus on the journey.

Piss away. What you do doesn't harm me in the slightest. It says more about you than it does me.

Actually in my mind I don't have perfect knowledge and neither do you.

But I do have faith that everything works for good even when I don't always see it. And I do believe everything happens for a reason and serves a purpose even when I don't see that either.

I believe you will only believe God exists if he did magical things for you like a show pony and even then I am not so sure that would convince you. You have a hard heart.

But I am certain that you have never actually given any serious consideration to your ridiculous belief that God can only exist if everything is perfect.

But I do have faith that everything works for good even when I don't always see it. And I do believe everything happens for a reason and serves a purpose even when I don't see that either.

I believe you will only believe God exists if he did magical things for you like a show pony and even then I am not so sure that would convince you. You have a hard heart.

But I am certain that you have never actually given any serious consideration to your ridiculous belief that God can only exist if everything is perfect.
“everything happens for a reason”

I agree. That “reason” is Natural forces and, in the case of animals, motivation (including being happy or content).
The “purpose” Nature has contructed thru evolution & other forces is ... survival, propagation, redistribution of matter with forces.

I agree. That “reason” is Natural forces and, in the case of animals, motivation (including being happy or content).
The “purpose” Nature has contructed thru evolution & other forces is ... survival, propagation, redistribution of matter with forces.
There are two components to natural selection; functional advantage and transfer of functional advantage to the next generation.

So even Darwin says that belief in God is superior than not believing in God. Otherwise, religion would have died out long ago.

Why do you think nature cares if living things survive?

There are two components to natural selection; functional advantage and transfer of functional advantage to the next generation.

So even Darwin says that belief in God is superior than not believing in God. Otherwise, religion would have died out long ago.
Did Darwin say that, or is that your interpretation?
The reason religion survives is that it’s a cultural relic supported by powerful people who use it to their advantage at the expense of poor “weaker” citizens.
You should try learning some anthropology, sociology, social & developmental psychology.

Why do you think nature cares if living things survive?
It doesn’t.

Forum List

Back