Zone1 Picking Blackberries

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
This thread really is about picking blackberries, provided anyone is interested. I've been picking blackberries in summers for over 70 years, first when I was kid with my buds, then my wife, my kids, and now hopefully my grandkids.

Have you noticed in the produce sections of grocery stores, blackberries in little plastic containers. They look beautifully, perfectly shaped, and they look so delicious. However, when you bite into one of these beautiful berries, you'll find they have almost no taste, maybe a bit tart and only a bit juicy. They taste nothing like fresh picked ripe blackberries. Their lack of taste is due to the fact they are picked weeks before they are ripe which allows them to be stored, shipped, and displayed in stores for weeks with no spoilage. They remain firm and eye appealing. This is exactly what grocery stores want, beautiful fruit that will not spoil on the shelf. However, the downside for the customer is these berries will never properly ripen off the vine and develop the wonderful taste they are known for.

Unless you live in or near a farming community or you pick the berries yourself, you'll probably never experience the wonderful taste of fresh ripe blackberries. Like many berries, once ripe they are only good for a few days or maybe a week in the frig.

So if you're interested, let's talk about picking blackberries. They grow almost everywhere, in very cold places and very hot places. As long they have descent soil, enough rain and sun they will grow. In fact, they grow so well, and so fast, they are often considered nuisances. Chances are there are some close to you. However to get good blackberries, you have know what to pick, when to pick, and how to pick.

Last edited:
This thread really is about picking blackberries, provided anyone is interested. I've been picking blackberries in summers for over 70 years, first when I was kid with my buds, then my wife, my kids, and now hopefully my grandkids.

Have you noticed in the produce sections of groceries stores, blackberries in little plastic containers. They look beautifully, perfectly shaped, and they look so delicious. However, when you bite into one of these beautiful berries, you'll find they have almost no taste, maybe a bit tart and only a bit juicy. They taste nothing like fresh picked ripe blackberries. Their lack of taste is due to the fact they are picked weeks before they are ripe which allows them to be stored, shipped, and displayed in stores for weeks with no spoilage. They remain firm and eye appealing. This is exactly what grocery stores want, beautiful fruit that will not spoil on the shelf. However, the downside for the customer is these berries will never properly ripen off the vine and develop the wonderful taste they are known for.

Unless you live in or near a farming community or you pick the berries yourself, you'll probably never experience the wonderful taste of fresh ripe blackberries. Like many berries, once ripe they are only good for a few days or maybe a week in the frig.

So if you're interested, let's talk about picking blackberries. They grow almost everywhere, in very cold places and very hot places. As long they have descent soil, enough rain and sun they will grow. In fact, they grow so well, and so fast, they are often considered nuisances. Chances are there are some close to you. However to get good blackberries, you have know what to pick, when to pick, and how to pick.
we have about 100ft of blackberries and maybe 75 of bosen berries and what I want to know is how not to loose so much blood while picking them??

we got about 2 gallons of blacks and maybe one in the bosen berries,, about average since we dont do heavy pruning,,

Have you noticed in the produce sections of groceries stores, blackberries in little plastic containers. They look beautifully, perfectly shaped, and they look so delicious. However, when you bite into one of these beautiful berries, you'll find they have almost no taste, maybe a bit tart and only a bit juicy. They taste nothing like fresh picked ripe blackberries. Their lack of taste is due to the fact they are picked weeks before they are ripe which allows them to be stored, shipped, and displayed in stores for weeks with no spoilage. They remain firm and eye appealing. This is exactly what grocery stores want, beautiful fruit that will not spoil on the shelf. However, the downside for the customer is these berries will never properly ripen off the vine and develop the wonderful taste they are known for.

When my family used to spend the summers in Northern Wisconsin, my Mom would have us out picking berries to make homemade jelly.

Blueberries in June
Raspberries in July
Blackberries in August

I live near an area where they commercially grow a lot of Strawberries, Blueberries and Blackberries. (Plant City Florida)

We can get perfectly ripe ones at the roadside stands or pick your own fields.

Beats the hell out of what we can get at Costco.

I tried growing my own Blueberries and Blackberries in the back yard but the local critters and their bird friends always screwed me out of the crop.

Have you noticed in the produce sections of grocery stores, blackberries in little plastic containers. They look beautifully, perfectly shaped, and they look so delicious. However, when you bite into one of these beautiful berries, you'll find they have almost no taste, maybe a bit tart and only a bit juicy. They taste nothing like fresh picked ripe blackberries. Their lack of taste is due to the fact they are picked weeks before they are ripe which allows them to be stored, shipped, and displayed in stores for weeks with no spoilage. They remain firm and eye appealing. This is exactly what grocery stores want, beautiful fruit that will not spoil on the shelf. However, the downside for the customer is these berries will never properly ripen off the vine and develop the wonderful taste they are known for.

shopping has become more about looks than quality,, and with modern youth thinking meat and cheese come from the store and not a cow has made it ten times worse,,

I remember the first time I got my wife to eat a mulberry right off the tree, she didnt even know they were eatable let alone taste good,,

now she cant walk by one without stopping,,,
I have close to 100 mulberry trees so it takes her a long time to go on walks,,

Walking along the 5 miles of dirt road I grew up on blackberries grew wild along the roadside. We kids picked as many as we could and mom would make blackberry cobbler. Nice and hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Urban sprawl has destroyed this type of experience for many of the younger generations.

we have about 100ft of blackberries and maybe 75 of bosen berries and what I want to know is how not to loose so much blood while picking them??

we got about 2 gallons of blacks and maybe one in the bosen berries,, about average since we dont do heavy pruning,,
Nice long sleeve shirt even thou it's hot. I've also found picking berries slowly is the best way to stop the blood loss. Pull the leaves to move the bush, to reveal berries. The mistake most people make is handling the branches thinking they will be able to escape the thorns. I've tried to use gloves, but it makes it too hard to pick.

Do you wear gloves, or you're just good?

There used to be a spot in the woods I'd go pick blackberries and rasberries.

Them thorns ain't nice.

When my family used to spend the summers in Northern Wisconsin, my Mom would have us out picking berries to make homemade jelly.

Blueberries in June
Raspberries in July
Blackberries in August
I've picked blackberries and raspberries but never blueberries. Do the blueberry plants have thrones?

Nice long sleeve shirt even thou it's hot. I've also found picking berries slowly is the best way to stop the blood loss. Pull the leaves to move the bush, to reveal berries. The mistake most people make is handling the branches thinking they will be able to escape the thorns. I've tried to use gloves, but it makes it too hard to pick.
hated the gloves for the same reason,, slow and steady is about the only choice other than having someone else do it for you,,
but that pisses my wife off,,

I have blackberries red raspberries and blue berries around my property... they are delicious... I think the last owner of the property planted them... the black berries took a few years to develop but this year they are sweet and juicy... the blueberries are huge and my favorite the raspberries are awesome.... I bring in a bowl of berries every week...

shopping has become more about looks than quality,, and with modern youth thinking meat and cheese come from the store and not a cow has made it ten times worse,,

I remember the first time I got my wife to eat a mulberry right off the tree, she didnt even know they were eatable let alone taste good,,

now she cant walk by one without stopping,,,
I have close to 100 mulberry trees so it takes her a long time to go on walks,,
Mulberries are really etible
I live near an area where they commercially grow a lot of Strawberries, Blueberries and Blackberries. (Plant City Florida)

We can get perfectly ripe ones at the roadside stands or pick your own fields.

Beats the hell out of what we can get at Costco.

I tried growing my own Blueberries and Blackberries in the back yard but the local critters and their bird friends always screwed me out of the crop.
Lived in Florida for many. There were some you pick'em fields and we would come home with more strawberries than we could ever eat. We would go to the Strawberry Festival in Plant City every year and we always liked the little cakes with strawberries in whip cream. It seems to me that Plant City strawberries are not as good as they use to be. They are much larger now but they don't seem to have as much taste. Of course when you're older, nothing is as good as it use to be.

Walking along the 5 miles of dirt road I grew up on blackberries grew wild along the roadside. We kids picked as many as we could and mom would make blackberry cobbler. Nice and hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Urban sprawl has destroyed this type of experience for many of the younger generations.
Yes, unfortunately

Mulberries are really etible

Lived in Florida for many. There were some you pick'em fields and we would come home with more strawberries than we could ever eat. We would go to the Strawberry Festival in Plant City every year and we always liked the little cakes with strawberries in whip cream. It seems to me that Plant City strawberries are not as good as they use to be. They are much larger now but they don't seem to have as much taste. Of course when you're older, nothing is as good as it use to be.

You have to get them at the right time.

The best time is right after a cold spell the morning they are picked and available at one of the several roadside stands. Coolness enhances the sugar content.

Mid season strawberries are better than the early or late season ones. By the time of the Strawberry Festival it is mostly late season berries.

Some fields produce better berries than others.

However, I think you are right about the varieties. Growers want berries that will stand up to packing and shipment, not necessarily the best tasting ones. It happens with all fruit.

I have blackberries red raspberries and blue berries around my property... they are delicious... I think the last owner of the property planted them... the black berries took a few years to develop but this year they are sweet and juicy... the blueberries are huge and my favorite the raspberries are awesome.... I bring in a bowl of berries every week...
I never realized it but there are many differ kinds of blackberries, some without thorns although I have never seen them.

Blackberries grow on trees, and there were a few trees in the alleys of the urban prairie I used to live in.

It was nice having them around.

Forum List

Back