I’m so old that

I remember when we were all going to switch to the metric system, ANY day now. I-19, heading south from Tucson to Mexico, was a test highway measured out in kilometers instead of miles. It was going to be the vanguard of all highways being measured that way. And I remember the American public going, "Meh. No thanks". I-19 is still measured that way, but all the other highways are still miles.

And they started putting up the signs with miles and kilometers. Everyone going........ummm......we aren't Europe.

1639270434321.png

I'm so old I remember when doctors made house calls.

I remember when the Orlando airport was an old hanger with about 50 parking spaces out front.

I remember coming back to school from the Christmas break and the teacher changing the calendar and saying this is no longer 1954, it is now 1955.

I'm so old I remember floppy disks and dial up modems.

EEK!

My first modem was a homemade contraption, that I interfaced to my Apple ][ via the joystick port. I wrote a terminal program in 6502 assembly language, that polled the relevant input watching for a start bit, and then cycled through a loop that was crafted to take exactly 1⁄300 of a second per cycle, to read in the subsequent bits at 300 baud.

A similar routine sent output in a similar manner, manipulating at output bit via a 1⁄300 loop.

I had another output control the hook switch, so that I could dial the phone in a pulse-dialing manner.

Forum List

Back