I question the assertion from the right that we have a powerful "liberal media"

For much of the past six years, when there was a story which could hurt Obama's image, the media first avoided telling it, and then when forced to tell it they reported on how Republicans might use it to harm Obama. The press should have researched the story on their own but all they would do is comment on how it might affect Obama.

If they had done more original investigation then a lot of the abuses committed by the government wouldn't have happened and maybe Obama would have come closer to living up to the standards he preached. The fawning press allowed him to become complacent which harmed his ability to live up to his ideals.

NSA, IRS, Benghazi, ObabaCare, and Obama is still in the White House ONLY because most people still believe the major media outlets

You're right; when they televised Mitt Romney making a plethora of stupid statements, the stupid Liberal audience believed what they saw.
Next.

"Liberal media" is a fantasy created by the Eliminationists who want a one-party state and can't stand the thought of dialogue or alternative views to their own. What we have in fact is a massive corporate media, a few megalopolic monsters with tentacles reaching into every possible facet of human commuication (TV stations, radio stations, TV networks, TV production companies, internet sites, ISPs, movies, magazines, book publishing, advertising, even sports teams and arenas, which makes it possible not only to control the news but actually dictate what the news is.

Liberal media? It does exist out there somewhere. Good luck finding it. That shit we're bombarded with wall to wall everywhere else? Corporate controlled and in no way independent.

"I admit it -- The liberal media were never that powerful and the whole thing was often used as an excuse by conservatives for conservative failures." -- William Kristol

"I've gotten balanced coverage and broad coverage - all we could have asked. ... For heaven sakes, we kid about the liberal media, but every republican on earth does that." -- Pat Buchanan

For decades the Left has controlled and monopolized Mass Media in the United States. Mass media including television, movies, the print media, and digital formats. It became impossible for the average American to watch or read any form of entertainment without being bombarded with the liberal left agenda perpetually and at times blatantly blasted in their faces, Orwellian 1984 had arrived .

Gallup Polls have indicated that most Americans hold the media in very low esteem, they have very little confidence in the main stream media to report ANYTHING fairly. In 2011 a 60% majority reported a perception of media bias, with 47% saying that it was too liberal, and 13% too conservative. Given the history and known leftist slant that has infiltrated the Gallup organization I would chance to say that those numbers in reality may actually be higher. Continually year after year since 2002 more Americans polled believe that the media shows brazen liberal left wing bias.

Media Matters for America

You haven't seen the best part yet, when he actually posts something that can be challenged, and someone does it, he claims he didn't say it.

He gave me no "challenge", Dickbag. All he has is gainsaying. I came back ready to refute whatever he had posted but he had already done it for me.

You on the other hand have a long history of alleging this or that in a post, being challenged to prove it, and running away like the coward you are because you made it up in the first place.

Doesn't impress me.

One of us can't read. Since I didn't say he challenged you, and actually implied that he did not, it must be you.

So you're claiming ignorance of how to use the pronoun he?

He is third person. You quoted a poster yammering ad hominem about me; that makes me "he". Since you're addressing him, any comment to him would be second person. Yet you're claiming now to be so inept that you used the third person to refer to the person you're addressing.

Then I agree with your first sentence. One of us truly can't read. Or write.

Political bias affects the media the way it affects PolitiFact.

It's not usually intentional but it creeps in during things like the decisions of what is newsworthy. Statements by rightwingers will be more jarring and draw more attention. Statements by leftwingers which should be eye openers don't send up the flags they should with liberals.

Sympathies allow excuses to be made for people whom you feel an affinity for -- during the 2008 campaign I noticed the media giving Obama do-overs and basically restating what he actually said in a version which would seem more palatable. Because they couldn't imagine that Obama really meant anything bad. But they could easily imagine a Republican did mean something bad, so they didn't let the Republicans off the hook for what they said -- and in some cases pretended Republican said bad things they didn't really say.

Last edited:
Political bias affects the media the way it affects PolitiFact.

It's not usually intentional but it creeps in during things like the decisions of what is newsworthy. Statements by rightwingers will be more jarring and draw more attention. Statements by leftwingers which should be eye openers don't send up the flags they should with liberals.

Amelia, you may be the only one making intelligent comments here. I agree with the general idea here. More jarring will always be -- not more newsworthy in a true sense but will get more attention. Because is sells more papers. As long as the reporting of the news is a for-profit business that will sadly be the case. So this aspect will always tilt what news gets overcovered and what gets ignored. News shouldn't have to be sexy, but in our world that's what it's degenerated to - a lowest common denominator.

And it can work either way independent of ideology; just the other day I had to explain to a couple of posters who believed Ronald Reagan freed the Iran hostages that it was the Carter administration. Can't blame those posters for that error; our sterling news media really didn't make it clear, because it was so much more Hollywood to believe that Reagan, while getting inaugurated, waved some magic wand, but it wasn't the case. So much for the 'liberal media' canard.

News is an expensive venture. Flying reporters around to sniff out details and take photos and get quotes and get them back to the press or the mic or the camera involves a lot of people with expense accounts. In the old days the alphabet TV news was subsidized by the sitcoms that followed it. But CNN and later Fox have made it into a tabloid gossip affair. And television doesn't do nuance -- it's two dimensional; so anything that's going to attract the almighty advertiser has to be short and go for the gut.

Then there are all the insidious tentacles of megacorp ownership. Don't get me started.

Last edited:
Conservatives are, of course, for the most part ideologues, and as such they find it impossible to accept the fact that their dogma has been rejected by a majority of the voters, as was the case in 2008 and 2012.

Consequently they need to find a scapegoat, something or someone to blame, as clearly the fault can’t be with conservative dogma.

The myth of the ‘liberal bias’ media meets that requirement perfectly.

Conservatives are, of course, for the most part ideologues, and as such they find it impossible to accept the fact that their dogma has been rejected by a majority of the voters, as was the case in 2008 and 2012.

Consequently they need to find a scapegoat, something or someone to blame, as clearly the fault can’t be with conservative dogma.

I love the way Conservatives state that FoxNews gets more viewers than just about the entire rest of the media combined and then claims that the Liberal Media controls the minds of the masses.
I guess some people CAN have it both ways.

He gave me no "challenge", Dickbag. All he has is gainsaying. I came back ready to refute whatever he had posted but he had already done it for me.

You on the other hand have a long history of alleging this or that in a post, being challenged to prove it, and running away like the coward you are because you made it up in the first place.

Doesn't impress me.

One of us can't read. Since I didn't say he challenged you, and actually implied that he did not, it must be you.

So you're claiming ignorance of how to use the pronoun he?

He is third person. You quoted a poster yammering ad hominem about me; that makes me "he". Since you're addressing him, any comment to him would be second person. Yet you're claiming now to be so inept that you used the third person to refer to the person you're addressing.

Then I agree with your first sentence. One of us truly can't read. Or write.

Were you confused by me explaining how English works again? Here is what I said with a few phrases added in too make it clearer for you.

You (Greebean) haven't seen the best part yet, when he (Pogo) actually posts something that can be challenged (which didn't happen here), and someone does it (which didn't happen here), he (Pogo) claims he (Pogo) didn't say it.

Did that make it easier for you to see how I didn't say that he challenged you? I just pointed out that, if he ever does, you will end up denying you said what you said, and accuse him of lying for calling you on it.

Conservative may, or may not, be ideologues, but the other side is stuck with you.

I love the way Conservatives state that FoxNews gets more viewers than just about the entire rest of the media combined and then claims that the Liberal Media controls the minds of the masses.

You seem to have no problem with having it both ways.

Fox is only the beginning, it's a wake up call for the majority of people and an introduction [re-introduction] to reality. It's goes against the establishment and the Big Brother Liberal Media Machine. "The Masses", or large segments thereof, are tuning in in absolute Awe, and disbelief as to the crap the Liberal Left has been force feeding us for decades.

Fox is only the beginning, it's a wake up call for the majority of people and an introduction [re-introduction] to reality. It's goes against the establishment and the Big Brother Liberal Media Machine. "The Masses", or large segments thereof, are tuning in in absolute Awe, and disbelief as to the crap the Liberal Left has been force feeding us for decades.

The masses do not support far right conservatism. That is why they can't get elected or even nominated by their party

The masses do not support far right conservatism. That is why they can't get elected or even nominated by their party

The masses?
I know I'd want to belong to a party who thinks of people that way
good grief, you and clay spread mind numbing hateful and goofy crap

Last edited:

The masses?
good grief, you and clay spreading mind numbing goofy crap

When we have a country of over 300 million...

Yes we are talking about masses

A conservative cannot get nominated for President, let alone win
The numbers are not there

In my mind, the only evidence of liberal-controlled television is MSNBC. I don't understand this belief that networks like CNN, CBS, or ABC have this glaring liberal bias. While I am not necessarily a fan of these networks, I would say they do a good job in their unbiased reporting. All of them have been critical of Obama.

I think many on the right want to believe there is huge liberal bias on television news because these networks don't confirm the radical bullshit propaganda that is spewed on Fox News.

In my opinion, if you want to avoid media bias on television, don't watch fake news networks like Fox News or MSNBC. The rest of them keep it fair.

This a joke? Liberal bias in the media has been proven over and over again. So, your opinion is wrong and that is because of your liberal bias.

Liberal bias in the media has been around a lot longer than FOXNews and MSNBC.

The masses?
good grief, you and clay spreading mind numbing goofy crap

When we have a country of over 300 million...

Yes we are talking about masses

A conservative cannot get nominated for President, let alone win
The numbers are not there

In actuality the upper echelon of the Demoncratic Party could care less about ideology, they're about power at any cost. They'll lie ,slander, cheat, extort, commit treason and murder to fill their insatiable blood lust for power - "Fuck the people - full speed ahead !" seems to be their only agenda.

The upper echelon of the Republican Party seems to care about the people , they have an ideology -which is not always popular but it works more often than the Destructiveness of the Democratic Party insanity.

Cons have been brainwashed into thinking that the whole world is against them in a conspiracy. It's a strategy that worked for decades but is now backfiring in the information age. It's easier than ever to recognize overt partisanship and that's why MSNBC has terrible ratings and Air America failed. Because nobody bought or is buying their bullshit.

Fox News and con talk radio still profit off of the brainwashing. In maybe 10 or so years they'll have to start talking about the issues again instead of regurgitating talking points.

So it was cons that came up with the vast right wing conspiracy? :lol:

That was an idea brought forth from the Clintons. They must be brainwashed also.

In my mind, the only evidence of liberal-controlled television is MSNBC. I don't understand this belief that networks like CNN, CBS, or ABC have this glaring liberal bias. While I am not necessarily a fan of these networks, I would say they do a good job in their unbiased reporting. All of them have been critical of Obama.

I think many on the right want to believe there is huge liberal bias on television news because these networks don't confirm the radical bullshit propaganda that is spewed on Fox News.

In my opinion, if you want to avoid media bias on television, don't watch fake news networks like Fox News or MSNBC. The rest of them keep it fair.

This a joke? Liberal bias in the media has been proven over and over again. So, your opinion is wrong and that is because of your liberal bias.

A Liberal bias that attracts no one...based on ratings

Most are too young to remember the 60's, when CBS was called the Communist Broadcasting System. :)

Forum List

Back