I miss fried okra

Okay, per Del's request, here is my recipe for Fried Green Tomatoes.

You will need:

Large firm green tomatoes (they should feel heavy)
Salt
Black pepper
Sugar
1 or 2 eggs
1 to 2 cups buttermilk
proportion of flour is roughly 1-1/3 cup all purpose flour to 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal (I've used white cornmeal in a pinch but it isn't as good)
canola oil

1. Slice green tomatoes into 1/3 inch thick slices. Discard ends. (Too thick they'll be soggy. Too thin and they lose their taste.
2. Lay green tomato slices in single layer on foil. Liberally salt, pepper, and a pinch of sugar sprinkled over each slice. LET SIT FOR at LEAST 15 MINUTES. Juice will come to the surface. That is important or the flour/cornmeal won't stick to them.
3. Heat about 1 inch of canola oil in a heavy skillet (preferably non stick) and heat to 360 degrees. It is essential that the oil be very hot (but not smoking. If not hot enough, the product will be greasy and soggy.) (I use the electric skillet.)

4. Meanwhile, mix the flour and cornmeal. (Some use a large plastic bag. I prefer a large bowl.)
4. In a separate bowl, lightly beat egg with a fork and then add buttermilk and mix.
5. Dip each slice of green tomato into flour/cornmeal mixture and turn to coat. Do all slices this way before moving on.
Then as you cook them:
6. Dip each slice into egg/buttermilk mixture and then coat again with flour/cornmeal. Shake off excess.
7. Immediately and carefully lower each slice into the hot oil for several minutes. Do only as many slices as will fit easily into skillet without touching. When bottom has turned golden brown carefully turn slice over until other side is golden brown.
8. Use slotted spoon to remove fried slices to drain on paper towels. Do not cover with anything or they will be soggy. Don't stack the slices.
9. Salt each slice again before serving warm. (They almost always do need that second salting.)
10. Serve as is or some people like to dip them in sour cream or ranch dressing. Personally I prefer them without any dip.

On topic, OK. All of you changed my mind. IF, and only if, I meet someone who claims to know how to cook okra properly, I will try it again.

I sure hope it isn't of snotty texture, but I will believe you guys. You seem to be great connaisseurs of southern cuisine.

And, never had a fried green tomato. I might try Foxy's recipe and see what it's like. Got a few green ones still on the vine.

Oh yeah, all good southern cooks can make great cornbread from scratch. Also scratch biscuits that are flaky, flavorful, and melt in your mouth.

Dupree is my girl. She taught me how to bake. My mother was allergic to flour ( no lie here/eczema) so there was no baking in the house.

I had to hit a couple of decades up the road and when I fell into her, man oh man she made it easy.

I am grateful. And she's a class act to boot.

Sky, how can anyone NOT like Southern food? mashed potatoes*not the instant stuff*, pan gravy, fried chicken, black eye peas, and biscuts yummy!!!

I LOVE it!:eusa_drool:

meee tooo..oh and I forgot the peach cobbler and icecream to top it off...

oh to die for.

South it's cobbler in the north in canuck world it's crisp. But no matter how you look at it we're talking drooling good.

Something so feel good about these desserts.

Oh yeah, all good southern cooks can make great cornbread from scratch. Also scratch biscuits that are flaky, flavorful, and melt in your mouth.

mmmmm...buttermilk biscuits and sausage gravy!!!!

all is right with the world.

Forum List

Back