I miss fried okra

you tried it by someone who didn't know how to properly cook it. It has to be fried at a certain temperature and it has to be really hot oil. I love fried okra but hate fried mushrooms..or any kind of mushroom. I do like stuffed fried jalapeños though.

Exactly. Some people think fried okra is just floured or left bare and sauteed in medium oil. It will be soggy, greasy, and unappealing and won't taste really good that way.

It first must be harvested at the tender stage, washed, dried, and cut into small bite size peices. It then is dropped in seasoned milk or cream and then must be thoroughly coated/breaded in about half flour, half yellow corn meal with the proper seasonings added. It is then dropped in hot oil so that each piece cooks separately and fries crisp, just shy of 'burnt', in two or three minutes; drained and it is yummy yummy--it is best when served immediately when it is still hot and very crisp.

When you cant find fresh... frozen okra doesn't make a bad substitute.

Yes, I have used frozen in a pinch and it is pretty good, but there is nothing quite like tender okra fresh picked from the garden.

Also I will be dusting off my fried green tomatoes recipe as soon as the first frost is forecast. We didn't put in a garden this year, but the neighbors did and their tomato plants are producting magnificent tomatoes. There will no doubt be a lot of green ones to rescue when the time comes. :)

Exactly. Some people think fried okra is just floured or left bare and sauteed in medium oil. It will be soggy, greasy, and unappealing and won't taste really good that way.

It first must be harvested at the tender stage, washed, dried, and cut into small bite size peices. It then is dropped in seasoned milk or cream and then must be thoroughly coated/breaded in about half flour, half yellow corn meal with the proper seasonings added. It is then dropped in hot oil so that each piece cooks separately and fries crisp, just shy of 'burnt', in two or three minutes; drained and it is yummy yummy--it is best when served immediately when it is still hot and very crisp.

Yes, I have used frozen in a pinch and it is pretty good, but there is nothing quite like tender okra fresh picked from the garden.

I know... but not everyone has a garden:) ....

you tried it by someone who didn't know how to properly cook it. It has to be fried at a certain temperature and it has to be really hot oil. I love fried okra but hate fried mushrooms..or any kind of mushroom. I do like stuffed fried jalapeños though.

yeah but nothing beats tender fresh stalks of okra...

Southern cooking really is in a class by itself.

I loved the southern gal on Master Chef this past season. When they gave her an ingredient that she had never seen before and had no clue what it was but she was required to use, she just battered and fried it. Got rave reviews from the judges.

But ANY southern cook would know to do that. :)

I loved the southern gal on Master Chef this past season. When they gave her an ingredient that she had never seen before and had no clue what it was but she was required to use, she just battered and fried it. Got rave reviews from the judges.

when you dust off your green tomato recipe, would you share it?

when you dust off your green tomato recipe, would you share it?

You bet. I thought I had it on this computer but I don't. I know I have it stored on an exterior hard drive though and will find it. Probably later though. We have a dinner date coming up and I'm nowhere near ready to go.

Also I will be dusting off my fried green tomatoes recipe as soon as the first frost is forecast. We didn't put in a garden this year, but the neighbors did and their tomato plants are producting magnificent tomatoes. There will no doubt be a lot of green ones to rescue when the time comes. :)
I prefer pickled green tomatoes over fried.
A lady I used to work with would pickle them and add a single whole habanero pepper to each jar. Good stuff.

If it's southern it has to have some kind of "gravy".........
In the south gravy is either a beverage or a food group.......... :eusa_whistle:

Live crawfish?

I used to catch them. And I know I liked crawfish etouffee. Is that what you mean? But live? What do you do with them?

yep... live crawfish! I order them in by FedEx about 80 pounds at a time. A huge pot...a few crab boils...some crawfish boil seasonings...and you are good to go! You can get just the tails if you don't want to go to the bother of cooking and eating him whole.

Pinch de tails and suck de heads! Laissez les Bon Temps Roulez!!!

crawfish1.jpg

crawfish2.jpg

meh, them bugs are too small

now, these guys are worth the effort

cookedlo.jpg

lobsters.jpg

I love them small...and i love them large..... the lobster is not "southern" though :)

Ill be back in a month :lol:

• Thanks
Reactions: del
A lady I used to work with would pickle them and add a single whole habanero pepper to each jar. Good stuff.

Cajun Catfish in rockwall TX had the BEST green pickle tomatoes! The were nice and spicy too.

Cajun Catfish in rockwall TX had the BEST green pickle tomatoes! The were nice and spicy too.

The lady I speak of was from NC.
She also made the best cornbread I've ever had in my life.

Oh yeah, all good southern cooks can make great cornbread from scratch. Also scratch biscuits that are flaky, flavorful, and melt in your mouth.

I do love red ripe tomatoes from the garden, of course, there aren't any left!
But I like them cold, from the fridge and I season them with salt and pepper, after slicing, and eat away!
My Mother adored fried green tomatoes, so I would get some green tomatoes from the garden and fry her some as often as I could....I myself didn't like them, but they were her favorite :)

Forum List

Back