I miss fried okra

Radioman's boiled peanuts thread is making me hungry for some southern cooking.

I'm stuck up here in Wisconsin. Moo. :tongue:

Go to the Wisconsin state fair, they have deep fried butter sticks.........

deep-fried-butter.jpg

Oh shit, there's a heart attack waiting on a stick.
And okra, fried or rotting in the garden...it's all gross to me :lol:

What about deep fried ice cream Schwetty balls?

It sounds like sweaty balls.:lol: There was a place in Wake Forest, NC, that served fried spaghetti balls...only place I've ever seen them.

If I had spaghetti balls...I wouldn't show them to anyone.

I'm afraid to open this thread anymore. :lol:

Now that you've planted this imagery in my head I keep thinking about what medical conditions might result in spaghetti balls and I'm totally grossing myself out. :eek:

Live crawfish?

I used to catch them. And I know I liked crawfish etouffee. Is that what you mean? But live? What do you do with them?

Live crawfish?

I used to catch them. And I know I liked crawfish etouffee. Is that what you mean? But live? What do you do with them?

Biol them in seasoning..... but they have to be alive in order to do it.... its cruel, but damn good!

If ya really know what you are doing you add corn, OKRA, mushrooms, & potatoes.

Last edited:
Live crawfish?

yep... live crawfish! I order them in by FedEx about 80 pounds at a time. A huge pot...a few crab boils...some crawfish boil seasonings...and you are good to go! You can get just the tails if you don't want to go to the bother of cooking and eating him whole.

Pinch de tails and suck de heads! Laissez les Bon Temps Roulez!!!

crawfish1.jpg

crawfish2.jpg

Live crawfish?

Biol them in seasoning..... but they have to be alive in order to do it.... its cruel, but damn good!

See pics...

What do you think? ..do i know what i am doing? :lol:

Live crawfish?

See pics...

What do you think? ..do i know what i am doing? :lol:

DAMN.... I can smell em from here! :eusa_drool:

You need to come to my house Amelia. I try some gourmet stuff and even a little "yankee" cooking now and then and we do a lot of Southwestern, but the comfort food staples here are:

Fried chicken or steak fingers or pork chops
Chicken fried steak
Mashed potatoes and gravy made from the pan drippings
Collard greens or turnip greens with a little vinegar
Sweet potatoes every way you can think of to fix them
Potato salad made with a sweet mustard sauce
Pinto beans with just the right amount of savory juice and flavorings
Ditto black eyed peas.
Pot roast with stewed carrots, potatoes, and onions
Fruit salad
and yes, fried okra.

When we moved to southeastern Kansas from West Texas, our next door neighbor, originally from Oklahoma, taught at a school in a teeny town close to our larger town. She came home one day to announce to us all that they had received black-eyed peas in their school commodities. The cooks didn't know what they were, so they made chili out of them. :) The okra they didn't have a clue what to do with that so they chopped it up very fine and added it to a vegetable stew.

You need to come to my house Amelia. I try some gourmet stuff and even a little "yankee" cooking now and then and we do a lot of Southwestern, but the comfort food staples here are:

Fried chicken or steak fingers or pork chops
Chicken fried steak
Mashed potatoes and gravy made from the pan drippings
Collard greens or turnip greens with a little vinegar
Sweet potatoes every way you can think of to fix them
Potato salad made with a sweet mustard sauce
Pinto beans with just the right amount of savory juice and flavorings
Ditto black eyed peas.
Pot roast with stewed carrots, potatoes, and onions
Fruit salad
and yes, fried okra.

When we moved to southeastern Kansas from West Texas, our next door neighbor, originally from Oklahoma, taught at a school in a teeny town close to our larger town. She came home one day to announce to us all that they had received black-eyed peas in their school commodities. The cooks didn't know what they were, so they made chili out of them. :) The okra they didn't have a clue what to do with that so they chopped it up very fine and added it to a vegetable stew.

I got you covered on all of them too! And you forgot the sweet tea!

Just a good ol southen gal... from san francisco :lol:

:woohoo:

Forum List

Back