Having Chili for dinner tonight

Flash

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2014
Florida
A little cool here in Central Florida so we decided to have chili.

Over the decades I have cooked chili many different ways. My wife, being from the Midwest prefers the typical hamburger/tomato sauce/1 t spoon of chili powder bland chili. However, that is not what I fixed today.

I used this recipe. Of all the recipes this is the one that consistently produces the best for my taste. Sometimes when making this I put in beans and sometime beer but not today because I am trying to cut back on carbs a little.

I pretty well stuck to her recipe except I used chuck instead of brisket. Also, neither my wife nor I are big garlic lovers so instead of using fresh garlic used a little garlic paste.

Over the decades I have cooked chili many different ways. My wife, being from the Midwest prefers the typical hamburger/tomato sauce/1 t spoon of chili powder bland chili. However, that is not what I fixed today.

I used this recipe. Of all the recipes this is the one that consistently produces the best for my taste. Sometimes when making this I put in beans and sometime beer but not today because I am trying to cut back on carbs a little.

I pretty well stuck to her recipe except I used chuck instead of brisket. Also, neither my wife nor I are big garlic lovers so instead of using fresh garlic used a little garlic paste.

OH, YEAH!!!!!!!!!

I could eat it without beans. That recipe looks great!

• Banned

OH, YEAH!!!!!!!!!

I could eat it without beans. That recipe looks great!

That is the Urban Cowgirl recipe and it has been around for a few years.

Once I made it I decided that was going to be my go to chili recipe. I like it better than using hydrated chili pods. The chick is right in saying to use Mexene or Gebhardt's chili powder. If you use some other brand it won't have as good as flavor.

Most of the time I will put beans in it but since my A1C is rising a little bit I try not to overload with carbs if I can help it.
Odd, if I fix white bean soup for supper my A1C is lower than usual the next morning....different strokes I guess.

LOL....We had a old grizzled warden at a prison I worked at who insisted on some kind of bean soup be served with every meal, even breakfast!

He would always say "if a man won't eat anything else, he'll eat beans'....And he was correct.

You would be surprised on the number of men that just ate a bowl of beans and cathead biscuits for breakfast.

Odd, if I fix white bean soup for supper my A1C is lower than usual the next morning....different strokes I guess.

LOL....We had a old grizzled warden at a prison I worked at who insisted on some kind of bean soup be served with every meal, even breakfast!

He would always say "if a man won't eat anything else, he'll eat beans'....And he was correct.

You would be surprised on the number of men that just ate a bowl of beans and cathead biscuits for breakfast.

I could enjoy me some beans and catheads.

I could have added the beans in the chili but it would have been unneeded carbs. The chili was fine without it. I'll save the carbs for when it makes a difference.

Oh I love me a good chili with a few fresh corn tortillas and butter.

My Chili gravy is Cumin/Chili Powder/Ginger/Garlic.
And I usually make chili with chicken, not beef.
Sacrilegious? Some folks think so, but chili is all about the gravy and chicken adds no flavor to that gravy where beef does.

Forum List

Back