How Lucky Are Humans, and the World, for that Matter?

That we're able to exist even now, at this instant that I type this.

Based on the belief of atheists, this earth, has been in existence for millions, and millions of years now, starting w/of course, the Big Bang.

That there's all types of gargantuan stars, suns, meteors, planets etc, all around the universe swirling around and that could ultimately, at one point smash in to us.

Remember, that's what they claimed happened to make the dinosaurs go extinct and caused the Ice Age. A giant meteor that all but destroyed all life on earth...in an instant.

So that was millions of years ago, aren't we due for another one right about now?

What's stopping us from being destroyed by a super meteor at any point? And how do you feel w/the knowledge that this can happen at any instant?

I'd like to hear from our resident atheists on this.

What are your thoughts?
It was an inevitability that we exist. No luck about it.

Based on the belief of atheists, this earth, has been in existence for millions, and millions of years now, starting w/of course, the Big Bang.

That there's all types of gargantuan stars, suns, meteors, planets etc, all around the universe swirling around and that could ultimately, at one point smash in to us.

Remember, that's what they claimed happened to make the dinosaurs go extinct and caused the Ice Age. A giant meteor that all but destroyed all life on earth...in an instant.

So that was millions of years ago, aren't we due for another one right about now?

What's stopping us from being destroyed by a super meteor at any point? And how do you feel w/the knowledge that this can happen at any instant?

What are your thoughts?
No, it wasn't inevitable. It was chance. If the dinosaurs hadn't been wiped out by a meteor 65 million years ago, we wouldn't exist. But we DO exist. And that's a good thing, right?

What are your thoughts?
I am an atheist, or as I like to call myself, a Realist. (Why should I define myself by something I DON'T believe in? A-theist = No god) And yes, there is lots of evidence that the Earth is millions of years old, and the Big Bang has been deduced from various observable facts. And yes, the universe seems to be a chaotic, dangerous place -- as we're finding out right now with Covid-19. And unfortunately, the only thing that's stopping us from being destroyed by a "super meteor" is luck (or God, if you want to go that route).

Part of the reason that I hate religion is that it gives people false hope. Even if their lives in this world are terrible, they're promised a better one in the "next world." There isn't any next world. This is it. This is all we get. And you know what? For all its sorrows, this world is pretty great. A beautiful sunset, an inspiring piece of music, a delicious meal, or the love of someone -- you really should appreciate them while you have them. Because that's all you get. But it's enough.
WATCHOUTBRUCE>>>>>>>>>>QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ>ISWATCHINGYOU24/7>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The thought that I am among the most lucky of my race (human) to have ever existed does make for fascinating meditation. Where that meditation leads is really the question. We are all too ready to jump to conclusions.
I look about in wonder and try to just let it be, absorb what it could mean, if anything, and just feel a sense of awe and thanksgiving 'despite the real pain and suffering that even I, one of the most lucky, have experienced.

What are your thoughts?
No, it wasn't inevitable. It was chance. If the dinosaurs hadn't been wiped out by a meteor 65 million years ago, we wouldn't exist. But we DO exist. And that's a good thing, right?
In our eternal and infinite universe, everything possible is inevitable.

What are your thoughts?
I am an atheist, or as I like to call myself, a Realist. (Why should I define myself by something I DON'T believe in? A-theist = No god) And yes, there is lots of evidence that the Earth is millions of years old, and the Big Bang has been deduced from various observable facts. And yes, the universe seems to be a chaotic, dangerous place -- as we're finding out right now with Covid-19. And unfortunately, the only thing that's stopping us from being destroyed by a "super meteor" is luck (or God, if you want to go that route).

Part of the reason that I hate religion is that it gives people false hope. Even if their lives in this world are terrible, they're promised a better one in the "next world." There isn't any next world. This is it. This is all we get. And you know what? For all its sorrows, this world is pretty great. A beautiful sunset, an inspiring piece of music, a delicious meal, or the love of someone -- you really should appreciate them while you have them. Because that's all you get. But it's enough.
Who is watching me? Q? The guy from Star Trek: The Next Generation?

What are your thoughts?

Who is watching me? Q? The guy from Star Trek: The Next Generation?
QQQQQQQQQ>>>>>>>>>>>>ISWATCHINGYOU>>>>>>>>>>THEONEFROMABOVE..................

What are your thoughts?
In our eternal and infinite universe, everything possible is inevitable.
Well, okay, that's an interesting proposition, although it presupposes that the universe is both eternal and infinite. Both may be true, but who knows? But your idea is worth considering.

Probability is an interesting intellectual effort. Once something has come to be, however, it is difficult to argue against its inevitability.

Okay, I don't believe in The Man Upstairs, although I have great respect for the beauty and magnificence of what Is.
So what's that got to do with being struck by a meteor? That confuses me.
How do you explain, or deal w/the issue of not being destroyed by some unlucky outside force, or that it might come at any time?

You're a Big Banger, right?
Shit happens?

What are your thoughts?
Okay, I don't believe in The Man Upstairs, although I have great respect for the beauty and magnificence of what Is.
So what's that got to do with being struck by a meteor? That confuses me.
Have you ever stopped to think that you are literally the most complex thing the universe has ever produced?

After studying the physical, biological and moral laws of nature it is obvious to me that the purpose of the universe is to create intelligence. You are literally the pinnacle of creation.

What are your thoughts?

Faith isn’t about the destination. It’s about the journey. And understanding how things are connected and work for good increases one’s enjoyment of the journey.

What are your thoughts?

Well, we believe righteous mankind will live on the earth forever and that earth will be a paradise forever. (Psalms 37:29) We were not created to live in heaven - see 1 Corinthians 15:50.

K-40 dating of Earth's shield rock puts the age of earth's solid crust at c. 4.4 billion years. That being said, with all the CO2 in earth's crustal carbonates - why didn't we end up with an atmosphere of mostly CO2 and an extreme greenhouse effect like on Venus? Why, instead, did earth's primordial waters/oceans remove this CO2 and lock it in earth's crust by the geologic carbon cycle?

All of the many ways that make earth the beautiful home that it still is (though man is ruining it) is reason to praise Jehovah! Who else could have fine tuned our earth so lovingly? (1 John 4:8)

Its not luck - its love - God's love! For other examples of how the earth and universe has been fine tuned, see this article for starters:

Purposeful Design or Mindless Process? — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY

What are your thoughts?
No. It is inevitable that intelligence will arise. Since the very beginning energy has complexified and has not ceased. In fact, SETI searches for intelligent life for this very reason. They literally expect to find it because the nature of the universe is to create beings that know and create.

How? Why?
Because the universe is effectively an intelligence producing machine. It’s not an accident that we exist. The laws of nature preordained it.

They Bible referred to those laws in the book of Job, written about 3500 years ago:

Job 38:33
Do you know the laws governing the heavens,
Or can you impose their* authority on the earth?

But who is the lawgiver?

What are your thoughts?
No. It is inevitable that intelligence will arise. Since the very beginning energy has complexified and has not ceased. In fact, SETI searches for intelligent life for this very reason. They literally expect to find it because the nature of the universe is to create beings that know and create.

Informational molecules do not arise by chance - only statistical molecules arise by chance - and even they are due to the fine tuning of our universe.

The thought that I am among the most lucky of my race (human) to have ever existed does make for fascinating meditation. Where that meditation leads is really the question. We are all too ready to jump to conclusions.
I look about in wonder and try to just let it be, absorb what it could mean, if anything, and just feel a sense of awe and thanksgiving 'despite the real pain and suffering that even I, one of the most lucky, have experienced.
But that is the beauty of the experience. Knowing that no matter how hard one’s existence is it is still a rare and precious gift.

You could have been a rock.

Forum List

Back