How Learning Died in America

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Progressive Education did it. It is the reason why American students fail in international competition.

Education writer Sol Stern explains the reason: 'Progressive Education,' the style inappropriately categorized as education, yet the dominant style in government schools.
It is no wonder that America is faring poorly in educating children, but it is a wonder that the public allows it!

1. " ... PS 87, the famous New York City public school my sons attended from 1987 to 1997.... on Manhattan’s Upper West Side. My wife and I were delighted when our older son was admitted to the school. It had just been ranked byParents magazine as one of the country’s ten best elementary schools—public or private—and the New York Times profiled it as one of the few city schools that middle-class parents still clamored to get their kids into. PS 87 had a reputation for adhering to the “progressive education” ...

a. ... instead of sitting in rows facing the teacher, as I did when I attended the New York City public schools, the children in the early grades sat in circles on a rug and often worked together in groups. I was told that this was the “open classroom” reform, introduced in the 1970s.... I soon received a crash course in educational progressivism.

2. ... the school’s teachers were trained at such citadels of progressive education as Columbia University’s Teachers College and the Bank Street College of Education, where they learned to repeat pleasant-sounding slogans like “teach the child, not the text” and were told that all children are “natural learners.”

3. PS 87 had no coherent, grade-by-grade curriculum. Thus, my son’s third-grade teacher decided on his own to devote months of classroom time to a project on Japanese culture, which included building a Japanese garden. Each day, when my son came home from school, I asked him what he had learned in math. Each day, he happily said the same thing: “We are building the Japanese garden.”

4. .... expressed our concern to the teacher about the lack of direct instruction of mathematical procedures, but he reassured us that constructing the Japanese garden required “real-life” math skills and that there was nothing to worry about. But I worried a lot, and even more so when my son moved up to fourth grade.
His new teacher assigned even more “real-life” math problems, including one that asked students to calculate how many Arawaks were killed by Christopher Columbus in 1492 during his conquest of Hispaniola.

5. PS 87’s children were taught almost nothing about such foundational subjects as the American Revolution, the framing of the Constitution, and the Civil War. I can still vividly recall a conversation with my younger son and several of his classmates when they were in the fourth grade. ... asked what, if anything, they knew about the famous Union commander for whom their school was named. They gave me blank stares.

6. More disturbing was what PS 87’s principal said when I informed him of my conversation with my son and his classmates. “It’s important to learn about the Civil War,” he granted, “but it’s more important to learn how to learn about the Civil War. The state of knowledge is constantly changing, so we have to give children the tools to be able to research these things and, of course, to think critically.”

a. [Progressive educrats] had abandoned common sense in favor of progressive education fads, backed by no evidence, which did more harm than good.

[One can see the results daily in the posts of Leftist members: they believe what they have been told to believe whether there is any evidence for said beliefs, or even when evidence to the contrary is provided. Very progressive!]

7. “The unacceptable failure of our schools has occurred not because our teachers are inept but chiefly because they are compelled to teach a fragmented curriculum based on faulty education theories.”
This didn’t happen by chance or because of professional incompetence, according to Hirsch. Rather it was intended, quite deliberately, by the schools of education. It wasn’t that professors of education favored the wrong curriculum, but that they stood for no curriculum at all. Citing romantic theories of child development going back to Rousseau, the progressives argued that, with just a little assistance from teachers, children would figure it out as they went along. That’s because students were capable of “constructing their own knowledge.”
The Redemption of E. D. Hirsch by Sol Stern - City Journal

The icon of Progressive Education is communist John Dewey.....some coincidence, huh?

With the evidence available, and it continues to pile up year after year, concerned citizens cannot believe that the dismal result is accidental.

Progressives are determined to doom this nation.

Last edited:
Given the garbage you post, PC, it is obvious that learning was never alive for you.

Rocks: what a perfect example of progressive education!!!

Just as I said, evidence is there that American students do poorly in international comparisons....(care to argue that?)....

...yet the only answer to that.....from what I assume is a government school grad- that would be you, Rocks- ...is to pretend that " learning was never alive for you."
My egregious error was....what?... pointing out the truth???

Now.....I do love posts that are entirely about me.....
...but, I don't believe you'd actually want to compare your education with mine....

So..…work hard to free up the congealed gears of your mind…
....cast off the shackles of your progressive education....
...and actually respond to the OP!

Las Vegas oddsmakers have you down as 50 to 1 against your being able to do it!
I'm puttin' a nickel on ya'!!

Last edited:

jonny....
Any math teacher could have inadvertently produced this flawed problem.....
...amazing that it got past checkers.

I get your drift.....but common core, actually, is an answer to the what progressive educrats have been doing to American children.
It is aimed at producing a content rich curriculum.

The fly in the ointment is that progressives are still in charge of writing it.

Here's what happens:

"Common Core 4th grade reading: Obama biography portrays whites as racist"
» Common Core 4th grade reading: Obama biography portrays whites as racist Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Progressives must be culled from education the way the cotton gin culls boll weevils.

Last edited:
Given the garbage you post, PC, it is obvious that learning was never alive for you.

Thank you for proving the OP. I value and cherish your posts as validations of the sabotage of our educational system. We have traded education for indoctrination and rote parroting of Liberal ideas in lieu of any thought process.

Your post is totally devoid of ANY thought and fails to address ANYTHING in the OP, its an ad honimen attack against a poster who never ever just phones in a flaccid reply but puts a great deal of time, attention and thinking into her work.

Your contribution is priceless

indeed. She makes up her own formatting :lol: Just look at her posts. :tinfoil:

\end thread.

Well....look at what turned up!

Another government school grad....proud consequence of progressive education!!!

I must owe you and Rocks some sort of recompense for proving everything the OP said!!!

Bravo!

I don't know if I should take credit for hitting a homerun....

...or if your original ability was pummelled out of you by progressive education.

The USA continues fall behind not just the top tier in education, but to the slacker nations as well. We are creating generations of uneducated, government dependent slugs and the only ones befitting are the Democrat Party and the Teachers Union

Here's how Shanghai is Number 1 in the world

"Teachers call up parents at least fortnightly, they ring them on their mobile to check on how their children are working. They also tell them how to improve their parenting," he says."

BBC News - Shanghai's 'mind boggling' school ambition

My friend Michael Kadish tried the same thing at a public school he was assigned to in the South Bronx, one of the worst schools in the worst neighborhood at a time when the Bronx was crime ridden and dangerous. Several parents nearly fainted when he made the first calls to them to discuss why their kids weren't doing homework or doing substandard work. He'd visit each classroom and get a standing ovation. He didn't last long there though.

He was a complete and total embarrassment to the Educational System. He made a mockery of the all the cheap excuses our sabotaged educational had for why the kids weren't able to learn. Seeing no other option, the Bd of Ed promoted him out of there as soon as they could. The parents protested - the system told them "Fuck you and your loser kids"

We need to demolish the current US educational system by abolishing the teachers Union and dismantling the central board bureaucracy. We don't need more money or better teachers, we need to fire the saboteurs

Last edited:

Thank you for proving the OP. I value and cherish your posts as validations of the sabotage of our educational system. We have traded education for indoctrination and rote parroting of Liberal ideas in lieu of any thought process.

Your post is totally devoid of ANY thought and fails to address ANYTHING in the OP, its an ad honimen attack against a poster who never ever just phones in a flaccid reply but puts a great deal of time, attention and thinking into her work.

I'm sure you noticed that neither of the folks who objected to the view of the OP were willing, or were unable, to accept the challenge to discuss, confront, rebut the OP itself.

Government school grads seem oblivious to their weaknesses.....
...so, not only is progressive education a failure to teach.....but it puts blinders on its victims.

Coulter:
"Let me give you a little tip: if you want liberalism to continue in this country, you have to realize that liberal students are being let down by their professors! They have liberal school teachers, and read the liberal press!

Because of this weak preparation, they are unable to argue, to think beyond the first knee-jerk impulse.

They can’t put together a logical thought. Now, compare that to a college Republican…"

The best they can do is nip at one's heels, like the lap dogs they've become.

I'm sure you noticed that neither of the folks who objected to the view of the OP were willing, or were unable, to accept the challenge to discuss, confront, rebut the OP itself.

...so, not only is progressive education a failure to teach.....but it puts blinders on its victims.

Coulter:
"Let me give you a little tip: if you want liberalism to continue in this country, you have to realize that liberal students are being let down by their professors! They have liberal school teachers, and read the liberal press!

Because of this weak preparation, they are unable to argue, to think beyond the first knee-jerk impulse.

They can’t put together a logical thought. Now, compare that to a college Republican…"

And to think these are the Liberal intellectuals who scribe their ideas with quill pens

USMB has been priceless for exposing the very notion of the "Liberal Intellectual Elite"

Coulter:

And to think these are the Liberal intellectuals who scribe their ideas with quill pens

USMB has been priceless for exposing the very notion of the "Liberal Intellectual Elite"

Sad, too.
The potential of the shining city on the hill.....

8. And the Progressives who claim racial sensitivity....

“By encouraging an early education that is free of ‘unnatural’ bookish knowledge and of ‘inappropriate’ pressure to exert hard effort, [progressive education] virtually ensures that children from well-educated homes who happen to be primed with academically relevant background knowledge which they bring with them to school, will learn faster than disadvantaged children who do not bring such knowledge with them and do not receive it at school.”

9. ... institutions like Teachers College created an “impregnable fortress” of ideas and doctrines, which were then transmitted to future teachers and to the parents who send their children to public schools. “Like any guild that determines who can and cannot enter a profession,” Hirsch wrote, “the citadel of education has developed powerful techniques for preventing outside interference, not least of which is mastery of slogan.” ....

[Here's one that ensures that teachers not be allowed to teach: " Don't be the Sage on the Stage, be the Guide on the Side.”]

[E.D. Hirsch explained that] American schools should offer their students the academic content that they would need to become proficient readers and knowledgeable citizens.

10. Progressive education is not about teaching facts, not about actual knowledge....It's all about social class and multicultural diversity, not making all citizens a part of one great nation with a noble history.

...the nation’s education professors—published an unprecedented attack on Hirsch’s work by Walter Feinberg, a progressive educator. Feinberg’s 8,000-word broadside unintentionally illuminated what progressives believed about the purpose of American schooling. “Hirsch minimizes a history of racial and gender bias as factors in differential educational and economic achievement,” Feinberg wrote. “He dismisses complex theories of social class reproduction, and he demotes the importance of pedagogies that encourage the construction and negotiation of meaning across communities of difference.

He [Hirsch] insists that teachers and the texts are the proper bearers and students the proper recipients of meaning and refuses to understand the importance of meaning as a negotiated product in a multicultural society.”

Since Hirsch supported traditional, content-based education and a rich curriculum, one has to admit that he was guilty as charged. But in this one paragraph Feinberg powerfully confirms the fecklessness of the ed schools."

No Progressives/Liberals have stepped forward to defend the decades of progressive education.

That, in and of itself, is a sign of intelligence!

11. Hirsch wasn’t deterred by the education professors’ attacks. He continued exposing the utter lack of scientific validity in the progressives’ pedagogical principles.

Hirsch spent the better part of the decade after writing Cultural Literacy mastering the findings of neurobiology, cognitive psychology, and psycholinguistics, seeking to determine which classroom methods best promote student learning. In The Knowledge Deficit (2006), Hirsch cited the overwhelming scientific consensus supporting his theory linking students’ background knowledge to their achievement in reading comprehension.

12. ...a rich curriculum is essential for citizenship in our ethnically diverse democracy.
The Founders relied on the common schools for imparting the virtues and knowledge that would keep the new republic intact.
The best way to do that was to teach the same grade-by-grade curriculum to each child.
Thomas Jefferson even proposed a common curriculum, so that children’s “memories may here be stored with the most useful facts from Grecian, Roman, European, and American history.”

13. Tragically, the Founders’ republican principles are not in safe educational hands today. Few teachers-in-training learn that the purpose of schooling in America is to create knowledgeable, civic-minded citizens, as Jefferson envisioned.

Rather, in their ed-school courses, they often learn that it is acceptable to use the classroom to undermine the Founders’ ideals and turn children into champions of “social justice”—as defined by their leftist education professors."
Ibid.

Until Progressives are banned from any hand in education, our children will never be safe, nor informed.

Sad. When I was in school we were 1st in science and 2nd in math. Now we are 23rd and 27th. And that tells the libs nothing except throw more money at it. My wife is a first grade teacher. I help grade papers every evening. It's fascinating to watch the kids progress in math and reading through the year. She also told me an interesting tidbit. Here in North Carolina they determine the prison bed need by the number of kids who fail their 3rd grade end of grade tests. True story.

Coulter:

Yeah, but they got LOTS of these!

vm276-2.jpg

participation-300x194.jpg

Last edited:
Another junk post from a junk collector.
Generalization does not make a good argument but if it fits your small world, keep running with it.

Progressive Education did it. It is the reason why American students fail in international competition.

Education writer Sol Stern explains the reason: 'Progressive Education,' the style inappropriately categorized as education, yet the dominant style in government schools.
It is no wonder that America is faring poorly in educating children, but it is a wonder that the public allows it!

1. " ... PS 87, the famous New York City public school my sons attended from 1987 to 1997.... on Manhattan’s Upper West Side. My wife and I were delighted when our older son was admitted to the school. It had just been ranked byParents magazine as one of the country’s ten best elementary schools—public or private—and the New York Times profiled it as one of the few city schools that middle-class parents still clamored to get their kids into. PS 87 had a reputation for adhering to the “progressive education” ...

a. ... instead of sitting in rows facing the teacher, as I did when I attended the New York City public schools, the children in the early grades sat in circles on a rug and often worked together in groups. I was told that this was the “open classroom” reform, introduced in the 1970s.... I soon received a crash course in educational progressivism.

2. ... the school’s teachers were trained at such citadels of progressive education as Columbia University’s Teachers College and the Bank Street College of Education, where they learned to repeat pleasant-sounding slogans like “teach the child, not the text” and were told that all children are “natural learners.”

3. PS 87 had no coherent, grade-by-grade curriculum. Thus, my son’s third-grade teacher decided on his own to devote months of classroom time to a project on Japanese culture, which included building a Japanese garden. Each day, when my son came home from school, I asked him what he had learned in math. Each day, he happily said the same thing: “We are building the Japanese garden.”

4. .... expressed our concern to the teacher about the lack of direct instruction of mathematical procedures, but he reassured us that constructing the Japanese garden required “real-life” math skills and that there was nothing to worry about. But I worried a lot, and even more so when my son moved up to fourth grade.
His new teacher assigned even more “real-life” math problems, including one that asked students to calculate how many Arawaks were killed by Christopher Columbus in 1492 during his conquest of Hispaniola.

5. PS 87’s children were taught almost nothing about such foundational subjects as the American Revolution, the framing of the Constitution, and the Civil War. I can still vividly recall a conversation with my younger son and several of his classmates when they were in the fourth grade. ... asked what, if anything, they knew about the famous Union commander for whom their school was named. They gave me blank stares.

6. More disturbing was what PS 87’s principal said when I informed him of my conversation with my son and his classmates. “It’s important to learn about the Civil War,” he granted, “but it’s more important to learn how to learn about the Civil War. The state of knowledge is constantly changing, so we have to give children the tools to be able to research these things and, of course, to think critically.”

a. [Progressive educrats] had abandoned common sense in favor of progressive education fads, backed by no evidence, which did more harm than good.

[One can see the results daily in the posts of Leftist members: they believe what they have been told to believe whether there is any evidence for said beliefs, or even when evidence to the contrary is provided. Very progressive!]

7. “The unacceptable failure of our schools has occurred not because our teachers are inept but chiefly because they are compelled to teach a fragmented curriculum based on faulty education theories.”
This didn’t happen by chance or because of professional incompetence, according to Hirsch. Rather it was intended, quite deliberately, by the schools of education. It wasn’t that professors of education favored the wrong curriculum, but that they stood for no curriculum at all. Citing romantic theories of child development going back to Rousseau, the progressives argued that, with just a little assistance from teachers, children would figure it out as they went along. That’s because students were capable of “constructing their own knowledge.”

The icon of Progressive Education is communist John Dewey.....some coincidence, huh?

With the evidence available, and it continues to pile up year after year, concerned citizens cannot believe that the dismal result is accidental.

Another junk post from a junk collector.
Generalization does not make a good argument but if it fits your small world, keep running with it.

"Generalization does not make a good argument but if it fits your small world, keep running with it."

I love it.

Dunces like you should remember not to open your mouths except to change feet.

Question:
Where are your SPECIFIC objections to the OP?

You have none!

You just provided a GENERALIZATION, you fool!

Forum List

Back