How do you cook your steaks?

I do them in 2 ways.
With both ways, I put the meat in the freezer for about 30 minutes before cooking. If you use a liquid marinade, wipe it off before putting it in the freezer. "room temp" is old school.
1 - Grill. I use lump charcoal as it is a lot hotter than charcoal. I move all the charcoal to one side. A couple minutes on both sides over the coal, and a few minutes on the side. I like to sear it, then heat the middle.
I have found that rubbing them with olive oil or butter during the searing process is about the best thing you can do. I used butter sat night with some creole in it. AMAZING
I usually just use salt, pepper a touch of oil and maybe some creole. That's it. I might re-salt after freezing.
2. Pan sear and broil
Same rub. I sear them on high with a touch of oil for a couple minutes on both sides. Then broil the hek out of them until desired temp is reached.
IMO, searing is the most important. That's why I freeze them.

I do it one way. I pick up the phone and make reservations. I grab my keys and get in my car and drive to the steak house. Rare. I want to kill it as it tries to leave the plate rare.

I cannot cook a good steak to save my life. I can't. I may break down and buy a grill this summer. And then, I will be up here flipping out trying to get tips.

I do ribeye under the broiler on low with an aluminum foil snake to hold the door ajar about 1/2 an inch (to keep the broiler on).

Aluminum foil snake.png

Think of it as grilling, but upside down.​

From 3/4 to 1 inch thick room temp ribeye...Dry 'em, salt and pepper to taste (a little rosemary if you like it) and slap them on an oiled cookie sheet...position the oven rack to place your steaks 6 to 8 inches from the broiler....4-6 minutes on the first side, 3-5 on the second for rare to medium rare. Use the poke method to check for doneness.

Pull them off the cookie sheet and onto a plate and tent them with tin foil for at least 7 minutes.

Add a pat of butter or a drizzle of olive oil to the top and serve.

Alton Brown has a video on this, as do others...best method I've found for indoor steaks. You can even get a decent sear by kicking the broiler to high for the first minute on each side.

I also like the technique Bobby Flay has been using. Sear the steak in a hot cast iron skillet, slice it into strips, put the strips back together on the bone with a pat of butter on each strip, then into the broiler to finish.

ahh spoken like a foodie wanna be....honey....filet are basically tasteless...you do know that....they are tender hell yes and forgive a lot but as far as taste....not there.....

fat is what makes the steak.....steaks are just like women....you want a little fat on them....
Filet isn't very flavorful. That's why they are often wrapped in bacon. Bacon will make anything taste good.

I agree. They are tender but not very flavorful at all. You need the fat and the bone to make it tasty.

I do them in 2 ways.
With both ways, I put the meat in the freezer for about 30 minutes before cooking. If you use a liquid marinade, wipe it off before putting it in the freezer. "room temp" is old school.
1 - Grill. I use lump charcoal as it is a lot hotter than charcoal. I move all the charcoal to one side. A couple minutes on both sides over the coal, and a few minutes on the side. I like to sear it, then heat the middle.
I have found that rubbing them with olive oil or butter during the searing process is about the best thing you can do. I used butter sat night with some creole in it. AMAZING
I usually just use salt, pepper a touch of oil and maybe some creole. That's it. I might re-salt after freezing.
2. Pan sear and broil
Same rub. I sear them on high with a touch of oil for a couple minutes on both sides. Then broil the hek out of them until desired temp is reached.
IMO, searing is the most important. That's why I freeze them.

toeeVXs.jpg

I've been wanting to try this.....

I watch his show too. I love Food Network and The Cooking Channel. You can get great tips and ideas.

The wife and I decided to try Plated,in fact our first three day menu is arriving tomorrow.
We've been stuck in a rut as far as cooking goes so we thought it might be an easy way to branch out and try some new recipes with out the hassle.
My only concern is the quality of the ingredients. I guess I'll find out...tomorrow night is Salmon burgers with Chive Aioli and Mache.

I watch his show too. I love Food Network and The Cooking Channel. You can get great tips and ideas.

The wife and I decided to try Plated,in fact our first three day menu is arriving tomorrow.
We've been stuck in a rut as far as cooking goes so we thought it might be an easy way to branch out and try some new recipes with out the hassle.
My only concern is the quality of the ingredients. I guess I'll find out...tomorrow night is Salmon burgers with Chive Aioli and Mache.

I've never heard of Plated. A food delivery service?

I've never heard of Plated. A food delivery service?

Yes,it's the same thing as Blue Apron but it's supposed to be of higher quality.
Weekly Menu - Plated

rib eye of course......i love a good rib eye
rib eye is my second favorite. But I hate the fat
Filet is my fav when I can afford it lol

Yep. I buy the entire tenderloin when those go on sale, butcher them and take them out as needed. This allows me to save some cash as well as cut them to the size/thickness I like and remove the silver skin etc.

In terms of cooking them, I go with the cast iron skillet method. I don't know if anyone has touched on it here, but you take the skillet, throw it in the oven, preheat the oven to 500 degrees, pull the pan out, sear the filets on high heat for a couple of minutes per side throw them back in the oven for 5-8 minutes then sit them to rest for a few minutes.

See the sear roasting technique here:
Perfect Cabernet Filet Mignon Steak Recipe, Whats Cooking America

Perfect every time, especially when butchering them yourself as this allows you to control the thickness and get your perfect time down.

Sides? Creamed spinach and button mushrooms.

These mushrooms are a bit of a PITA but they're worth it. Follow the instructions to the letter and these are delish.

Michael's Best Button Mushrooms : Michael Chiarello : Food Network

I like to do a wedge salad with this one. The dressing you have to make in the morning or the day before, but I mix huge batches of this stuff and bottle it in an old dressing bottle so we have it on hand and the rest is simple and fast. I don't bother with the hard boiled eggs and add some red wine vinegar to taste for a little tang.

Morton's Steakhouse Copycat Recipes: Wedge Salad

I cooked this exact meal yesterday with a bottle of excellent cab.

Burp.

Yep. I buy the entire tenderloin when those go on sale, butcher them and take them out as needed. This allows me to save some cash as well as cut them to the size/thickness I like and remove the silver skin etc.

In terms of cooking them, I go with the cast iron skillet method. I don't know if anyone has touched on it here, but you take the skillet, throw it in the oven, preheat the oven to 500 degrees, pull the pan out, sear the filets on high heat for a couple of minutes per side throw them back in the oven for 5-8 minutes then sit them to rest for a few minutes.

Perfect every time, especially when butchering them yourself as this allows you to control the thickness and get your perfect time down.

These mushrooms are a bit of a PITA but they're worth it. Follow the instructions to the letter and these are delish.

I like to do a wedge salad with this one. The dressing you have to make in the morning or the day before, but I mix huge batches of this stuff and bottle it in an old dressing bottle so we have it on hand and the rest is simple and fast. I don't bother with the hard boiled eggs and add some red wine vinegar to taste for a little tang.

Burp.

You actually freeze Filet Mignon?

Burp.

When I buy the entire tenderloin some ends up frozen. Normally I'll cut the roast off and either prepare that same day or freeze it and prepare it with a blue cheese sauce when its time comes, and cut the rest of the filets into ~2" thick slices. These are for everyday type consumption, as was done yesterday. When thawed we lose some juice but really they are still very good or I wouldn't continue to do it.

When I buy prime aged filets for a special occasion or something, then of course not.

Burp.

When I buy the entire tenderloin some ends up frozen. Normally I'll cut the roast off and either prepare that same day or freeze it and prepare it with a blue cheese sauce when its time comes, and cut the rest of the filets into ~2" thick slices. These are for everyday type consumption, as was done yesterday. When thawed we lose some juice but really they are still very good or I wouldn't continue to do it.

When I buy prime aged filets for a special occasion or something, then of course not.

A whole beef tender loin will run you around a hundred bucks.
No way would I freeze it. I suppose if I lived 50 miles from the nearest butcher I might consider it but as it is it's to easy to drive a few miles and buy it when I need it.

Burp.

A whole beef tender loin will run you around a hundred bucks.
No way would I freeze it. I suppose if I lived 50 miles from the nearest butcher I might consider it but as it is it's to easy to drive a few miles and buy it when I need it.

Not when they go on sale for about $6-7/lb. More like 30-40, maaaaybe 50 bucks for the entire thing, depending on weight obviously, and we'll get several meals from it.

It works for me in that it puts some easy meals in the freezer at a good price and also in that it allows me to butcher them uniformly to standardize my procedure, so my results are uniform, eliminating the guesswork from the cooking time/doneness aspect. Right on the screws exactly how we like them each and every time.

Everyone's got their own thing. No worries if this doesn't float your boat.

Forum List

Back