How do you cook your steaks?

I'm going to roast a leg of lamb in the oven on Holy Thursday before Easter (in 3 days from now) which will take several hours.

I usually coat slabs of meat like that in olive oil, then salt and pepper it rather thickly.
I grilled a leg once. I used rosemary and it was fucking gross. No more rosemary on lamb! LOL
Mint.

And if you're going to grill lamb, you need to have a killer marinade. I would probably have taken it off the bone and made kebobs.
Sometimes I take it off the bone and make small steaks and a sauce out of red wine.
Eastern Oregon has a couple big sheep ranches, and lots of Basques. One of the ooold Basque sheepherding families started running a Basque Barbecue catering/mobile business. They set up at Round Up every year and went hither and yon, and also catered events...like all the Round-Up events and many weddings and fundraisers.

My ex and his family spent years working for him, in return for a slaughtered lamb or two each year and tip money. So they had the marinade down. Nom nom nom nom

I'm going to roast a leg of lamb in the oven on Holy Thursday before Easter (in 3 days from now) which will take several hours.

I usually coat slabs of meat like that in olive oil, then salt and pepper it rather thickly.
I grilled a leg once. I used rosemary and it was fucking gross. No more rosemary on lamb! LOL
Mint.

And if you're going to grill lamb, you need to have a killer marinade. I would probably have taken it off the bone and made kebobs.
you know, I thought about that. But it seems like more of a challenge with the bone in. That's really the only reason I bought it. 30 dollar experiment.... lol

Leg is a tough bit. If you don't kebob it, probably the way to cook is very low and slow, indirect heat, I happen to like rosemary but don't know if I've had it on lamb...I don't actually know what the basque barbecuers used because I never did the marinade, my ex did. It had wine, vinegar, garlic, I think johnny salt, and I don't know what else. salt and pepper, more wine...lots of wine. In the marinade and in the cup!

I pick out whatever steak looks good wherever I may be, if and only if it looks good.

Then I sprinkle with a bit of sour Orange juice, dice up peeled garlic cloves, salt and pepper and stick in bottom of fridge for 2-4 days.

For cooking, it's either on the grill with whatever wood I have, (Oak, Citrus, Hickory)

or hehehe, George Foreman grill, medium rare.

I've made Chuck steaks that melted in the mouth.

An old butcher man taught me how to look for the marbling.
I have never even considered chuck steaks. People have told me if you can cook them right, you will be satisfied. Almost as much as your wallet!

When I go, I'm generally not looking at the cut. I don't care if it's T-bone, Chuck, NY strip, Porterhouse, or (favorite is Ribeye).

I never go for filets.

Mint.

you know, I thought about that. But it seems like more of a challenge with the bone in. That's really the only reason I bought it. 30 dollar experiment.... lol

Leg is a tough bit. If you don't kebob it, probably the way to cook is very low and slow, indirect heat, I happen to like rosemary but don't know if I've had it on lamb...I don't actually know what the basque barbecuers used because I never did the marinade, my ex did. It had wine, vinegar, garlic, I think johnny salt, and I don't know what else. salt and pepper, more wine...lots of wine. In the marinade and in the cup!
I think I used wine for the marinade but I cant remember if it was red or white.
The rosemary gave it this flavor that.... well I cant even describe it. We actually gave about half to the dog lol.
And I love rosemary!

Mint.

I think I used wine for the marinade but I cant remember if it was red or white.
The rosemary gave it this flavor that.... well I cant even describe it. We actually gave about half to the dog lol.
And I love rosemary!
dogs love rosemary too, though I'm not sure they eat it.

My dogs tear my rosemary all up because they like to stand on and sleep in/on it.

Red wine for the marinade, but the vinegar was key.

And there might have been some sugar in there. I feel like an idiot for never getting him pinned down on it. I'm sure it's because their lives were threatened if they told anybody, after 30 years it just becomes second nature.

Chuck steak is good if you pound it unmercifully, bread it and fry it.

Also good cut into strips, salted, peppered, floured, seared and then stuck in tomato onions and pepper sauce for swiss steak!

I pick out whatever steak looks good wherever I may be, if and only if it looks good.

Then I sprinkle with a bit of sour Orange juice, dice up peeled garlic cloves, salt and pepper and stick in bottom of fridge for 2-4 days.

For cooking, it's either on the grill with whatever wood I have, (Oak, Citrus, Hickory)

I have never even considered chuck steaks. People have told me if you can cook them right, you will be satisfied. Almost as much as your wallet!

You need one of these if you're looking to turn a pigs ear into a silk purse.

upload_2017-4-10_16-12-20.png

You can make even the toughest meat tender.

View attachment 121217

pressure cooker?

View attachment 121217

pressure cooker?

Sous vide.
It holds the meat at a precise temp. The longer it stays in the bath the more tender the meat becomes. You can actually over do it and the meat gets to tender.
When done you sear the meat on a hot skillet or grill,some use a propane torch but I get better results with the searing station on my gas grill or a good and hot cast iron skillet.

What is Sous Vide? | Everything You Need To Know | Anova Culinary

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-10_16-26-12.png
    upload_2017-4-10_16-26-12.png
    399.2 KB · Views: 33
Well first and foremost no matter how you cook it - everything begins with the quality of the meat.
If you are buying packages at a grocery chain...you might as well microwave it.
Go to a quality butcher, nothing offered at a grocery chain is going to get it.
And then get a porterhouse or T-bone.
Secondly, if your steak is of high quality you DO NOT need to marinate, in fact that only ruins it. If your steak is relatively tasteless, then it isn't the spices/marinate - it is the poor quality of the meat. If your steak is not fork-tear tender, then you are cooking it wrong or, more likely, it is again poor quality meat.

Well first and foremost no matter how you cook it - everything begins with the quality of the meat.
Secondly, if your steak is of high quality you DO NOT need to marinate, in fact that only ruins it. If your steak is relatively tasteless, then it isn't the spices/marinate - it is the poor quality of the meat. If your steak is not fork-tear tender, then you are cooking it wrong or, more likely, it is again poor quality meat.
a good steak only needs salt and maybe pepper. But it DEFINATELY needs salt.
Good steaks don't need marinade or A1 sauce.

Absolutely, I liberally salt and pepper and rub in with olive oil.
I pan sear mine, I do not grill. IMO - probably the worst way to cook a steak. The fat drippings are lost, direct flames is a very dry heat and you cannot sear it.
Pan fried is the way to go. I also finish the steak by melting butter in the pan, tip the pan up and spoon on the butter over the top several times, flip, do the 2nd side and take out to rest, then serve.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I get my steaks from the grocery store and there is nothing wrong with them. I don't have to marinate them or anything. I love food too, but there is no need to be such a food snob. Besides that, not everyone can afford to buy steaks at the butcher shop.

Skirt steak replies well to a good marinade, but for Sirloin and better, nah, just salt pepper and maybe some olive oil.

Absolutely, I liberally salt and pepper and rub in with olive oil.
I pan sear mine, I do not grill. IMO - probably the worst way to cook a steak. The fat drippings are lost, direct flames is a very dry heat and you cannot sear it.
Pan fried is the way to go. I also finish the steak by melting butter in the pan, tip the pan up and spoon on the butter over the top several times, flip, do the 2nd side and take out to rest, then serve.
[/QUOTE]
I cant agree with the grill. My chargrill charcoal tray has adjustable settings. You put those coals 3" form the meat and they are going to turn out awesome

I get my steaks from the grocery store and there is nothing wrong with them. I don't have to marinate them or anything. I love food too, but there is no need to be such a food snob. Besides that, not everyone can afford to buy steaks at the butcher shop.
Rib eyes at local grocery store run around 8 bucks a pound. Regular price at the butcher store in the next town is 11 bucks a pound. adds up quick for a family.

Tonight I will oven-roast my 6 sirloin lamb steaks coated in olive oil sea salt, and ground black pepper uncovered in a Pyrex baking dish.

This will be my Catholic Holy Thursday dinner before evening Mass at the Parish church.

After 10 mins broiling them on either side I will then turn the heat down and roast them slow for another hour so they're tender and can be cut with a fork.

My cat does not know it yet but he will get the raw trimmings from the steaks.

Forum List

Back