Meatloaf Without Dried Onions?

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
Maybe it's just because I'm used to it as being an old family recipe but up until now I've always had it with dried onions in it but now I want to try making it without the onions as I've never really been a big fan of that part anyways as I'm definitely not an onion eater.

I was just wondering how other people on here make meatloaf and if it does much to the taste without the dried onions added in there as I'm making it for company on Wednesday night dinner and they're good with no onions if I decide not to make it with them in there.

No self-respecting meatloaf maker uses dried onions.

Why not? I mean I'm not a big fan of them but it doesn't taste horrible and I've been eating it like that ever since I was a kid.

Maybe it's just because I'm used to it as being an old family recipe but up until now I've always had it with dried onions in it but now I want to try making it without the onions as I've never really been a big fan of that part anyways as I'm definitely not an onion eater.

I was just wondering how other people on here make meatloaf and if it does much to the taste without the dried onions added in there as I'm making it for company on Wednesday night dinner and they're good with no onions if I decide not to make it with them in there.
I haven't had meatloaf in decades.

Why not? I mean I'm not a big fan of them but it doesn't taste horrible and I've been eating it like that ever since I was a kid.
Shortcuts like dried onions always produce substandard fare.....I like onions so I use a finely minced yellow onion. Others might prefer a Sweet onion.

Reconstitute a spoonful of dried onions and taste them and you will see the difference.....It's what Mickey Ds uses on their substandard burgers.

Honestly - never had dried onions on meatloaf in my life.

I don't think "but it doesn't taste horrible" is a good reason to use them in your recipe (even if handed down for generations)

You might like it better with fresh onions instead of dried. I make my dad's recipe: fresh onions, garlic, mushrooms, bread crumbs, tomato sauce, eggs, parsley, salt and pep. For special occasions, I put slices of bacon on top. Yum.

I don't think "but it doesn't taste horrible" is a good reason to use them in your recipe (even if handed down for generations)
This....My mom was a fair cook but her meatloaf pretty much sucked. She could not fry chicken worth a shit either.

LOL when she passed I found her recipe book.....I might have kept 4 or 5 recipes....I did find her "dump cobbler" corn pudding recipes which are excellent.

Apologies in advance, I can't resist: are the three meats possum, raccoon and squirrel?

Sorry.
LOL Sorry to say I've never even tried any of those. Actually, I've never had rabbit either.

This....My mom was a fair cook but her meatloaf pretty much sucked. She could not fry chicken worth a shit either.

LOL when she passed I found her recipe book.....I might have kept 4 or 5 recipes....I did find her "dump cobbler" corn pudding recipes which are excellent.
Dad did all the cooking growing up. Mom had a few (very few) things should could put together. Dad's meatloaf was OK, but a bit dry.

Apologies in advance, I can't resist: are the three meats possum, raccoon and squirrel?

Sorry.
Ever had racoon?

They used to have a racoon feast in my AO where the trappers would save young coons.

I remember they would lay out a bed of stale bread in a huge pan about four slices deep, place the seasoned coon segments on the bread bed and bake.

The bread absorbed the coon grease then they would remove the parts/toss the grease soaked bread and cook till tender in red wine.

About all I could say for it was it was better than bear.

Of course they always had deer and plenty of fixins and such so that's what I ate.

It was a good time, lots of great stories were told when they got liquored up some.

Ever had racoon?

They used to have a racoon feast in my AO where the trappers would save young coons.

I remember they would lay out a bed of stale bread in a huge pan about four slices deep, place the seasoned coon segments on the bread bed and bake.

The bread absorbed the coon grease then they would remove the parts/toss the grease soaked bread and cook till tender in red wine.

About all I could say for it was it was better than bear.

Of course they always had deer and plenty of fixins and such so that's what I ate.

It was a good time, lots of great stories were told when they got liquored up some.

It sounds interesting, but I don't think I'd want to try it....or bear. But if civilization collapses and we are reduced to eating varmints, I'll have to reconsider.

Forum List

Back