How do you cook your steaks?

We wanted to buy 1/2 cow a few years ago, so my wife got in touch with a local farmer just to get prices. Apparently, he misunderstood something, because 2 weeks later he was on the phone telling us the cow was at the butcher's. We wanted it anyway, so we went ahead and bought the meat. There is nothing better than a freezer full of enough steaks, roasts, and hamburger to last a year. Plus, since it's local, you can see where and how the cow was raised so you know what you're getting.

Next major project, put a whole pig in the smoker and call a lot of friends.

rib eye is my second favorite. But I hate the fat
Filet is my fav when I can afford it lol

Yep. I buy the entire tenderloin when those go on sale, butcher them and take them out as needed. This allows me to save some cash as well as cut them to the size/thickness I like and remove the silver skin etc.

In terms of cooking them, I go with the cast iron skillet method. I don't know if anyone has touched on it here, but you take the skillet, throw it in the oven, preheat the oven to 500 degrees, pull the pan out, sear the filets on high heat for a couple of minutes per side throw them back in the oven for 5-8 minutes then sit them to rest for a few minutes.

See the sear roasting technique here:
Perfect Cabernet Filet Mignon Steak Recipe, Whats Cooking America

Perfect every time, especially when butchering them yourself as this allows you to control the thickness and get your perfect time down.

Sides? Creamed spinach and button mushrooms.

These mushrooms are a bit of a PITA but they're worth it. Follow the instructions to the letter and these are delish.

Michael's Best Button Mushrooms : Michael Chiarello : Food Network

I like to do a wedge salad with this one. The dressing you have to make in the morning or the day before, but I mix huge batches of this stuff and bottle it in an old dressing bottle so we have it on hand and the rest is simple and fast. I don't bother with the hard boiled eggs and add some red wine vinegar to taste for a little tang.

Morton's Steakhouse Copycat Recipes: Wedge Salad

I cooked this exact meal yesterday with a bottle of excellent cab.

Burp.

You actually freeze Filet Mignon?

When I buy the entire tenderloin some ends up frozen. Normally I'll cut the roast off and either prepare that same day or freeze it and prepare it with a blue cheese sauce when its time comes, and cut the rest of the filets into ~2" thick slices. These are for everyday type consumption, as was done yesterday. When thawed we lose some juice but really they are still very good or I wouldn't continue to do it.

When I buy prime aged filets for a special occasion or something, then of course not.

A whole beef tender loin will run you around a hundred bucks.
No way would I freeze it. I suppose if I lived 50 miles from the nearest butcher I might consider it but as it is it's to easy to drive a few miles and buy it when I need it.

Not when they go on sale for about $6-7/lb. More like 30-40, maaaaybe 50 bucks for the entire thing, depending on weight obviously, and we'll get several meals from it.

It works for me in that it puts some easy meals in the freezer at a good price and also in that it allows me to butcher them uniformly to standardize my procedure, so my results are uniform, eliminating the guesswork from the cooking time/doneness aspect. Right on the screws exactly how we like them each and every time.

Everyone's got their own thing. No worries if this doesn't float your boat.
6-7 bucks a pound? Lucky
Hell, when Strips go on sale here they are 7 bucks a pound lol.

Yep. I buy the entire tenderloin when those go on sale, butcher them and take them out as needed. This allows me to save some cash as well as cut them to the size/thickness I like and remove the silver skin etc.

In terms of cooking them, I go with the cast iron skillet method. I don't know if anyone has touched on it here, but you take the skillet, throw it in the oven, preheat the oven to 500 degrees, pull the pan out, sear the filets on high heat for a couple of minutes per side throw them back in the oven for 5-8 minutes then sit them to rest for a few minutes.

See the sear roasting technique here:
Perfect Cabernet Filet Mignon Steak Recipe, Whats Cooking America

Perfect every time, especially when butchering them yourself as this allows you to control the thickness and get your perfect time down.

Sides? Creamed spinach and button mushrooms.

These mushrooms are a bit of a PITA but they're worth it. Follow the instructions to the letter and these are delish.

Michael's Best Button Mushrooms : Michael Chiarello : Food Network

I like to do a wedge salad with this one. The dressing you have to make in the morning or the day before, but I mix huge batches of this stuff and bottle it in an old dressing bottle so we have it on hand and the rest is simple and fast. I don't bother with the hard boiled eggs and add some red wine vinegar to taste for a little tang.

Morton's Steakhouse Copycat Recipes: Wedge Salad

I cooked this exact meal yesterday with a bottle of excellent cab.

Burp.

You actually freeze Filet Mignon?

When I buy the entire tenderloin some ends up frozen. Normally I'll cut the roast off and either prepare that same day or freeze it and prepare it with a blue cheese sauce when its time comes, and cut the rest of the filets into ~2" thick slices. These are for everyday type consumption, as was done yesterday. When thawed we lose some juice but really they are still very good or I wouldn't continue to do it.

When I buy prime aged filets for a special occasion or something, then of course not.

A whole beef tender loin will run you around a hundred bucks.
No way would I freeze it. I suppose if I lived 50 miles from the nearest butcher I might consider it but as it is it's to easy to drive a few miles and buy it when I need it.

Not when they go on sale for about $6-7/lb. More like 30-40, maaaaybe 50 bucks for the entire thing, depending on weight obviously, and we'll get several meals from it.

It works for me in that it puts some easy meals in the freezer at a good price and also in that it allows me to butcher them uniformly to standardize my procedure, so my results are uniform, eliminating the guesswork from the cooking time/doneness aspect. Right on the screws exactly how we like them each and every time.

Everyone's got their own thing. No worries if this doesn't float your boat.
6-7 bucks a pound? Lucky
Hell, when Strips go on sale here they are 7 bucks a pound lol.

I know it. We've got two local chains, Caputo's and Valli Produce, that do this a few times a year. I wait and jump on it like a spider when we're low and that hits the sale paper.

They do the same with rib roast. I like buy those and cut the steaks directly from it myself. For those that haven't done that, do it. Simply delicious. I think because they haven't had the chance to bleed out as much as the already cut versions, although I could be wrong I guess.

For real prime aged stuff I truck into Chicago to a butcher, butcher. Olympia meats. They've got some delicious stuff. Expensive but really good. We sometimes get a special ground mix for burgers there also, which, BTW are also best done in a skillet, IMO, as grilling dries em out.

If you want to load up Chicago-style, you can also swing by the Vienna Beef store for some natural casing hot dogs, which are the only way to fly for a real hot dog, although the devil's in the details on those......and now you've got the makings of a serious BBQ.....

We have a meat market a few towns over. It is pretty expensive though, so I only go there to buy on special occasions. Normally I just buy my steaks and stuff from the supermarket.

So, I whipped up a rib roast over the weekend and this thread came to mind.

The difference for this was in the prep and cook temp. you trim the fat, dry brine it, and tie it up so it's like a tube, stick some rub on it then throw it on the grill @220 for a couple of hours.

And OMFG. Best prime rib I've ever done personally and competitive with a restaurant quality. And I shit you not. This is the new method in Chateau De Fueri.

Recipe/procedure is here:

amazingribs.com

Follow the directions, giving yourself a day or two ahead of cook time for dry brining, and you are going to be very happy indeed.

This method takes the fattiness out and leaves you with pure delishness.

Tying it up into a uniform circumference and the low and slow method gives you medium rare throughout instead of just in the middle and the herb rub forms a nice crust which is amazing in little bites with the meat.

The only thing I did differently was that I used fresh rosemary and oregano in the rub (we don't like thyme, but if you do, use it instead of the oregano) and mixed the whole dry rub mixture with a bit of water to let the flavors move around a bit before I applied it to the meat.

rub recipe is here:

amazingribs.com

nom, nom, nom....

The difference for this was in the prep and cook temp. you trim the fat, dry brine it, and tie it up so it's like a tube, stick some rub on it then throw it on the grill @220 for a couple of hours.

And OMFG. Best prime rib I've ever done personally and competitive with a restaurant quality. And I shit you not. This is the new method in Chateau De Fueri.

amazingribs.com

Follow the directions, giving yourself a day or two ahead of cook time for dry brining, and you are going to be very happy indeed.

Tying it up into a uniform circumference and the low and slow method gives you medium rare throughout instead of just in the middle and the herb rub forms a nice crust which is amazing in little bites with the meat.

The only thing I did differently was that I used fresh rosemary and oregano in the rub (we don't like thyme, but if you do, use it instead of the oregano) and mixed the whole dry rub mixture with a bit of water to let the flavors move around a bit before I applied it to the meat.

rub recipe is here:

amazingribs.com

nom, nom, nom....
I have never brined anything until this weekend. Did a turkey breast. Most tender turkey I ever had. I shit you not. It was wet brine, though..(Weatherman2020)
That sounds amazing and just about the exact rub I use for my prime rib.
I don't do all that extra though. I just rub it with herbs and a bit of olive oil and smoke it for about 15 minutes or so. I also use a drip pan for the au ju. And mix in a little red wine and beef broth in with it. Oh, and I mix the trimmed fat in it too.
Its all timing IMO. And low, consistent heat. I get a perfect pink throughout the whole slab of meat.
Of course, I haven't done a roast that's over 4lbs. That could have some effect on it.

I do them in 2 ways.
With both ways, I put the meat in the freezer for about 30 minutes before cooking. If you use a liquid marinade, wipe it off before putting it in the freezer. "room temp" is old school.
1 - Grill. I use lump charcoal as it is a lot hotter than charcoal. I move all the charcoal to one side. A couple minutes on both sides over the coal, and a few minutes on the side. I like to sear it, then heat the middle.
I have found that rubbing them with olive oil or butter during the searing process is about the best thing you can do. I used butter sat night with some creole in it. AMAZING
I usually just use salt, pepper a touch of oil and maybe some creole. That's it. I might re-salt after freezing.
2. Pan sear and broil
Same rub. I sear them on high with a touch of oil for a couple minutes on both sides. Then broil the hek out of them until desired temp is reached.
IMO, searing is the most important. That's why I freeze them.
Old thread and still very popular.

With springtime here and summertime approaching the bbq season will begin again.

I normally buy thin sliced steaks and pan sear them on the stovetop until they are well cooked.

Then I drown them in A-1 sauce.

amazingribs.com

rub recipe is here:

amazingribs.com

nom, nom, nom....
I have never brined anything until this weekend. Did a turkey breast. Most tender turkey I ever had. I shit you not. It was wet brine, though..(Weatherman2020)
I don't do all that extra though. I just rub it with herbs and a bit of olive oil and smoke it for about 15 minutes or so. I also use a drip pan for the au ju. And mix in a little red wine and beef broth in with it. Oh, and I mix the trimmed fat in it too.
Its all timing IMO. And low, consistent heat. I get a perfect pink throughout the whole slab of meat.
Of course, I haven't done a roast that's over 4lbs. That could have some effect on it.
A wet brine is what I do for smoking also, should have mentioned it.

amazingribs.com

rub recipe is here:

amazingribs.com

nom, nom, nom....
For a thick slab of meat you do really need to cook it for a very long time so that it becomes tender.

I use a roasting oven for that, about 400F to brown it on the outside for about 1 hour, then 200F for the next several hours after that, until tender or however the guests want it.

I'm going to roast a leg of lamb in the oven on Holy Thursday before Easter (in 3 days from now) which will take several hours.

I usually coat slabs of meat like that in olive oil, then salt and pepper it rather thickly.

amazingribs.com

rub recipe is here:

amazingribs.com

nom, nom, nom....
A wet brine is what I do for smoking also, should have mentioned it.
I did mostly salt water but I added a couple herbs to the brine. It was so fucking tender man. My sister in law said I must have sold my soul to the devil LOL
The credit for me doing it goes to you, though. Thanks!

I'm going to roast a leg of lamb in the oven on Holy Thursday before Easter (in 3 days from now) which will take several hours.

I usually coat slabs of meat like that in olive oil, then salt and pepper it rather thickly.
I grilled a leg once. I used rosemary and it was fucking gross. No more rosemary on lamb! LOL

amazingribs.com

rub recipe is here:

amazingribs.com

nom, nom, nom....
For a thick slab of meat you do really need to cook it for a very long time so that it becomes tender.

I use a roasting oven for that, about 400F to brown it on the outside for about 1 hour, then 200F for the next several hours after that, until tender or however the guests want it.

normally, yes, but when you trim it and tie it, now it's maybe a consistent 4-5" across what is now a cylinder instead of a traditionally shaped rib roast.

Total cook time was about 2.5 hours to get it to ~110 degrees in the middle, then another 30 to sear the outside, which in this technique is done at the end, so about 3-3.5 hours total give or take...

amazingribs.com

rub recipe is here:

amazingribs.com

nom, nom, nom....

Brining is the shit whether it's dry or wet!!!
Next Thanksgiving get a fresh never frozen turkey with no additives.
Remove the leg quarters and leave the breast intact.
Brine em for 24hrs.
Fire up the smoker with real Oak charcoal and have some small Pecan wood chunks on hand to give the bird a little smoke.
I smoke my birds at 250.

Put the dark meat in the smoker about 20 to 30 minutes before the breast. Bring the dark meat to 170 pull and cover.
Pull the breast at 155 cover.

You'll never cook your turkey whole again I promise you.

Oh, and those herbs didn't work too well with my BBQ rub I put on the turkey.
I learned my lesson. Next time I will just use salt and water. Maybe some vinegar or apple juice, but that's it.

I pick out whatever steak looks good wherever I may be, if and only if it looks good.

Then I sprinkle with a bit of sour Orange juice, dice up peeled garlic cloves, salt and pepper and stick in bottom of fridge for 2-4 days.

For cooking, it's either on the grill with whatever wood I have, (Oak, Citrus, Hickory)

or hehehe, George Foreman grill, medium rare.

I've made Chuck steaks that melted in the mouth.

An old butcher man taught me how to look for the marbling.

I grilled a leg once. I used rosemary and it was fucking gross. No more rosemary on lamb! LOL
Mint.

And if you're going to grill lamb, you need to have a killer marinade. I would probably have taken it off the bone and made kebobs.

Mint.

And if you're going to grill lamb, you need to have a killer marinade. I would probably have taken it off the bone and made kebobs.
Sometimes I take it off the bone and make small steaks and a sauce out of red wine.

I pick out whatever steak looks good wherever I may be, if and only if it looks good.

Then I sprinkle with a bit of sour Orange juice, dice up peeled garlic cloves, salt and pepper and stick in bottom of fridge for 2-4 days.

For cooking, it's either on the grill with whatever wood I have, (Oak, Citrus, Hickory)

or hehehe, George Foreman grill, medium rare.

I've made Chuck steaks that melted in the mouth.

An old butcher man taught me how to look for the marbling.
I have never even considered chuck steaks. People have told me if you can cook them right, you will be satisfied. Almost as much as your wallet!

Mint.

you know, I thought about that. But it seems like more of a challenge with the bone in. That's really the only reason I bought it. 30 dollar experiment.... lol

Forum List

Back