Zone1 How Can Christians Condone Abortion?

That is EXACTLY what you're doing.
Using the power of government to enforce YOUR religious view.
You obviously don't know or don't remember my position which has always been: The government should have NO position on abortion. It does not fall within the sphere of government duties. Government should neither approve nor disapprove of abortion.

Government should never place itself in the position of approving the taking or ending of innocent life. As the Milgram Experiment showed us years ago, the minute an authority says it is okay to do something, two-thirds of the population will be in favor of doing it. We saw this with slavery; with the Holocaust; and again with abortion. If the government wants its citizens to act in a way most normal would not, they make it clear it is okay to do it.

Basically, a pregnant woman should not be able to find any authority that tells her hurting, let alone killing, that new life is okay. If she goes ahead and kills it, has it killed, anyway, that is on her, her choice. No government needs to charge or prosecute her either. No government harassment or condolence or attention of any kind.

You might say, "What about her religion?"

What about it? No one is required to follow or participate in religion.

All I am saying, when it comes to choice, the woman is on her own. No one is going to tell her it is okay to end a life. She reaches that conclusion all on her own or not at all. Now, that's choice.

If by condone you mean how can Christian women have abortions, the answer would be the same way they commit any other sin.

If by condone you mean how can Christians allow abortions, the answer is they have no say in the matter other than their role in secular processes.

I think the better question is how can Christians abide abortion. And that answer is the same way God abides our sins. It's important to remember that God allows us free will. I believe God does so because it's not virtuous if He forces us to be virtuous. So that's how I abide abortion. By remembering it wouldn't be virtuous if women were forced to be virtuous.
Thank you for your input, but I used the term "condone" advisedly, meaning to approve or sanction something that is, from a Christian perspective, destruction of a human soul. I was not suggesting that Christians should force their beliefs on others.

Thank you for your input, but I used the term "condone" advisedly, meaning to approve or sanction something that is, from a Christian perspective, destruction of a human soul. I was not suggesting that Christians should force their beliefs on others.
Then it's the same way they can approve or sanction any other sin. They have free will. So it's between them and God.

Why, yes I have, and natural childbirth at that. Twice.

I think everyone understands there is a wide distinction between, "I am miserable" and "I am evil". The two words are not interchangeable.

And let's say the whole nine months were a misery between exhaustion, nausea, dietary issues. bladder issues, labor pains, and on and on. Do you know what would cause me even greater pain? If either of my daughters were to ever say to me, "Mom, you should have gotten rid of me when I was was just a cell or two."
I am happy for you, really, but I suspect you wanted to be a mother, no one told you you had to be a mother.

How is it possible for Christians to believe that each individual has a soul and yet condone its destruction? Was it really up to Mary and Elizabeth to decide whether or not to terminate their pregnancies? Is a soul's existence really dependent on a Certificate of Live Birth?

Please enlighten me.
Are you saying that God did not give out free will to his creation?

Plan B and RU-486 are vastly different. The morning after pill works to prevent pregnancy, and if there is already a pregnancy, it will not harm it. RU-486 will cause the abortion of an existing pregnancy.

RU486 is a medication used to induce a miscarriage in a pregnancy less than 10 weeks along. Better known as the abortion pill or Mifeprex

Do numbers matter? It is OK to abort that single cell or it is not. RU486 probably causes a fair number of these early abortions.
It literally can’t cause such a thing

Implantation hasn’t even occurred yet, meaning pregnancy hasn’t even started yet.

It literally can’t cause such a thing

Implantation hasn’t even occurred yet, meaning pregnancy hasn’t even started yet.
Nor would she even know she were pregnant. She'd take the morning after pill which blocks fertilization.

I am happy for you, really, but I suspect you wanted to be a mother, no one told you you had to be a mother.
I had been a big sister and an aunt all my life. Taking care of children was always a part of what I did. When my husband-to-be and I talked about having children, I said I was at a stage in my life I could go either way. However, if I did have children, I was going to be a stay-at-home mom. His call. He wanted children, and I bless him for that every day. No regrets, none.

It was different for my mom. There was always a baby on the way at the wrong time. Always. She was the first to show us how wonderfully everything worked out despite hard times, a blessing in a small package and that how that blessing always grew exponentially.

You obviously don't know or don't remember my position which has always been: The government should have NO position on abortion. It does not fall within the sphere of government duties. Government should neither approve nor disapprove of abortion.

Government should never place itself in the position of approving the taking or ending of innocent life. As the Milgram Experiment showed us years ago, the minute an authority says it is okay to do something, two-thirds of the population will be in favor of doing it. We saw this with slavery; with the Holocaust; and again with abortion. If the government wants its citizens to act in a way most normal would not, they make it clear it is okay to do it.

Basically, a pregnant woman should not be able to find any authority that tells her hurting, let alone killing, that new life is okay. If she goes ahead and kills it, has it killed, anyway, that is on her, her choice. No government needs to charge or prosecute her either. No government harassment or condolence or attention of any kind.

You might say, "What about her religion?"

What about it? No one is required to follow or participate in religion.

All I am saying, when it comes to choice, the woman is on her own. No one is going to tell her it is okay to end a life. She reaches that conclusion all on her own or not at all. Now, that's choice.
beyond efficacy and safety the government has no more place in an abortion decision than it should have in a tonsillectomy or treating poison ivy.

BUT

The use of government to enforce religious views has been a tenant of the GOP, and so called "conservatives" since Reagan and the Hyde amendment.

Religion is a personal matter and best left out of ALL governmental matters,

AND

It is not a life, it is a fetus. It might become a life but then so may the salad she had for lunch.

It is not a life, it is a fetus.

Objectively false.

A Homo sapiens - aka Human being - in the fetal stage of life is alive. If he or she was not alive, he or she could not grow and age.

Apparently you think we are inorganic minerals until we magically spring forth from the birth canal…

Your statement is ludicrous… literally insane.

Legislation is in the works,
But you do, please continue your dopiness.
I don't care what legislation they put in place they will never be able to prevent a woman leaving their state and getting an abortion. Stop being so emotional about this and use your brain.

Forum List

Back