How A Part-Time Uber Driver Can Buy A Tesla

abu afak

ALLAH SNACKBAR!
Mar 3, 2006
Amazing whats coming soon in Cars and Self-driving cars.

Jun. 20, 2015
How A Part-Time Uber Driver Can Buy A Tesla - Tesla Motors NASDAQ TSLA Seeking Alpha

"......“My next car will definitely be a Tesla,” my Uber driver said with great enthusiasm.

As he was driving me from the Hyatt in Newport Beach to John Wayne Airport, a Tesla P85D quietly flew passed us.

It was black, shiny, and clearly driven by an individual that was in a hurry. He must've been doing at least 90, and this 20-something part-time Uber drive could barely control his excitement.

While I certainly shared his enthusiasm, I was unsure of how a part-time Uber driver (I believe he was a college student driving for Uber to make some extra cash) would be able to afford an $80,000 car. But then I realized that by the time this guy gets a new car, he won't need $80,000 to buy a Tesla. He won't even need half that.

You see, Elon Musk's next big rollout — following the Model X all-electric SUV — will be the Tesla Model 3, which is set to debut next year with a $35,000 price tag. And rest assured, it won't lack much more than space compared to the Model S. In fact, I've heard it's basically just a smaller version of the Model S.

In any event, the $35,000 price tag on the Model 3 is the actual price — without any incentives included. Throw in the $7,500 federal tax credit, along with California's state tax credit of $2,500, and my Uber driver will be able to pick up a shiny new Tesla for $25,000.

Not a bad deal considering he'll save at least another $10,000 on gasoline during the first 3 years of ownership (and all Tesla Superchargers are free to Tesla owners). Figure that into the equation, and you're looking at a price tag of $15,000...."
`​

Last edited:
Thank goodness people are working on this technology. As soon as prices are in the $20k's and the range is the same as a gas car with a full tank, then electric cars will really start to sell. We're just a few years away. This model 3 is a huge step.

Amazing whats coming soon in Cars and Self-driving cars.

Jun. 20, 2015
How A Part-Time Uber Driver Can Buy A Tesla - Tesla Motors NASDAQ TSLA Seeking Alpha

"......“My next car will definitely be a Tesla,” my Uber driver said with great enthusiasm.

As he was driving me from the Hyatt in Newport Beach to John Wayne Airport, a Tesla P85D quietly flew passed us.

It was black, shiny, and clearly driven by an individual that was in a hurry. He must've been doing at least 90, and this 20-something part-time Uber drive could barely control his excitement.

While I certainly shared his enthusiasm, I was unsure of how a part-time Uber driver (I believe he was a college student driving for Uber to make some extra cash) would be able to afford an $80,000 car. But then I realized that by the time this guy gets a new car, he won't need $80,000 to buy a Tesla. He won't even need half that.

You see, Elon Musk's next big rollout — following the Model X all-electric SUV — will be the Tesla Model 3, which is set to debut next year with a $35,000 price tag. And rest assured, it won't lack much more than space compared to the Model S. In fact, I've heard it's basically just a smaller version of the Model S.

In any event, the $35,000 price tag on the Model 3 is the actual price — without any incentives included. Throw in the $7,500 federal tax credit, along with California's state tax credit of $2,500, and my Uber driver will be able to pick up a shiny new Tesla for $25,000.

Not a bad deal considering he'll save at least another $10,000 on gasoline during the first 3 years of ownership (and all Tesla Superchargers are free to Tesla owners). Figure that into the equation, and you're looking at a price tag of $15,000....
`​

Got to admit I am giving a lot of thought to the Model X.

And in 4 years the Tesla will need a $20,000 complete battery replacement. ..... :cool:

Nationwide there is an 8 year manufacturers warranty on all battery packs.

In certain states they mandate a 10 year warranty.

So no, it won't matter at all in 4 years time if it needs to be replaced.

I visited the Tesla company show room about a year ago and ask the salesman about battery warranty and replacement cost.

He hem-hawed around and finally admitted he wasn't privy to that information. ... :cool:

State laws override the manufacturers hemming and hawing.

Walk into a Toyota or Ford dealer and they will tell you exactly the period of the state mandated battery warranty.

You raised the subject of batteries and they can be found in Fords, Toyotas and Chevys as well as Teslas.
Tesla is the only car that runs strictly on batteries.

The others you mentioned are gasoline/battery hybrids.

Big difference........ :cool:

No difference in the batteries or the state mandated warranty.

Oh, and the Nissan Leaf and a bunch of others are battery only vehicles.

And in 4 years the Tesla will need a $20,000 complete battery replacement. ..... :cool:

Or, should the owner unfortunately allow the battery to flatline just one time it will "brick" and then he's toast because TESLA won't warranty driver errors like that.

You keep mentioning these state mandated electric car battery warranties.Do you have evidence or a :link:to back this up? ..... :cool:
You ever try, DUH... Google.
I mean, we know you are of the Disloyal anti-America industry ilk but..

Google 'tesla battery gauranee' (just the first few of SCORES)

• Tesla Motors
  • Car and Driver
  • Jan 19, 2014 - A deeper dive into the Tesla Model S Battery Warranty to see the extent of coverage for battery life, battery degradation and catastrophic failure.
  • Tesla offers idiot-proof battery warranty - Apr. 26, 2013
    money.cnn.com/2013/04/26/autos/tesla-service-gauranteeCNNMoney
    Apr 26, 2013 - Tesla Motors is offering a new "no fault" warranty on the batteries in its Model S sedans in a bid to entice more buyers to try its all-electric luxury ..

Last edited:
No difference in the batteries or the state mandated warranty.
You keep mentioning these state mandated electric car battery warranties.

Do you have evidence or a :link:to back this up? ..... :cool:

Warranty and Roadside Assistance Coverage -- Edmunds Auto Warranty Tips

Battery Warranties for Hybrid and Electric Vehicles: Battery warranties for conventional hybrids, such as the Toyota Prius, and plug-in hybrids such as the Chevrolet Volt, are pretty straightforward. The primary purpose of a hybrid drive system is to reduce air pollution from the gasoline engine by cutting down on the amount of fuel burned. Batteries and associated equipment are considered part of the overall emissions system and under federal emissions rules, they must be warrantied for at least eight years or 100,000 miles.

California and some states that have adopted California's zero-emissions vehicle regulations require even more coverage: Hybrids sold in those states must carry a minimum 10-year/150,000-mile warranty on their battery systems. As of this date, the states are California, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island and Vermont, according to the California Air Resources Board.

In addition to the high-voltage battery packs themselves, the hybrid warranty also covers critical elements such as battery pack cooling system components, battery control modules, the hybrid car's continuously variable transmission (if it is equipped with one) and any high-voltage current converters. The parts lists vary by model and manufacturer; check the owner's manual for specifics.

For pure battery-electric vehicles, there are no underlying federal or state emissions regulations. But because battery life and reliability are essential to an electric car's operation, automakers have largely adopted the standard for hybrids: eight years or 100,000 miles on batteries and associated components.

upload_2015-6-21_17-14-28.png

upload_2015-6-21_17-14-54.png

You keep mentioning these state mandated electric car battery warranties.Do you have evidence or a :link:to back this up? ..... :cool:

Google 'tesla battery gauratee'

• Tesla Motors
  • Car and Driver
  • Jan 19, 2014 - A deeper dive into the Tesla Model S Battery Warranty to see the extent of coverage for battery life, battery degradation and catastrophic failure.
  • CNET
    Apr 26, 2013 - Tesla Motors is offering a new "no fault" warranty on the batteries in its Model S sedans in a bid to entice more buyers to try its all-electric luxury ..

Duh, google TESLA "brick".

Tesla Battery Failures Make ‘Bricking’ a Buzzword

AN uproar recently ignited on automotive blogs over a post about a Tesla Roadster whose battery needed replacement after its owner parked the car, low on charge and unplugged, for more than two months. The battery, which had fully discharged, could not be revived.

While controversy has swirled around the incident — with bloggers arguing about an owner’s responsibility to keep the battery charged and the motivation in making the details public — Tesla has confirmed basic facts about the situation.

The incident made a buzzword of “bricking,” a term from the high-tech industry typically used to describe electronic devices rendered useless by corrupted software. In this case, it was the 1,000-pound lithium-ion battery pack of an electric Roadster — a car that sold for about $110,000 but whose production has now ended — that became, effectively, a brick.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/04/automobiles/Tesla-Battery-Failures-Make-Bricking-a-Buzzword.html

Google 'tesla battery gauranee' (just the first few of SCORES)

• Tesla Motors
  • Car and Driver
.......................^^^ None of those a "state" mandated you freakin nitwit........try again. ..... :cuckoo:

For pure battery-electric vehicles, there are no underlying federal or state emissions regulations. But because battery life and reliability are essential to an electric car's operation, automakers have largely adopted the standard for hybrids: eight years or 100,000 miles on batteries and associated components.
Rule #1......read your rebuttal material before you post it and look foolish. ..... :cool:

Forum List

Back