House votes to REMOVE all Confederate statues from Congress

Interesting that 120 Republicans voted against this campaign to tear down these statues of Democrats and erase our country's history.

Pretty sure that the Communists did similar.

House votes to REMOVE all Confederate statues from Congress and replace a bust of Chief Justice Roger Taney with Thurgood Marshall - despite opposition from 120 Republicans​

• Bill will remove statues and busts of Confederacy supporters from Congress
  • It includes a bust of Roger Taney, the U.S. chief justice best known for his Dred Scott pro-slavery decision
  • The statue of the President of the Confederacy Jefferson Davis will also go
  • Democrats were unanimous in their support for the bill and were joined by 67 Republicans, with the bill passed by a vote of 285-120.
  • 'Let me state a simple fact. All the statues being removed by this bill are statues of Democrats,' House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy said before the vote
View attachment 507268

We need to move these statues where they belong..........to a site where the racism and violence of the democrat party can be remembered for the rest of time........

Interesting that 120 Republicans voted against this campaign to tear down these statues of Democrats and erase our country's history.

Pretty sure that the Communists did similar.

House votes to REMOVE all Confederate statues from Congress and replace a bust of Chief Justice Roger Taney with Thurgood Marshall - despite opposition from 120 Republicans​

• Bill will remove statues and busts of Confederacy supporters from Congress
  • It includes a bust of Roger Taney, the U.S. chief justice best known for his Dred Scott pro-slavery decision
  • The statue of the President of the Confederacy Jefferson Davis will also go
  • Democrats were unanimous in their support for the bill and were joined by 67 Republicans, with the bill passed by a vote of 285-120.
  • 'Let me state a simple fact. All the statues being removed by this bill are statues of Democrats,' House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy said before the vote
View attachment 507268

We need to move these statues where they belong..........to a site where the racism and violence of the democrat party can be remembered for the rest of time........
Agreed. We need a holocaust like museum where all these statues of traitors to their nation can be on display. You agree they don't belong in the halls of congress though?

Indeed. Their descendants are loyal Americans again.

They are not responsible for their progenitors who rejected the United States Constitution and took up arms against the United States, attacking and slaughtering United States forces defending the United States on United States soil.

Americans should not be forced to endure monuments to those individuals on public land anywhere in our nation.
>Americans should not be forced to endure monuments

Awww, the statues of historical figures might hurt someone's feelings. For a guy with a tough looking avatar, you sure do have a thin skin.

No one is forced. No one has to "endure" anything. They are statues. They are inanimate pieces of artwork that depict historical figures relevant to our nation's history. You do not have to worship them. Go see them if you want to, as nearly 3M people do annually.

You are advocating for a policy where only one side, the winning side, should be displayed in public.

I couldn't stand Jimmy Carter or Obama, but I could easily admire statues of them. I remember seeing the Stalin bust at the National D-Day Memorial. It was quite appropriate.

I know, your argument is that Confederates fought against the US (or were a government official of a Confederate State during rebellion, as the bill states). It's over, and they are dead.

The statues represent the country’s history, no matter how complicated or controversial. Taking them down is to censor, whitewash, and potentially forget that history.

Citizens of the United States have the right to hold controversial opinions and build statues to honor their beliefs. The First Amendment protects everyone’s speech, not just the speech approved by the majority.

The history of the United States is multi-layered, complicated, and ever-evolving. Those who disagree with the beliefs upheld by the statues should work to understand the history these monuments represent, rather than trying to simply remove them and the history from sight.

“Removing Confederate statues amounts to whitewashing our history, turning our heads away from the inconvenient truths of our past. We should let them stand and use them to remind ourselves of what we are and are not, the cost our forebears paid for our freedom and to educate our children.” - Lawrence A. Kuznar

At a time when the nation is very divided, remembering what happened last time when Americans on the opposing sides had deeply-held beliefs, there is probably no better time to remember what led to the bloodiest war in US history.

The United States Capitol is a museum and within its walls, we are reminded of our greatest achievements as a nation, as well as our gravest mistakes.

Why in the flying fuck would we have a statue of Jefferson Davis lol

God damn

Why would anyone lionize traitors?
If he's a traitor, then why didn't they prosecute him for treason?
I've never read the actual terms of surrender

But it probably included no prosecution of leaders I would imagine

We famously nuked Japan because they wanted similar garuntees for their emperor. Very common to find immunity in a surrender agreement.
Generals Grant and Sherman should have been tried for war crimes.

Winners don't get prosecuted, lol

It would seem to me that there is no better place than the US Capitol. The racism and violence Democrats cause continues to this day.

They are not responsible for their progenitors who rejected the United States Constitution and took up arms against the United States, attacking and slaughtering United States forces defending the United States on United States soil.

Americans should not be forced to endure monuments to those individuals on public land anywhere in our nation.

Awww, the statues of historical figures might hurt someone's feelings. For a guy with a tough looking avatar, you sure do have a thin skin.

No one is forced. No one has to "endure" anything. They are statues. They are inanimate pieces of artwork that depict historical figures relevant to our nation's history. You do not have to worship them. Go see them if you want to, as nearly 3M people do annually.

You are advocating for a policy where only one side, the winning side, should be displayed in public.

I couldn't stand Jimmy Carter or Obama, but I could easily admire statues of them. I remember seeing the Stalin bust at the National D-Day Memorial. It was quite appropriate.

I know, your argument is that Confederates fought against the US (or were a government official of a Confederate State during rebellion, as the bill states). It's over, and they are dead.

The statues represent the country’s history, no matter how complicated or controversial. Taking them down is to censor, whitewash, and potentially forget that history.

Citizens of the United States have the right to hold controversial opinions and build statues to honor their beliefs. The First Amendment protects everyone’s speech, not just the speech approved by the majority.

The history of the United States is multi-layered, complicated, and ever-evolving. Those who disagree with the beliefs upheld by the statues should work to understand the history these monuments represent, rather than trying to simply remove them and the history from sight.

“Removing Confederate statues amounts to whitewashing our history, turning our heads away from the inconvenient truths of our past. We should let them stand and use them to remind ourselves of what we are and are not, the cost our forebears paid for our freedom and to educate our children.” - Lawrence A. Kuznar

At a time when the nation is very divided, remembering what happened last time when Americans on the opposing sides had deeply-held beliefs, there is probably no better time to remember what led to the bloodiest war in US history.

The United States Capitol is a museum and within its walls, we are reminded of our greatest achievements as a nation, as well as our gravest mistakes.
If you wish to honor individuals who rejected the United States Constitution, renounced their United States citizenship, attacked the United States, and slaughtered United States military defending the United States, you are free to erect your monuments to them on your private property. Sworn enemies of the United States have no places of honor anywhere on United States public land.

If you wish to honor individuals who rejected the United States Constitution, renounced their United States citizenship, attacked the United States, and slaughtered United States military defending the United States, you are free to erect your monuments to them on your private property Sworn enemies of the United States have no places of honor anywhere on United States public land.
Just because millions of people defend themselves, and their towns, from invaders shooting at them, that doesn't make them "sworn enemies of the United States"

Why in the flying fuck would we have a statue of Jefferson Davis lol

God damn

Why would anyone lionize traitors?
If he's a traitor, then why didn't they prosecute him for treason?
I've never read the actual terms of surrender

But it probably included no prosecution of leaders I would imagine

We famously nuked Japan because they wanted similar garuntees for their emperor. Very common to find immunity in a surrender agreement.
Generals Grant and Sherman should have been tried for war crimes.

Winners don't get prosecuted, lol
True, but only because they won. Not because they aren't guilty as sin.

If you wish to honor individuals who rejected the United States Constitution, renounced their United States citizenship, attacked the United States, and slaughtered United States military defending the United States, you are free to erect your monuments to them on your private property. Sworn enemies of the United States have no places of honor anywhere on United States public land.
You keep lying about what actually happened.

If you wish to honor individuals who rejected the United States Constitution, renounced their United States citizenship, attacked the United States, and slaughtered United States military defending the United States, you are free to erect your monuments to them on your private property Sworn enemies of the United States have no places of honor anywhere on United States public land.
Just because millions of people defend themselves, and their towns, from invaders shooting at them, that doesn't make them "sworn enemies of the United States"
If you are claiming that the United States military defending the United States on United States soil were invaders, you are mistaken. Hostile forces opposed to the United States attacked the United States on April 12, 1861, initiating the hostilities.

The armed forces of the United States protected citizens of the United States whose status as citizens of the United States was being threatened by those hostile forces.

If you are claiming that the United States military defending the United States on United States soil were invaders, you are mistaken. Hostile forces opposed to the United States attacked the United States on April 12, 1861, initiating the hostilities.

The armed forces of the United States protected citizens of the United States whose status as citizens of the United States was being threatened by those hostile forces.
Before the Civil War, Virginia soil was Virginia soil. When the federal government is firing on the citizens of Virginia, it is indeed an invader. You keep pretending as if the USA was the same as some servile country like England. Until the Civil War, the United States was a voluntary association of states. Virginia was not carved out of some larger country.

But I am not claiming that. I am claiming that the US military NOT defending the US, were invaders, invading states hundreds of miles from their home base.

And your talk about "initiating" is a laughingstock, that I already addressed in this thread. And nobody really knows what the first shots where, or where, or when, and even if they did, 5 years of war is what matters, not some first shot somewhere.

Let me fix that for you....

Hostile forces ( the democrat party )opposed to the United States attacked the United States on April 12, 1861, initiating the hostilities.

The armed forces of the United States protected citizens of the United States whose status as citizens of the United States was being threatened by those hostile forces. ( the democrat party )

I'll fix this for you too.....

If you wish to honor individuals who rejected the United States Constitution, renounced their United States citizenship, attacked the United States, and slaughtered United States military defending the United States, ( members of the democrat party ) you are free to erect your monuments to them on your private property. Sworn enemies of the United States ( the democrat party )have no places of honor anywhere on United States public land.

I am claiming that the US military NOT defending the US, were invaders, invading states hundreds of miles from their home base.
And that is false. United States troops were deployed to protect the United States and loyal citizens of the United States within the United States.
And your talk about "initiating" is a laughingstock, that I already addressed in this thread. And nobody really knows what the first shots where, or where, or when, and even if they did, 5 years of war is what matters, not some first shot somewhere.

Charleston Harbor, SC | Apr 12 - 14, 1861​

The attack on Fort Sumter marked the official beginning of the American Civil War—a war that lasted four years, cost the lives of more than 620,000 Americans, and freed 3.9 million enslaved people from bondage.​
April 12. At 4:30 a.m., a flaming mortar shot arcs into the air and explodes over Fort Sumter. On this signal, Confederate guns from fortifications and floating batteries around Charleston Harbor roar to life. Outmanned, outgunned, undersupplied, and nearly surrounded by enemy batteries, Anderson waits until around 7:00 a.m. to respond. Captain Abner Doubleday volunteers to fire the first cannon at the Confederates, a 32-pound shot that bounces off the roof of the Iron Battery on Cummings Point.​
For nearly 36 hours the two sides keep up this unequal contest. A shell strikes the flagpole of Fort Sumter, and the American colors fall to the earth, only to be hoisted back up the hastily repaired pole. Confederates fire hotshot from Fort Moultrie into Fort Sumter. Buildings begin to burn within the fort. With no more resources, Anderson surrenders Fort Sumter to Confederate forces.​
April 13. At 2:30 p.m., Maj. Anderson and his men strike their colors and prepare to leave the fort. Sadly, the only casualties at Fort Sumter come during the 100-gun salute, when a round explodes prematurely, killing Pvt. Daniel Hough and mortally wounding another soldier. The attack is over, but the war had just begun...​

But what if I lived in a rented Apartment, LOL. Then I would be one of the disenfranchised Americans, never able to see these statues on a trip to DC (they are going to be returned to the states which donated them.)

The US Capitol property is owned by us Americans (not you, I've read). It's an appropriate place to display historical artwork related to our nation's history.

For the record, I am not a even fan of the Confederacy. I am not really a Yankee or Rebel, but I might have turned into a redneck. I never really cared about the Civil War until I moved to Virginia. Although I was born in the US, I have lived all over the world. I am a fan of American history and sick of all this cancel culture erasing it.

On my visit to the D-Day memorial, I was struck by the prominent display of the Stalin bust. Made me think about the complex history we have.

If you don't mind, what country do you hail from? Just curious.

I am claiming that the US military NOT defending the US, were invaders, invading states hundreds of miles from their home base.
And that is false. United States troops were deployed to protect the United States and loyal citizens of the United States within the United States.

Charleston Harbor, SC | Apr 12 - 14, 1861​

The attack on Fort Sumter marked the official beginning of the American Civil War—a war that lasted four years, cost the lives of more than 620,000 Americans, and freed 3.9 million enslaved people from bondage.​
April 12. At 4:30 a.m., a flaming mortar shot arcs into the air and explodes over Fort Sumter. On this signal, Confederate guns from fortifications and floating batteries around Charleston Harbor roar to life. Outmanned, outgunned, undersupplied, and nearly surrounded by enemy batteries, Anderson waits until around 7:00 a.m. to respond. Captain Abner Doubleday volunteers to fire the first cannon at the Confederates, a 32-pound shot that bounces off the roof of the Iron Battery on Cummings Point.​
For nearly 36 hours the two sides keep up this unequal contest. A shell strikes the flagpole of Fort Sumter, and the American colors fall to the earth, only to be hoisted back up the hastily repaired pole. Confederates fire hotshot from Fort Moultrie into Fort Sumter. Buildings begin to burn within the fort. With no more resources, Anderson surrenders Fort Sumter to Confederate forces.​
April 13. At 2:30 p.m., Maj. Anderson and his men strike their colors and prepare to leave the fort. Sadly, the only casualties at Fort Sumter come during the 100-gun salute, when a round explodes prematurely, killing Pvt. Daniel Hough and mortally wounding another soldier. The attack is over, but the war had just begun...​
Federal troops were trespassing on the territory of South Carolina. A country is not required to tolerate the presence of foriegn troops within it's border by any principle of international law.

Jim H - VA USA Destroying history and culture is part of the process of a conquest. The Spaniards did it to the Maya and Aztecs, the English did it to the Powhatan, the muslims ottomans did it to Constantinople, the Muslim Morris did it to Spain in the year 711. It happened throughout history, and it will continue to happen forever. Everyone wants power. There will never be total peace

Federal troops were trespassing on the territory of South Carolina. .....
Again, repeating this falsehood over and over will not alter reality.

Forum List

Back