Homeschooling: Your Views, Please

As long as home schools met state requirements for a public education, go ahead.

When I was young and idealistic, as well as a first grade teacher, I was against it. My aunt started homeschooling, and I didn't understand why. Now my stance is that a parent knows how to best serve their children. They lived in a rural area of northern Wisconsin, and she felt there wasn't enough learning occurring. She had four children, who have grown up to be bright and compassionate young people. She got cancer and died before the youngest finished, but my Grandma, a former school teacher took over. My aunt not only taught them basics, but got them involved in groups where they could socialize. She also encouraged them to take up music. They all received scholarships to pursue further education. Both of the girls have traveled internationally in their studies. I believe that they are much more well-rounded because of her dedication to their education. However, it takes extreme commitment to do it the right way, and not something that can be a part-time endeavor.

It works a hundred times better than union based schools but only if the parents care enough to follow the curriculum.

u can't teach what you dont know yourself, and most parents don't know jack about squat. that's why they are parents,normally

As long as home schools met state requirements for a public education, go ahead.

That sentiment makes me feel a little wary, because I've heard elsewhere in places like Germany that are unreasonably controlling of homeschoolers. My schooling was from Christian Liberty Academy, although I'm no longer religious.

We considered it, but as parents of an only child decided to send her on to public because of the social interaction element. Very small town, which aided in the decision. Looking back, this must be why the Mrs. went back to school and got her Ed degree because she ended up teaching in the daughter's grade school.

I imagine it would take quite a commitment and a fair amount of planning. And like Jake sed, "as long as it meets..." .

Last edited:
u can't teach what you dont know yourself, and most parents don't know jack about squat. that's why they are parents,normally

While I agree with the first portion of your sentence, I don't particularly agree with the latter.

What sherry said. If I had school age kids at home today, they would NOT be going to public schools. That is where they learn about peer pressure, cliques, cruelty, manipulations, hate, racism, bigotry. I would home school them and what I didn't know, I would join a group where the kids could interact with other home schooled kids and parents that knew more than what I could teach.

Home schooling all the way! :thup:

It works a hundred times better than union based schools but only if the parents care enough to follow the curriculum.

You have no data to support your claim.

However, I think the key is parental involvement in home or private or public school.

All but five states have public school employee associations and there is some fine public schooling going on in our nation.

If there were a school like the one on Little House On The Prairie...that would be awesome.

That sentiment makes me feel a little wary, because I've heard elsewhere in places like Germany that are unreasonably controlling of homeschoolers. My schooling was from Christian Liberty Academy, although I'm no longer religious.

If we live in our country with a federal constitution and the various state consittutions, then I fully believe the states can craft appropriate vetting protocol for successful education.

I wonder if a home schooled who fails the comprehensive protocal should result in a $5000 or more fine for the parents.

Glad you were able to escape that mind numbing stuff

I think its odd that any parent would believe they have to choose one over the other.

Mr H is correct about socialization but that doesn't mean parents/families cannot or should not involve themselves in their child's education.

I've seen examples of the best of both worlds combined in a child's education. I've also seen strictly home schooled kids who were social wrecks and unable to think beyond their religious brainwashing. Fundies are raising a generation of home schooled cripples.

Not saying it has to be that way but that's what I've seen.

If there were a school like the one on Little House On The Prairie...that would be awesome.

I admire your Pollyanna attitude.

It was more one on one. Nowadays, tne teacher, trying to teach 30 to 50 kids in one big room? Oh, I wish the olden days were upon us.

I was lucky in that I taught in a small rural school that received Title I funding for keeping first and second grade classes small. My classes averaged between 12-15...my smallest class was 11 and my largest was 17. That environment allowed me to really provide individualized instruction, and not just for the kids who struggled. I didn't appreciate my daughter's Kindergarten teacher saying that I over prepared her for school, and that was why she was bored during reading instruction. Well, if between her and the classroom aide it was too much to provide appropriate materials, then I suggested she walk down the hall to a second grade classroom during that period. All children should be challenged so that they experience success and progression in their studies.

I was homeschooled as a child.

There are arguments made for and against it.

Would you please share your views on it here?

I raised a classical liberal. Ok ok 1776 can neg me now. My daughter has just moved to Sweden.

She's giving me dailys that make me so proud of her. Harley is my grandson an I am absolutely loving this to death.

The swedes love parent and teacher interchannge. Ps.My daughter is a teacher.

Forum List

Back