Homeschooling: Your Views, Please

I was and I support schools as clients. Your perception is incorrect. They are like letting the animals run the zoo, which is a great way to learn the laws of the jungle and what exists in the real world, not mom's garage and dinning room table.

I was a teacher. My perception is correct. Again, step into present day, and acknowledge that many parents who choose this route are capable, and some of them aren't even Christians.:eusa_shhh:
A few but it's still a lousy idea from the standpoint of a society. which is all that matters in this case.

And if you were a teacher, it must have been for the younger guys. Those you can get to shut up from time to time.

Mostly first graders, but also 8th, 6th and 3rd graders. I never had a behavior issue that I wasn't able to resolve. Your argument supports homechooling. If you believe that teachers are not capable of delivering effective classroom discipline, then they clearly aren't providing an environment conducive to learning.

I was a teacher. My perception is correct. Again, step into present day, and acknowledge that many parents who choose this route are capable, and some of them aren't even Christians.:eusa_shhh:
A few but it's still a lousy idea from the standpoint of a society. which is all that matters in this case.

And if you were a teacher, it must have been for the younger guys. Those you can get to shut up from time to time.

Mostly first graders, but also 8th, 6th and 3rd graders. I never had a behavior issue that I wasn't able to resolve. Your argument supports homechooling. If you believe that teachers are not capable of delivering effective classroom discipline, then they clearly aren't providing an environment conducive to learning.
The learning I'm speaking of doesn't require the behavior expected at a college lecture. It's the exact opposite as a matter of fact.

The positive thing about homeschooling is that families can see each other more.

The drawback is that I find homeschooled kids to be more sheltered about the ways of the world and interpersonal dealings with all the different varieties of people that exist in the world around us.

I don't know what is good or bad, but I see the traps of homeschooling.

The learning I'm speaking of doesn't require the behavior expected at a college lecture. It's the exact opposite as a matter of fact.

Those behaviors that you refer to are much less likely to be exhibited in the classroom environment than they would in social activities. Your argument that kids are more likely to be exposed to challenging interactions with their peers within a classroom setting is rather weak. You seem rigid and unwilling to concede your preconceived notions, but carry on in your perceptions.

Those behaviors that you refer to are much less likely to be exhibited in the classroom environment than they would in social activities. Your argument that kids are more likely to be exposed to challenging interactions with their peers within a classroom setting is rather weak. You seem rigid and unwilling to concede your preconceived notions, but carry on in your perceptions.
I will because they developed over a very long time and are therefore not preconceived. You are fan of home-schooling and I am not. The classroom is not my concern, that's yours. I am concerned with the complete and shared experience of attending a public school, with many kids who might be very unlike you and raised much differently. That has profound value to me, and to us as a society, and I won't be changing my opinions so don't bother trying. I'm rigid on many things, once I know that they work.

I will because they developed over a very long time and are therefore not preconceived. You are fan of home-schooling and I am not. The classroom is not my concern, that's yours. I am concerned with the complete and shared experience of attending a public school, with many kids who might be very unlike you and raised much differently. That has profound value to me, and to us as a society, and I won't be changing my opinions so don't bother trying. I'm rigid on many things, once I know that they work.

You should do some actual research. The quality of learning in American public schools sucks.

You should do some actual research. The quality of learning in American public schools sucks.

Not all of them, but the ones that suck REALLY suck and drag down the average quality when looked at overall.

Ah, a cheerleader for the uncritical worship of 'diversity' for the sake of 'diversity.' So, the difficult, if not impossible, to measure benefits of this 'diversity' outweigh the value of academic achievement, in your mind?

The most significant problem with public K-12 schooling is that it lacks the very thing that has made our private K-12 and our universities by far the best in the world: Competition.

Sometimes perception is colored by reality. In my case, I have watched my niece home school her three sons. It doesn't seem to have worked very well. They have very little ability to interact with anyone outside of their "home school" group. They are socially awkward and seem to have very little confidence in dealing with situation they don't normally encounter. They tend to be overly protected and have no skills being developed that they could use to get a JOB.

They do know a lot about bugs and cartoons.

Not a fan of homeschooling or vouchers.

The most successful people I know went to public schools.

Sometimes perception is colored by reality. In my case, I have watched my niece home school her three sons. It doesn't seem to have worked very well. They have very little ability to interact with anyone outside of their "home school" group. They are socially awkward and seem to have very little confidence in dealing with situation they don't normally encounter. They tend to be overly protected and have no skills being developed that they could use to get a JOB.

They do know a lot about bugs and cartoons.

Not a fan of homeschooling or vouchers.

The most successful people I know went to public schools.

The most successful people you know still live in trailer parks.

I homeschooled my son for 4 years. It was a fantastic experience for both of us. He learned far more than when he went on to a government school, although I will say he learned what dope, sex, and swearing were while he was there.
The homeschooled kids I have met otherwise have been perfectly comfortable interacting with adults, well behaved, respectful. Some homeschooled kids have done very well. Like Justice Sandra Day O'Connor.

Forum List

Back