Homeschooling: Your Views, Please

None of you anti home school people have been able to tell me why it is any of your business that a parent home schools.

Do any of you care to?

I don't recall people saying homeschoolers were brilliant.

In time I may wade into this debate with a few facts in hand.
There's this local private school that only accepts top talent.. They love to advertise that their graduates have such high test results. I suppose if you only have top talent it's pretty hard to screw that up.
It's like two football coaches....one gets to pick top talent of his choice while the other one has to take everyone INCLUDING those who don't even want to play football.

Anyone want to guess who has the best Win/Loss record?
Don Shula does :)

Skull your comments are really the only one-sided ones here. I can't let you redesign my posts at will. I said many are not qualified and that needs to be corrected within the system.
How many?

And since I have shown you that on average home schooled kids perform better on all the accepted standardized tests that those people you think aren't qualified are still doing a pretty good job
Yeah, you finally came up with a Mooney Times article from 2009. I guess I just want more for homeschool kids who are being denied a good education.
And how many of those kids who are outperforming public school kids are being denied a good education?

You have no numbers, no proof nada.

You say I do nothing but post opinion yet you ignore the facts in the article because you don't like the paper that printed it?

Would you be more comfortable with Wikipedia?

And so what if the study was from 2009? Can you refute it with another study or not?

Ok, perhaps I was mistaken in my judgment of home schooling. If I am wrong, I am appreciative of anyone who can correct me. I'm not one to hang on to an old idea when I gain new information that disproves my previous beliefs. I just have another question or two before I change. Exactly which standardized tests show that Home schooled kids do as well as others? Are they college entrance exam tests, or tests taken by all home schoolers? What percentage of home schooled children actually take these tests? I have no doubt that a minutely small percentage of parents do a wonderful job of educating their kids, and that special group would certainly take the entrance exams required to go on to college, but what of the ones who receive little or no education, and no desire to take college entrance exams? If you can show me where a significant percentage of home schooled kids are in that group that compare closely to others, then I'm on your bandwagon.

Skull your comments are really the only one-sided ones here. I can't let you redesign my posts at will. I said many are not qualified and that needs to be corrected within the system.
How many?

And since I have shown you that on average home schooled kids perform better on all the accepted standardized tests that those people you think aren't qualified are still doing a pretty good job
Yeah, you finally came up with a Mooney Times article from 2009. I guess I just want more for homeschool kids who are being denied a good education.
And how many of those kids who are outperforming public school kids are being denied a good education?

You say I do nothing but post opinion yet you ignore the facts in the article because you don't like the paper that printed it?

And so what if the study was from 2009? Can you refute it with another study or not?

Ok, perhaps I was mistaken in my judgment of home schooling. If I am wrong, I am appreciative of anyone who can correct me. I'm not one to hang on to an old idea when I gain new information that disproves my previous beliefs. I just have another question or two before I change. Exactly which standardized tests show that Home schooled kids do as well as others? Are they college entrance exam tests, or tests taken by all home schoolers? What percentage of home schooled children actually take these tests? I have no doubt that a minutely small percentage of parents do a wonderful job of educating their kids, and that special group would certainly take the entrance exams required to go on to college, but what of the ones who receive little or no education, and no desire to take college entrance exams? If you can show me where a significant percentage of home schooled kids are in that group that compare closely to others, then I'm on your bandwagon.

As others have said, no doubt some kids don't do well in a homeschooled environment and there is no way to know if those kids would have done any better in a public school. There are no tests anywhere to evaluate that.

I have yet to meet a homeschooled kids, and as previously posted I have met hundreds of them, who was not articulate, well socialized, and literate. I have taken many dozens of applications from public schooled kids, however, who were not able to spell a lot of relatively simple words or who were not literate enough to competently fill out an employment application. I have also know many public school kids who accomplished themselves very well and went on to graduate college and be successful in whatever endeavors they tried.

Again, why must it be an either/or situation? Why not allow parents to make the best choices for their children in how those children are educated and trust them to do the best thing for their kids? Where did some get the idea that government is so much more noble, competent, caring, and effective than parents when it comes to raising kids? Why can't we accept that it is okay that many homeschooled kids thrive and many public schooled kids thrive? And it isn't for us to dictate to any parent which is best for his/her kids?

How many?

As others have said, no doubt some kids don't do well in a homeschooled environment and there is no way to know if those kids would have done any better in a public school. There are no tests anywhere to evaluate that.

I have yet to meet a homeschooled kids, and as previously posted I have met hundreds of them, who was not articulate, well socialized, and literate. I have taken many dozens of applications from public schooled kids, however, who were not able to spell a lot of relatively simple words or who were not literate enough to competently fill out an employment application. I have also know many public school kids who accomplished themselves very well and went on to graduate college and be successful in whatever endeavors they tried.

Again, why must it be an either/or situation? Why not allow parents to make the best choices for their children in how those children are educated and trust them to do the best thing for their kids? Where did some get the idea that government is so much more noble, competent, caring, and effective than parents when it comes to raising kids? Why can't we accept that it is okay that many homeschooled kids thrive and many public schooled kids thrive? And it isn't for us to dictate to any parent which is best for his/her kids?

Perhaps I'm a little closer to the situation than you are. I have had direct interaction with a home schooling situation. In Texas, a parent has the legal right to give her children no education at all if she so choses, and there is nothing to legally prevent it. Of course there are some who can and will give their children a wonderful home schooled education, but the ones that don't are free to do as they please regardless of the harm to the child. Nothing you can say will make me feel otherwise.

How many?

Perhaps I'm a little closer to the situation than you are. I have had direct interaction with a home schooling situation. In Texas, a parent has the legal right to give her children no education at all if she so choses, and there is nothing to legally prevent it. Of course there are some who can and will give their children a wonderful home schooled education, but the ones that don't are free to do as they please regardless of the harm to the child. Nothing you can say will make me feel otherwise.

We've already had that discussion about Texas homeschooling. I know a kid who was bullied in the public school to the point of suicide. Another who was so traumatized by experiences in the public school that he wound up in a mental institution. Is that justification to say that public schools should be closed?

Who are you or I to tell a parent what is best for his/her kid when it comes to that kid's education? Does one apparently bad home schooling situation mean the child would automatically have been better off in the public schools? Or that any child who doesn't fare well with home schooling would have done any better in a public school?

Okay, nothing I can say will make you feel better or, more correctly, affect your person convictions and/or prejudices, but I hope to influence those who still have open minds to understand that most children do thrive with homeschooling. The few who do not are not justification to not homeschool any more than the many kids who do not thrive in public school are justification to close the public schools.

Forum List

Back