Homeschooling: Your Views, Please

I was homeschooled as a child.

There are arguments made for and against it.

Would you please share your views on it here?

For a few children, that is the best option. For most it is not because there is purpose to the public schools that is far more important than book learning, and that is learning that you are one of us. When you start to lose that, you start to lose what binds us together.

While you can get better academic performance out of home-schooling, usually, because of the far greater level of attention available to each child, you lose out on the critical and binding experience of being an American child in the melting pot. That is a huge loss for the child and a serious issue for society, which is why a nation like Germany does not allow for such a thing. Couple that with the fact that most people who home-school here do so in order to try and shield their children from a reality and a society that they reject in part or in whole, and you have a deeply troubling situation.

For a few, yes, for the vast majority, no. You learn how to live here well, and you can only learn it this way, by dealing with your peers, all of them, as varied and difficult as that might at times.

I have seen this done well and done poorly.

If the parents are educated enough then this can be grand. If they are wealthy enough to locate someone else to teach the subjects that are not their forte then it is all the better. As long as they can meet the standards, it's awesome.

I do think that there are several programs that are on the market that are considered by many to be a complete waste of money and time.

I am not one of those people that is worried about socialization. There is far more networking today than 25-30 years ago.

It does tick me off when we have parents that decide to home school but do not pull through. They may withdraw their kids from school but are unprepared to institute a game plan OR the kids are thrown out and then the task is placed on the kid to follow through some online program. There are still children out there that are never sent to school. No home schooling program is in place either.

When it comes to homeschooling, there are a few things I'd like to share here:

• I was homeschooled from 6th grade onwards because of rabid animals known as bullies. Imagine as a child you're in the locker room after swim class, and the jocks with air between their ears found it fun to twist and whip their wet towels at you. Scum like them are why my parents pulled me out of public schooling.

• My parents gave me my schoolwork, and expected me to read through it, learn it, and pass it. My mother couldn't understand much of it; it didn't matter, because I loved her. My father was a computer engineer who would grade my exams, and rate my book reports with his high standards. He didn't much like spending time to teach me himself. He would say that I had to learn to be my own teacher, and to use my "God-given intellect" to read through and comprehend these studies on my own.

• There was little if any social aspect to my childhood. Probably because my dad was very religious as well as intelligent and, well, not inclined to spend money on anything unnecessary, including the gasoline required to drag me about to meet other kids. There were times, though, when I did meet young children my age, but only in passing as my father went about visiting other religious folk. I do think he loved me, but I don't think he valued my socialization over his financial competition with the rest of the extended family.

• It's true I lacked socialization deemed necessary for young kids that age. However, I was considered brilliant, articulate, and quiet. Basically I was smart, but I didn't know how to socialize with people my age. It was only after I attended college with stellar grades, got away from my father, and eventually became a CNA/Caregiver that I became acclimated and comfortable with human interaction. Now I can comfortably talk with Fred the 95-year-old veteran about the differences between poodles and pekingese, while wiping his soiled bottom. How's that for acclimation?

• But the stigma still remains that being homeschooled means you're a freakishly smart social dunce. However, I can say I never got into trouble with the law. Or got a teenage girl pregnant. Or got hit by another bully again. Or did something stupid out of peer pressure, anger, idiocy, or boredom. Or took illegal substances. Or developed a stupid and dirty mind typical of young adolescent boys in public schools nowadays. I didn't treat young teenage girls like pieces of meat, or expected them to behave immodestly, or got drunk and did stupid shit. I also didn't get grades not below excellent, either, because there were very little if any distractions to keep me from my studies. What other horror stories have I missed when it comes to public schools? My standards... weren't lowered, either.

Last edited:
I suppose that, if you are determined that your child should never be any more educated than you are, homeschooling is a wonderful idea.

As long as home schools met state requirements for a public education, go ahead.

That sentiment makes me feel a little wary, because I've heard elsewhere in places like Germany that are unreasonably controlling of homeschoolers. My schooling was from Christian Liberty Academy, although I'm no longer religious.

Glad you were able to escape that mind numbing stuff

You should not talk about what you don't understand.

I think its odd that any parent would believe they have to choose one over the other.

Mr H is correct about socialization but that doesn't mean parents/families cannot or should not involve themselves in their child's education.

I've seen examples of the best of both worlds combined in a child's education. I've also seen strictly home schooled kids who were social wrecks and unable to think beyond their religious brainwashing. Fundies are raising a generation of home schooled cripples.

Not saying it has to be that way but that's what I've seen.

This makes me think of a couple of experiences from my days as a substitute teacher.

One morning a 3rd grade gal announced to me that she was a Jehovah's Witness and didn't participate in the Pledge of Allegiance. I said fine- remain seated then. No big deal.

But even better...

The other was when a 4th grader challenged me during a unit on earth sciences. I forget how the conversation got started, but I remember asking her (Ms. "earth is 6,000 years old") why archaeologists have yet to find a 10 million year old fossil of a modern-day house cat.

Her reply... "they haven't looked hard enough". At that point I quickly changed the subject LOL.

For a few children, that is the best option. For most it is not because there is purpose to the public schools that is far more important than book learning, and that is learning that you are one of us. When you start to lose that, you start to lose what binds us together.

While you can get better academic performance out of home-schooling, usually, because of the far greater level of attention available to each child, you lose out on the critical and binding experience of being an American child in the melting pot. That is a huge loss for the child and a serious issue for society, which is why a nation like Germany does not allow for such a thing. Couple that with the fact that most people who home-school here do so in order to try and shield their children from a reality and a society that they reject in part or in whole, and you have a deeply troubling situation.

For a few, yes, for the vast majority, no. You learn how to live here well, and you can only learn it this way, by dealing with your peers, all of them, as varied and difficult as that might at times.

Homeschooling has come a long way, and responsible parents recognize the importance of socializing with peers. That is why they get them involved in sports, music, scouts, etc. The schools where I live, have to provide equal access to those children, so they can be involved in extra curricular activities.

Im all for it. Parents have to do what is best for their children.
I have a batle about to begin up here.The NDP appear to to Seize menno children

What they are doing is seizing children because the state does not beleive in gay marriage. So the state is seizing children for re indoctrination.

Right here in Manitoba.

Last edited:
I suppose that, if you are determined that your child should never be any more educated than you are, homeschooling is a wonderful idea.

You have an excellent point.

And, my bet is that most people are simply not qualified to teach their kids much more than not pooping in their diaper.

We need to demand much better education than we're currently getting. Pay teachers what they're worth or settle for less.

And, I still say that parents don't have to choose one over the other.

Homeschooling has come a long way, and responsible parents recognize the importance of socializing with peers. That is why they get them involved in sports, music, scouts, etc. The schools where I live, have to provide equal access to those children, so they can be involved in extra curricular activities.
I am aware of that but it's not enough and not the same. We are a partisan nation. A sectarian education doesn't help that, even if you play sports with other kids.

I am aware of that but it's not enough and not the same. We are a partisan nation. A sectarian education doesn't help that, even if you play sports with other kids.

What part of the typical school day teaches kids the lessons that you're referencing in the "melting pot" if not the team work required to be part of a sport or the band?? Do those not bind and unify young people, along with organizations such as the scouts which get them involved in their communities?? You already said it wasn't the book learning aspect.

What part of the typical school day teaches kids the lessons that you're referencing in the "melting pot" if not the team work required to be part of a sport or the band?? Do those not bind and unify young people, along with organizations such as the scouts which get them involved in their communities?? You already said it wasn't the book learning aspect.
Team-work has its place, but I'm more interested in them having to deal with the mean kids, the nice kids, the smart kids, the dumb kids, the cute kids, the ugly kids, the athletic kids, and the bookish kids. Your real education comes from learning to deal with kids you don't have the first thing in common with, or at least it sure looks that way to you at first. The kid who kicks your ass teaches you as much as the kid who just watches, but then helps you up. You don't, and can't learn the same things in self-selected clubs and sports. The advantage of a pubic school is whatever your society is and is up to currently, that's what you will experience - good, bad, or indifferent.

Team-work has its place, but I'm more interested in them having to deal with the mean kids, the nice kids, the smart kids, the dumb kids, the cute kids, the ugly kids, the athletic kids, and the bookish kids. Your real education comes from learning to deal with kids you don't have the first thing in common with, or at least it sure looks that way to you at first. The kid who kicks your ass teaches you as much as the kid who just watches, but then helps you up. You don't, and can't learn the same things in self-selected clubs and sports. The advantage of a pubic school is whatever your society is and is up to currently, that's what you will experience - good, bad, or indifferent.

Were you ever involved in any of those activities?? You seem to have a distorted perception, because they are not sheltered environments. They are microcosms of real life situations, and yes, they have all the personality types you listed that kids need to learn how to interact with on a daily basis. Not much of that occurs during English or Biology where the teacher should be keeping order in a self-contained classroom.

I had two kids in homeschooling. The eldest was from 7-12th grade and the youngest was kindergarten to 4th grade. The first was in the Christie McCullough school and the second in Zion Academy. The eldest graduated at 16 and was in college at 17. The youngest wanted to attend public school and did so. They both made high scores and the youngest is a straight A student. They are better than i ever was at schooling. I was a jock and made it through on sports ability which left me academically in a deficit. My parents had no education past the 7th grade so they could not help me with school work. Fortunately my kids had their mothers and myself to help them, which helped more than any school program could..

I did not push them into sports since I find that activity to be secondary to an education and I did not want them to suffer from injuries as I did..

I had two kids in homeschooling. The eldest was from 7-12th grade and the youngest was kindergarten to 4th grade. The first was in the Christie McCullough school and the second in Zion Academy. The eldest graduated at 16 and was in college at 17. The youngest wanted to attend public school and did so. They both made high scores and the youngest is a straight A student. They are better than i ever was at schooling. I was a jock and made it through on sports ability which left me academically in a deficit. My parents had no education past the 7th grade so they could not help me with school work. Fortunately my kids had their mothers and myself to help them, which helped more than any school program could..

I did not push them into sports since I find that activity to be secondary to an education and I did not want them to suffer from injuries as I did..

Hold on, I need to snag Mr. H.:D

Were you ever involved in any of those activities?? You seem to have a distorted perception, because they are not sheltered environments. They are microcosms of real life situations, and yes, they have all the personality types you listed that kids need to learn how to interact with on a daily basis. Not much of that occurs during English or Biology where the teacher should be keeping order in a self-contained classroom.
I was and I support schools as clients. Your perception is incorrect. They are like letting the animals run the zoo, which is a great way to learn the laws of the jungle and what exists in the real world, not mom's garage and dinning room table.

I was and I support schools as clients. Your perception is incorrect. They are like letting the animals run the zoo, which is a great way to learn the laws of the jungle and what exists in the real world, not mom's garage and dinning room table.

I was a teacher. My perception is correct. Again, step into present day, and acknowledge that many parents who choose this route are capable, and some of them aren't even Christians.:eusa_shhh:

I was a teacher. My perception is correct. Again, step into present day, and acknowledge that many parents who choose this route are capable, and some of them aren't even Christians.:eusa_shhh:
A few but it's still a lousy idea from the standpoint of a society. which is all that matters in this case.

And if you were a teacher, it must have been for the younger guys. Those you can get to shut up from time to time.

Forum List

Back