Herschel Walker gets shellacked in debate

Your concession is accepted.
TrumpLaugh.jpg

Hmm. Some might even go as far as calling that a 'prop'.
He was about to explain the badge, but the mods cut him off and chastised him for pulling out the "prop," which basically refers to any kind of visual aid like a chart, a bible, or a picture of one's in-laws.

That moment did not go as well as planned for Walker, for sure.

He was about to explain the badge, but the mods cut him off and chastised him for pulling out the "prop," which basically refers to any kind of visual aid like a chart, a bible, or a picture of one's in-laws.

That moment did not go as well as planned for Walker, for sure.
Do you think it convinced any LEO, agent or anyone actually working on the job? I don't.

Do you think it convinced any LEO, agent or anyone actually working on the job? I don't.
I think most LEOs would generally not be receptive to a private citizen pulling out an honorary badge. They take the badge very seriously, for good reason.

But had he explained that he was given an honorary badge by a sheriff, and he keeps it close to his heart like he will do for LEOs with his votes, it could have possibly been a net positive part of the debate for him for the public viewers.

I think most LEOs would generally not be receptive to a private citizen pulling out an honorary badge. They take the badge very seriously, for good reason.

But had he explained that he was given an honorary badge by a sheriff, and he keeps it close to his heart like he will do for LEOs with his votes, it could have possibly been a net positive part of the debate for him for the public viewers.
So, you blame the moderation, and I blame the bad candidate that seemed to eschew unqualified incompetence during every moment of that debate. Simply different takes. :dunno:

Yeah, this is an incredibly interesting race, and it will be quite telling to see how Georgia voters see it.

We've got two intelligent and articulate black men who [snipped]
I've never heard Warnoc speak, but neither articulate (especially) or intelligent are words that come to mind when I hear Walker speak, quite the opposite. To me he sounds like he's been hit in the head too many times and I'm not saying that to be mean or funny, that's just the impression he makes on me.

That would have required a different man.

But sterling example of what "articulate" means in my mind, kudos.

I've never heard Warnoc speak, but neither articulate (especially) or intelligent are words that come to mind when I hear Walker speak, quite the opposite. To me he sounds like he's been hit in the head too many times and I'm not saying that to be mean or funny, that's just the impression he makes on me.
While his accent is that of a poor Georgian Black man, he made a lot of great points in the debate, clearly thinking on his feet, which is a sign of intelligence.

Implicit bias on your part perhaps? :)

Before I moved to Redneckville myself, I used to think that the Southern drawl and slow manner of speaking did not sound very intelligent. After meeting lots of brilliant people with such an accent, I don't think that anymore.

While his accent is that of a poor Georgian Black man, he made a lot of great points in the debate, clearly thinking on his feet, which is a sign of intelligence.

Implicit bias on your part perhaps? :)

Before I moved to Redneckville myself, I used to think that the Southern drawl and slow manner of speaking did not sound very intelligent. After meeting lots of brilliant people with such an accent, I don't think that anymore.
What do you mean by implicit bias? How am I biased against him?

Personally I like the way some southern drawls sound. Other voices grate on my nerves, drawl or no drawl however I tend to find deeper male voices pleasing to the ear.

On the other hand, I will admit I find intelligence in men appealing and I just don't hear it when I hear Walker speak, although thus far this has been limited to his appearances on the nightly news over the last few weeks.

I know many will chalk it up to him being a (potential) politician but I believe him to be dishonest/deceptive. Only time will tell if my assessment is accurate but it is misleading and actually forbidden in my field to mislead people into thinking you're a law enforcement officer when you're not:

What does honorary deputy mean?​
(4) defines a "honorary deputy" as any person having no law enforcement authority except as a private citizen.​

One is a mental patient,
One is a Pastor.

And now you hate pastors too.
You hated the police on J6.

What's next, children killed in school shootings?

Oh wait................ that's right, you already did that ^^^^^

For the RWI, Cancer Children are next.
A pastor that supports abortion isn't a Christian.

What do you mean by implicit bias? How am I biased against him?

Personally I like the way some southern drawls sound. Other voices grate on my nerves, drawl or no drawl however I tend to find deeper male voices pleasing to the ear. On the other hand, I will admit I find intelligence in men appealing and I just don't hear it when I hear Walker speak, although thus far this has been limited to his appearances on the nightly news over the last few weeks.
I think I explained implicit bias well, but it was just speculation on my part and mostly in jest, but it is true I think that to many people, a Southern accent sounds less intelligent than a Yankee one.

I accept that's not you.

Regards,
Jim

What does honorary deputy mean?​
(4) defines a "honorary deputy" as any person having no law enforcement authority except as a private citizen.​
You did not provide a source for your googling.

Here's what a lawyer who knows Georgia says, answering the question from another person who received the same honor...

This is given to someone who is a big supporter of law enforcement in Georgia. You are being recognized for your long time support and relationship with law enforcement and/or the civil duties you have performed for your law enforcement society.

Shaquille O'Neil was made an honorary deputy in Alabama for his sponsorship of police programs for inner-city schoolchildren, for example.

M. Strisik Esq.

As long as Walker is not running around making arrests, he has a right to be proud of his recognition and honorary title. It was extremely relevant to the debate question he was answering!

You did not provide a source for your googling.

Here's what a lawyer who knows Georgia says, answering the question from another person who received the same honor...

This is given to someone who is a big supporter of law enforcement in Georgia. You are being recognized for your long time support and relationship with law enforcement and/or the civil duties you have performed for your law enforcement society.

Shaquille O'Neil was made an honorary deputy in Alabama for his sponsorship of police programs for inner-city schoolchildren, for example.

M. Strisik Esq.

As long as Walker is not running around making arrests, he has a right to be proud of his recognition and honorary title. It was extremely relevant to the debate question he was answering!
I didn't provide a source because it was not specific to Spaulding County, Georgia, however I did do enough Googling to verify that being an honorary deputy/sheriff/police officer does not convey law enforcement powers upon the recipient.

I take no exception at all to him being proud of supporting the police, the issue however is his deceit in the way he has lied to imply that he's actually a law enforcement officer or worked in the past as an FBI agent.

I know the difference between someone stating "I/I've worked with law enforcement" and "I/I've worked in law enforcement". It appears to me that Walker has intentionally misstated and misrepresented what he's actually done and achieved to give people the impression that he has somehow earned the right to have been granted police powers when that is patently not the case.

What is particularly disturbing for me is not just that people who support him don't seem to know the difference, present company excluded, but that 1) he himself doesn't seem to know the difference, 2) he doesn't think anyone else will know the difference and just take him at his word and/or 3) he doesn't know how this makes him look to people who do know the difference (it makes him look deceitful at best and ignorant at worst, in my opinion).

[snipped]

KEY FACTS​

Walker pulled out the badge during a tense exchange where Warnock said "I've never pretended to be a police officer" after Walker accused the senator of not supporting law enforcement.​
"This is real," Walker said after the debate moderator reprimanded him for using a "prop," which violated the rules of the debate.​
Walker only held up the badge for about two seconds, but there is no record of him ever being a police officer with any actual power.​
The Republican has a lengthy history of stating otherwise, such as during a 2019 speech where he mentioned he was an FBI "agent" as he told a story of angrily grabbing his gun with the intent of killing a man, and a 2017 speech where he claimed to have "FBI clearance" (Walker said in an interview this month his FBI assertion in the 2019 speech was a joke and the incident led him to seek mental health treatment).​
Walker has repeatedly said he received training at the FBI Academy in Quantico, Virginia, and articles from 1989 do suggest he attended a program there with the hope of becoming a future agent, but there's no sign he ever did any work for the organization—FBI agents must at least hold a bachelor's degree, which Walker does not have.​
Walker's campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Forbes.​

SURPRISING FACT​

A campaign spokeswoman told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution Walker is an honorary deputy in Cobb County and three other unspecified Georgia counties, but the Cobb County Police Department told the newspaper it had no records backing up Walker's claim.​

CONTRA​

Warnock also chided Walker for once threatening a "shootout with the police," referring to a 2001 incident where Irving, Texas, officers said Walker threatened to shoot them as they responded to a domestic violence complaint.​

KEY BACKGROUND​

Walker's campaign has been plagued by scandal in recent weeks, after news broke that the anti-abortion allegedly Republican paid for his then-girlfriend to terminate her pregnancy in 2009. Walker denies the story. The Georgia race is among the tightest Senate contests in the midterms and could determine control of the Senate, with the razor-thin margin expected to determine which party wins power. An Emerson College poll this week found Warnock with a two-percentage-point lead over Walker—within the survey's three-point margin of error.​

TANGENT​

Warnock demurred when asked whether he would back a Biden reelection campaign in 2024, but Walker gave an enthusiastic "yes" when asked if he’d support another Trump presidential run, calling the ex-president a "friend."​

One is a mental patient,
One is a Pastor.

And now you hate pastors too.
You hated the police on J6.

What's next, children killed in school shootings?

Oh wait................ that's right, you already did that ^^^^^

For the RWI, Cancer Children are next.
A “pastor” who tried to kill his ex-wife and neglects his children. You love criminals, especially those who attack women and children.

Forum List

Back