Heroic NFL player Deangelo Williams revokes daughters participation award; Demands she do better!!

Evidently some parents here didn't start trying to teach their kids life lessons until they felt it wouldn't hurt their "feelings".
Very good point

Five year olds better start learning that their feelings come second to winning and losing
They do?

Is that what you taught your kids?
Look...it's a tough world

Five year olds need to learn to start sucking it up and taking it like a man. Participation ribbons are for pussies
Kids are smart.

Good habits and attitudes can be learned at an early age.

That way they don't end up in constant search of safe places.

I think we have enough people who think they're victims.
She is five years old....let her have fun
If she likes her participation ribbon....who cares?

The desire to "toughen up" five year olds amazes me

Once again.....today's kids are wiser and better prepared for life than "we" used to be. This idea that they are soft and unprepared for life is bullshit.

Every Major League Baseball player drafted since the 1990's received participation trophies when they played little league. Every single one.

Every college softball player currently vying for a chance to play in the College World Series received participation trophies when they played Little League or Pony. Every last one. And they are tough as fucking nails.

It's bullshit. You fuckers are like the members of every generation who have grown up to be unhappy. You look at young people and take a shit on them. It makes you feel better about yourselves.

Lame. Believe me.

The left wonders why their children turn out to be whiny snowflakes
You can see the Regressive Lefties using the same strategy here as they use elsewhere: They isolate this particular incident or this particular topic and pretend it isn't part of a much larger issue.

It's just a participation medal, it's just one race, etc. That minimizes the big picture significance and makes deflecting much easier.

This is a cultural issue, it's a big picture issue, and we're already seeing the predictable results: Safe places and tender snowflakes.

The left wonders why their children turn out to be whiny snowflakes
You can see the Regressive Lefties using the same strategy here as they use elsewhere: They isolate this particular incident or this particular topic and pretend it isn't part of a much larger issue.

It's just a participation medal, it's just one race, etc. That minimizes the big picture significance and makes deflecting much easier.

This is a cultural issue, it's a big picture issue, and we're already seeing the predictable results: Safe places and tender snowflakes.

You need to get out more. Today's youth kick ass.

And....you might be the softest snowflake here. Passive aggressive little snowflake.

Earmuffs, bitch.

She has plenty of time for DeAngelo to pressure her into winning is the only thing that matters
Binary thinking.

It could just be that he's teaching his daughter that IF you're going to compete, do your best and learn from your mistakes.

Or perhaps that it is much better to earn than to have something handed to you for nothing.

These are good lessons for kids to learn early, so that they don't end up looking for safe places the rest of their lives.

At five years old he should be more concerned about whether she had fun
The father feels that some lessons are worth learning early before bad habits set in.

He's a loving father who is putting effort into raising his child well. And he's criticized for it.

How do you actually know that? Maybe he's an abusive asshole. Maybe he neglects his kids. Maybe he's teaching them to be bullies. Who knows? This is one small incident. Why so many people want to make so much out of it, one way or another, I don't know.

Whether DeAngelo Williams is a good parent or not is not something that can be determined based on what he says happened at this single school field day. ;)

She has plenty of time for DeAngelo to pressure her into winning is the only thing that matters
Binary thinking.

It could just be that he's teaching his daughter that IF you're going to compete, do your best and learn from your mistakes.

Or perhaps that it is much better to earn than to have something handed to you for nothing.

These are good lessons for kids to learn early, so that they don't end up looking for safe places the rest of their lives.

The father feels that some lessons are worth learning early before bad habits set in.

He's a loving father who is putting effort into raising his child well. And he's criticized for it.

How do you actually know that? Maybe he's an abusive asshole. Maybe he neglects his kids. Maybe he's teaching them to be bullies. Who knows? This is one small incident. Why so many people want to make so much out of it, one way or another, I don't know.

Whether DeAngelo Williams is a good parent or not is not something that can be determined based on what he says happened at this single school field day. ;)
You can assume the bad, I'll assume the good, until something happens that would make me think otherwise.

Regardless, I think he did the right thing here.

What a prick.
Abusive parent.

Abusive? That's about as silly as calling Williams heroic.

She said she got a ribbon for winning. He told her she hadn't won (which she hadn't) and gave the ribbon back. If that's abuse, you have an extraordinarily low bar for what constitutes abuse.
If there are 6 people in the race then somebody is going to finish 6th. Why give that kid a hard time ? Abusive parent indeed.
You writing that from your safe zone?

What a prick.
Abusive parent.

She said she got a ribbon for winning. He told her she hadn't won (which she hadn't) and gave the ribbon back. If that's abuse, you have an extraordinarily low bar for what constitutes abuse.
If there are 6 people in the race then somebody is going to finish 6th. Why give that kid a hard time ? Abusive parent indeed.
No, from the Twenty First Century.

What a prick.
Abusive parent.

People like yourself is the reason today's kids need safe zones. Just for that reason alone proves your way is abusive.

What a prick.
Abusive parent.

People like yourself is the reason today's kids need safe zones. Just for that reason alone proves your way is abusive.
I have no idea what a safe zone is. Is it somewhere the kids can get away from idiot parents ?

I have no idea what a safe zone is. Is it somewhere the kids can get away from idiot parents ?
It's where college kids go if they see Trump's name written in chauk on the sidewalk. Liberal kids today are a bunch of pussies and are products of parents like yourself and the liberal education system.

I am curious Tommy. Please explain what, indeed, is this specific abuse?

Is it neglect?

Physical?

Mental?

Emotional?

Medical?

Sexual?

It appears that Tommy is qualified and has made an assessment concerning this child's well being.

It would appear that we have a medical professional among us and he has examined the child and we dare not question his diagnosis.

Evidently some parents here didn't start trying to teach their kids life lessons until they felt it wouldn't hurt their "feelings".
Very good point

Five year olds better start learning that their feelings come second to winning and losing
They do?

Is that what you taught your kids?
Look...it's a tough world

Five year olds need to learn to start sucking it up and taking it like a man. Participation ribbons are for pussies
Kids are smart.

Good habits and attitudes can be learned at an early age.

That way they don't end up in constant search of safe places.

I think we have enough people who think they're victims.
She is five years old....let her have fun
If she likes her participation ribbon....who cares?

The desire to "toughen up" five year olds amazes me
Yeah, we want to teach them to work hard and earn what you get.
You want to teach them at that age that being gay is okay.

No Tommy. It is where they go when they can't cope with reality.

Happy to help!

From Megaphones to Muzzles

"To me, an institution of higher learning should be a place where I can have my ideas challenged and develop as a person," Menon says. "I can't believe this is happening on college campuses, where we are supposed to be engaging in discussion and debate about what we believe about the world." A spokeswoman for the student association, Emma Mazour, says in an email that the main discussion about the non-binding resolution centered on its implementation challenges. Menon says that is not the case, as he offered an amendment to create a simple shared remembrance (such as via a mass email) instead of a harder-to-organize moment of silence.

Regardless, muzzles have replaced megaphones on campus in many cases. And Bettina Aptheker, one of the leaders of the Berkeley Free Speech Movement, is concerned at the trend.

"As abhorrent as some speech is, and I certainly think [some] is, the administration of a university should not be in the position of policing it, because it's a very slippery slope," says Aptheker, who is now a feminist studies professor at the University of California–Santa Cruz. "A lot of us liberal types or radical types could say racism is on the upswing, and I agree with that. But I don't think the solution to that is restricting freedom of speech," she adds.

Students in the recent demonstrations are looking not for liberty but for protection – a "safe space," in the modern lexicon. But that term (Lukianoff says he can't trace its origin) means far more than a dormitory impenetrable to intruders, also connoting a place where students, especially minority students, can be themselves, expressing their own struggles as an underrepresented or underserved group.

Oh, and: Obama hits 'coddled' liberal college students

There ya go!

Its amazing that ensuring a 5 year old isnt given a ribbon is so important to you guys.

You are setting new standards of dumb.

Maybe you should get a ribbon ?

Binary thinking.

You can assume the bad, I'll assume the good, until something happens that would make me think otherwise.

Regardless, I think he did the right thing here.

My point was actually that I don't know why anyone would assume they know what kind of parent the man is at all based on one incident that we don't even know for certain just how it happened.

I am curious Tommy. Please explain what, indeed, is this specific abuse?

Is it neglect?

Physical?

Mental?

Emotional?

Medical?

Sexual?

It appears that Tommy is qualified and has made an assessment concerning this child's well being.

It would appear that we have a medical professional among us and he has examined the child and we dare not question his diagnosis.
No specific abuse....the guy is just being a dick to a five year old

Its amazing that ensuring a 5 year old isnt given a ribbon is so important to you guys.

You are setting new standards of dumb.

Maybe you should get a ribbon ?
You really are dense. It is not about the ribbon. He wants his daughter to not only try harder, he wants her to succeed and feels that ribbons for participation are not enough for her to advance her through life and to settle to being mediocre.

He doesn't want her to just try or participate.

Forum List

Back