Here We Go: Teacher Shortages 22-23

I will just say this. There's a reason your frankly ignorant opinion is in the vast minority. Thank God for that.
You still won’t say what subject you teach.

And WW’s proposal, now clarified, would be very helpful to students as far as their education, but of course it would require teachers to work year-round, like other professionals do. I can see why you’d balk at losing your summer vacation, but the starting salaries WOULD go up and bring more equity to the field.

No need for the personal insults. I am a highly educated woman who achieved great academic success (top in my class), along with career success, and it is unnecessary to call people ignorant simply because they disagree with you. I COULD say something insulting about education majors, but I won’t sink to your level.

Those 3 things Sue...Bingo!!!!

My daughter was in drama and competitive dance. She just got the Big Job at a Fortune 200 company. She went back to her dance studio to thank the director. She said even though she didn't go into dance, performing taught her so much about dedication, perseverance, performing under pressure, poise and confidence.

The director--who I love and whose boys I taught--was like, "yeah honey you're welcome. But you're also preaching to the choir." heh

And WW’s proposal, now clarified, would be very helpful to students as far as their education, but of course it would require teachers to work year-round, like other professionals do. I can see why you’d balk at losing your summer vacation, but the starting salaries WOULD go up and bring more equity to the field.

No need for the personal insults. I am a highly educated woman who achieved great academic success (top in my class), along with career success, and it is unnecessary to call people ignorant simply because they disagree with you. I COULD say something insulting about education majors, but I won’t sink to your level.

I do not give every particular on message boards. If you don't know why that is, as a woman, then I guess you haven't been on the internet very long.

You would be right about education majors. I am beholden to facts and truth, as a learner and teacher. So I grant that you are correct, to our shame.

But you are dead wrong about arts education. It's not that your opinion is poor. You are wrong. There are reams of research--a vast body--outlining what arts education does for learning, the brain, etc. Education is about a great deal more than pouring in facts to memorize. If the brain is not primed, all the pouring in is inefficient. That's how you get adults who don't know the Civil War from the Revolutionary War.

The arts prime the brain. The make you a better thinker, smarter, better able to synthesize knowledge. Sorry, not sorry, this is my field.

Education majors are no less important than any other majors. People who have their cushy high paying jobs benefitted from their education.

These videos of dunderheads not knowing what year the US was founded, the Civil War, etc--it's red meat for public school hating conservatives but not much more. It proves that there are SOME bad teachers/schools out there, and a lot more students who will completely tune out of what we're teaching if it's not of interest. It's also blatantly obvious that these outfits might get 10 young adults who give the right answer but only feature the one who gives the hilariously wrong answer.

Knowing historical dates is not APPLIED knowledge and it rarely gets you a job. I am not saying history isn't important. But why is it MORE important than vocational education or the arts for students who are talented in those areas?

WHO SAID? The ancient Greeks certainly didn't think so. Read Plato's The Republic.

Lisa558
Education should teach people how to live, not just how to make a living. That's the failing of the system. The time and place to teach life-skills is when people are gathered in one place and you have their attention; that would be the schoolhouse.

Education should teach people how to live, not just how to make a living. That's the failing of the system. The time and place to teach life-skills is when people are gathered in one place and you have their attention; that would be the schoolhouse.
I think all high school students should take a course on basic financial literacy. (I do volunteer tutoring on the subject, and it is appalling how little some people know. I‘ve come across people who don’t know that a loan involves interest and think instead that if you borrow $1000, you just pay back that $1000.)

But not in a practical sense. So I am sure Little Timmy knew the answers to those questions for his test, and then promptly forgot about them.
If not, then most liberal arts education can be tossed as being impractical as well.

Learning to think abstractly
Solve problems
Communicate effectively

Oh yeah. The arts, drama, theater, music, dance, visual arts, performing--have nothing to say about any of that. Nope.

You really have a thing with extrapolating your own experience on the whole. It happened to you; you did it, so this is how it should be for everyone.
:rolleyes:

ART presents himself as the all-knowing 'godfather' of educational experience. He fails to take into account that the point of view of the student might be very different from his.
Who the frak is ART?

Why would ANYONE insult EDUCATION MAJORS

Forum List

Back